corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Acer Randomly Shuts Off (Sam?)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Acer Randomly Shuts Off (Sam?)
dannymccann

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 11 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Acer laptop randomly shuts off (from Windows to black screen no power, as though the power has been cut to the house).

I dont use the battery as it's shit, cleaned it out a couple of months ago and CPU temps (monitored on SpeedFan) sit at idle at 37c, around 50 - 60 when fully working (dual core).

I think I saw someone mentioning the Jack becomes loose on the motherboard, is there an easy fix for this? Obviously its miles out of warranty and there is nothing wrong with the power pack or anything, but there is nothing wrong with the speed of the laptop or anything like that so I dont want to just replace it for replacings sake

Cheers
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Nov 11 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's not overheating when it does it then yes probably sounds like the DC jack on the motherboard has become unsoldered.

You might find if you 'wiggle' the power cable where it goes into the DC jack it'll probably switch off then too.

It is essentially just unsoldering the old jack and soldering a new one on, however they are not easy jobs to do (you have to completely strip the laptop down for a start before you can even get to the motherboard).

I have a place that I use which repairs these sort of things all day long using all the proper gear @ Ł100 inc. courier both ways.

This is a very common problem on laptops unfortunately (someone else on here was experiencing the same issue the other day in fact) - the reason why this happens is over time because of the heat it makes the solder quite brittle so the slightest yank of the power cable will unseat the DC jack off the motherboard etc. The other problem is manufacturers use lead-free solder which for anyone that's into soldering will tell you is really crap.

There are some videos on YouTube you could look at if you feel confident to solder yourself (search for "dc jack repair") and do a Google search for "acer <model number> service manual" and you should be able to find a PDF which will tell you in what order to disassemble your laptop without fucking things up.

Hope this helps.
nathy_87

3rd Nov 11 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny that, my Acer mini tower does this (aint used it in ages now), just give up with it, wanna buy it for spares and repairs?
Russ

3rd Nov 11 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why would he need an acer mini tower for spares
nathy_87

3rd Nov 11 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

repair it and sell it on.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Nov 11 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
repair it and sell it on.

Would only be worth it if I had the PC for free to be honest, I'd make no profit out of it otherwise as secondhand PCs (in particular old ones) aren't worth much.

The odd free PC I get given I refurb and sell on eBay, and just donate some cash to charity TBH.
dannymccann

3rd Nov 11 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not worth 100 to fix for it to break again in 6 months, ill look at replacements...cheers
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Nov 11 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just sell it mate, and use the money towards a new laptop.

New Poll