corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polycarb Windows

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polycarb Windows
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Nov 11 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How safe are they in terms of breaking into a car. Thinking of poly carbing the corsa but i dont want it to be getting broken into easyer than if it had glass ones.

Any thoughts??
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Nov 11 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on what you use and how its secured.

Mine are 2mm and riveted and would snap if you lent on them.

Ste W and Mike B used 4mm lexan proper stuff which is a bit stronger, not tested it but done properly that may actually be better than glass.
GteRedtop

5th Nov 11 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking to get these fitted to my corsa, hasv been looking at what prices they are for all four as there is no point just having the rear three and also how they all fit in
Jed D

5th Nov 11 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if a thief wants to be in they'll be in mate... JordyCarter locked his keys in his car at teeside meet and i was gob smacked how easy it was to bend the door back and unlock it...
bent it back into shape and couldn't even tell
presuming its a corsa
Linch

5th Nov 11 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bending doors back, doing it the Amateur way then lol
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Nov 11 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noobs, I'd have been in without bending anything
Linch

5th Nov 11 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same, shh though secrets
Jed D

5th Nov 11 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant say things like that when your from the NE linch

[Edited on 05-11-2011 by Jed D]
Linch

5th Nov 11 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye that will be me on the blacklist now
djgritt
Premium Member

5th Nov 11 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine were Lexan Polycarb - very resistant to impact and they still had some flexibility left which I would say would probably be enough to stop most attempts to get through them - when they were off the car, I was able to bend the cut sheets quite far without any effect on the material.

I assume you won't be intending to use the door windows any more?

If you were, they would get scratched to fuck and make the windows a pain to see through

If you are going for sliders and intending to use the car as a daily, that may prove uncomfortable, mine was horrible to drive in the sun, next to no ventilation atall through the front sliders...

JordyCarter

5th Nov 11 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
if a thief wants to be in they'll be in mate... JordyCarter locked his keys in his car at teeside meet and i was gob smacked how easy it was to bend the door back and unlock it...
bent it back into shape and couldn't even tell
presuming its a corsa

haha i remember this, tbh it is amatuer but its also quick litrally walked over just pulled it back arm in pull lock up pushed it back brand spanking new door wouldnt even know the difference.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

5th Nov 11 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Mine were Lexan Polycarb - very resistant to impact and they still had some flexibility left which I would say would probably be enough to stop most attempts to get through them - when they were off the car, I was able to bend the cut sheets quite far without any effect on the material.

I assume you won't be intending to use the door windows any more?

If you were, they would get scratched to fuck and make the windows a pain to see through

If you are going for sliders and intending to use the car as a daily, that may prove uncomfortable, mine was horrible to drive in the sun, next to no ventilation atall through the front sliders...

I was going to keep them on the manual window winders but your point about the scratches makes me think otherwise. Anyway of getting around this?

Also is it best just to buy a few sheets of lexan polycarb take the original windows out and then use them as a template and cut my own? Or just buy some ready made ones off a deecent company?
djgritt
Premium Member

5th Nov 11 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
I was going to keep them on the manual window winders but your point about the scratches makes me think otherwise. Anyway of getting around this?

Also is it best just to buy a few sheets of lexan polycarb take the original windows out and then use them as a template and cut my own? Or just buy some ready made ones off a deecent company?

Erm, don't fit Polys to the front is all I can suggest - there is no way of avoiding scratches, they will likely get scratched when you wash it, mine did.

I bought mine for not much more than £150 for a full window kit last autumn, with sliders and pop-vents on the rears - http://www.acwmotorsportplastics.co.uk/ - couldn't recommend them enough, very good guys to deal with, and good prices

[Edited on 05-11-2011 by djgritt]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

5th Nov 11 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We made the polycarbs on mine. Got a deal on a load of offcuts, used the standard windows as a template, jigsaw with a good blade, done. Just got to be steady with the cutting so you don't end up with wonky edges as all edges are visible on the rears, unless you put the seal back on.

Even without the deal that we got, the sheets I was planning to order where under £90 so your still talking a saving.
AK

6th Nov 11 at 05:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really wouldnt bother if it was a road car....
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Nov 11 at 06:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

Agree 100%...
Alex_Rally

6th Nov 11 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

linch u already where on the list ......
Hodgy

6th Nov 11 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by geordie_corsa

lol.....
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

6th Nov 11 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

Its going to be my daily haha. Are they realy that bad to live with?

What about just doing the rears or again would there just be no point?
Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 11 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you go about removing the glass when its bonded on?
Mike
Premium Member

6th Nov 11 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For a daily there's no point, you're never really going to feel a benefit whilst removing the ability to open your windows, which is massively impractical on a road car. Think car parks where you've got to get a ticket on entry, toll roads, drive throughs, asking for directions, letting out heat in summer, amongst various other reasons.
Mike
Premium Member

6th Nov 11 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
How do you go about removing the glass when its bonded on?

I used the easy option and paid a pro. He had the same tool that we had but he knew how to use it.
Jed D

6th Nov 11 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by geordie_corsa

Steve
Premium Member

6th Nov 11 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonder how much autoglass would want for privellage
Mike
Premium Member

6th Nov 11 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just found a local fella on Yell.com, charged £70 to remove everything bar the door windows and then came back after the rollcage and paint had been done to refit the windscreen. I think he worked it out as £10 per window for removal then £30 to refit the windcreen

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polycarb Windows 22 database queries in 0.0120630 seconds