corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Thoughts on this - Ebay integration

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thoughts on this - Ebay integration
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
21st Nov 11 at 01:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/latest-ebay-alfas-for-sale/

List of cars for sale, syndicated from Ebay.

Spammy or useful?

I've been playing about with the Ebay interfaces with a while now and it's fairly easy to integrate searches from there in to here - but I've not yet found a way of doing it that isn't intrusive.

I personally have searches set up for local stuff and cheap MOT fail type of things, and such links should be fairly useful if rolled out across everyone. I'll be completely honest, it's an income thing because CS would get commission on sales it passes on, but I'm not going to do it if it doesn't integrate well.

Just wondered what people thought.

[Edited on 22-11-2011 by Ian]
Jamie-C

21st Nov 11 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its only spammy if its in the wrong place, a sub section in clasifieds for it and it'd be fine. Would be useful if you could get it to show parts too and not just cars.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 01:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can search for whatever, I'd migrate my own searches in there first which is basically cheap things within 10 miles of my post code that people aren't offering postage on, MOT failures and cheap breaker cars, GSis, number plates with no reserve under a few hundred quid etc.

List of what it searches for is entirely configurable.

Edit to say I wouldn't hard code my own postcode in there, it'd be yours

Need to geocode the rest of ROI and Europe at some point but that's another issue.

[Edited on 21-11-2011 by Ian]
xa0s
Banned

21st Nov 11 at 03:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

diff section pretty cool and maybe below other classifieds as ads.

look at the bottom of this site i use

http://www.bikechatforums.com/index.php

i never use it but lots of people say they find it useless. could be good for a model-specific site like cs. i only dont find it useful on bcf cus tons of shitters r on there like cruisers n harley wankers that have no interest
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 04:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Useless just because the search terms are no good?

Surely that must be easy to fix.
xa0s
Banned

21st Nov 11 at 04:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Useless just because the search terms are no good?

Surely that must be easy to fix.

I think its generic for the forum, so it shows harleys and trials bikes and everything really. if u could customize it per user i suppose it'd be cool

cant u make it so like, if the thread title is arden blue corsas it searchs for em on ebay and displays ads or w/e, and users can turn them off if they wish to?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 04:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't want to embed it in threads. I could make it search for anything on the entire database, could find you Skoda parts because you've listed it in your member profile or posted threads about them, piece of cake to do.

That wasn't my worry, I was more thinking about what people are going to find useful and what they're going to think is moneyspinning spam.

Thing is the local search one is genuinely useful, I've had many bargains, and I have people's postcodes so it's not difficult at all to implement. Just needs the nod.

[Edited on 21-11-2011 by Ian]
noshua

21st Nov 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's quite useful IMO, another section in classifieds?
Sam
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope you'll be using the affiliate linking for the eBay links as well Ian.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is all that automated then?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was using the mug one the other day. Called eBay motors or something. Seemed quite good

If it had its own sub forum it wouldn't be too intrusive.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Whittie

21st Nov 11 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There will be loads for corsa's.

Good idea though.
A2H GO

21st Nov 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you would have to find the balance between making it useful but still apealing to a wide audience.

For example if it was in a separate section and under 'Cars' and I just got a list of Corsa's on ebay near me it wouldn't be much use. I might need to filter between a price range, year, model etc in whcih case I might aswel have just gone on eBay.
djgritt
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have this system implemented on VxON

We have a seperate eBay Cars forum, and an eBay Parts forum

We automatically receive Vauxhall cars adverts, and also Vauxhall related parts adverts

We have also disabled the forums from showing up in the New Posts search function, as it can add a fair few pages!

Jambo

21st Nov 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
There will be loads for corsa's.

Good idea though.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good idea tbh ian. And even bettwe when you reilise that cs would be makeing a commission on it, more money to cs means more stuff for the forum. As most have said if it were in its own sub forum then i wouldnt class it as spam what so ever
Liam-Wilko

21st Nov 11 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good idea imo go for it
ShEp

21st Nov 11 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe have some keywords like gsi, sport and sri?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa GSi

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250936953973

I'll sort something
Eck
Premium Member

22nd Nov 11 at 00:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now this one is a good idea. Far better than those bastarding links! What you suggested to Luke is great too. Searches depending on things you most post about, like it would be Civic's for me! Don't think anything would come up for Jambo and ///M though
Rob E

22nd Nov 11 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely has potential, but I would be a bit miffed if I was keeping an eye on a potential bargain and then it was advertised to a forum with similar interest though
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Nov 11 at 00:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No reason why I couldn't exclude items.

If you definitely wanted something and told me the item number I could exclude that from other lists of results.

Might make that feature Prem only
Rob E

22nd Nov 11 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it would be a new selling point to the package. I cant see it being a regular occurrence though in all honesty. I think doing a separate list for the B, C and D could potentially attract more traffic to the forum though.
Eck
Premium Member

22nd Nov 11 at 02:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That could be a downfall I suppose. But if it's catered for specific users on what they normally search/post on, that might not happen? If it does and it starts a bidding war, Corsa Sport will gain at least
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Nov 11 at 08:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Local items bodged together -

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/ebay.php

Postcode is taken from your record in Location Services.

Currently the search isn't particularly well refined so there's a lot of random stuff in there. All should be local pickup only which means people won't post, which normally means prices are lower.

Just wanted to test integration with the site db and member records. Will work on the post table stuff and it searching for stuff that you are discussing at a later date if people want that.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Thoughts on this - Ebay integration 23 database queries in 0.3920329 seconds