corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » More site admin stuff - external links

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author More site admin stuff - external links
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Nov 11 at 23:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may remember I introduced a system called Viglink a while ago, which takes any existing links on the site and tracks the activity from them, and pays CS either per click or on the basis of sales made from that link.

I'm pleased to say it's been very successful and has strongly mitigated the down-turn in Prem numbers, which has improved our financial position.

There is a competitor company who do similar work named Skimlinks, who I'm also trialling. I plan to run the two alongside each other. Pages will be divided equally between these two companies so I can see how each performs and I'll go with the better one in a month or so.

I know it's not without problems - sometimes external links are broken or you can't copy and paste links. I do report this each time it's reported to me and I'll continue to do that and I also don't feel that is enough of a worry to change the way this currently works. It's a very easy, hassle free way to keep the site healthy without impinging on the members to supply money directly. It's something I'm going to explore further as per that other Ebay-related thread but at all times I'll try to keep it sensible.

As always I'm going to open up moves like this for public scrutiny and I welcome feedback on it.
ShEp

User status: Offline
21st Nov 11 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this why in Dazzi-gsi's thread his profile and when he typed astra gsi came up as a link to amazon to buy car mats?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was a quick trial - I've disabled Skimlinks.

I didn't want the words being changed if they weren't already links.
Eck
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 23:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had no idea this existed and can't remember clicking any links?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've had Viglink for a few months now but I wanted to try the other one.

Did tell them I just wanted the links converting, not the rest of the bloody content

Disabled until I've spoken to them about it being less intrusive.
Pop

21st Nov 11 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've noticed that I have a link from a post of mine earlier tonight. I put about "selling cars" and it links to webuyanycar.com
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 23:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it's only been there 10 minutes, just found the option to disable that so I might put it back on tonight.
Pop

21st Nov 11 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And now it's gone again. However, it didn't change the wording in my post.

[Edited on 21-11-2011 by Pop]
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not having anything where it changes things that weren't there in the first place. If it's a link fair enough we'll track that but I'm not changing the posts.

Disabled now although they say it'll take a while for the changes to take effect so I've left it out of the footer for the mo.
antnee

21st Nov 11 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair bit of work and Im not sure how much you can make, but if you can get enough views, youtube can make money too.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Nov 11 at 23:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah we have loads of outgoing Youtube links but Viglink never pays for it.

Not sure how Skim compares.

Enabled again now with the embed thing turned off.
antnee

22nd Nov 11 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean as in CS/WR uploading videos.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Nov 11 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What like me taking things apart
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

22nd Nov 11 at 00:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The video of removing a V6 from a Vectra using the picker should get you started
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

22nd Nov 11 at 00:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Video of how to cram a scrap fridge into a scrap shell using only a telehandler
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Nov 11 at 00:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny you should say that I've more fridges and more shells, could make part 2
Fro

22nd Nov 11 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this why I get something added to the start of autotrader links I click on the site? Have to delete them before it will take me to the page. Noticed it a while ago but thought it was the work comp. On way there now will have a play about when I get in.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Nov 11 at 07:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be but it doesn't do it on your home computer then something is also different in work.
Fro

22nd Nov 11 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill check them both out today and let you know tonight

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » More site admin stuff - external links 22 database queries in 0.0117009 seconds