corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Starting a small business

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Starting a small business
A2H GO

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 11 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always wanted to run a small business and to be honest I'm not too bothered if it only brings in pocket money each month.

People say you should always do something you're interested in but in my case most of those things are far too saturated or expensive, phones, gadgets, cars, electronics, etc.

That said always had an interest in small handheld puzzles. Having done some research I came across another small UK business doing the same thing:

http://www.handheldpuzzles.co.uk/

I'm in the process of deciding the types of 'puzzles' I want to sell, at which point I'll look at sourcing suppliers to see if I can compete on price etc but the likelyhood is I won't be able to (at least to start with).

My question is, how much capital would you estimate is needed to start a small business like this?

Would you see it as profitable? ie. At this time of year up to xmas I'd imagine they are quite busy but what about the rest of the year...
MarkSport

3rd Dec 11 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u Doyle
Tom G

3rd Dec 11 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not all buisnesses will be profitable all year round. Personally I would say you are late for Christmas. If you said 3 months ago, to then produce them etc, and then get them into shops/online/eBay.

I've always been interested in doing the same thing, just not puzzles
A2H GO

3rd Dec 11 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
Not all buisnesses will be profitable all year round. Personally I would say you are late for Christmas. If you said 3 months ago, to then produce them etc, and then get them into shops/online/eBay.

I've always been interested in doing the same thing, just not puzzles

I'm not thinking this Christmas although I think it would be good to aim to be up and running by this time next year.
Tom G

3rd Dec 11 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right. Well then you are going to make a loss I would of thought at first.

Depends if its something different?
A2H GO

3rd Dec 11 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
Ahh right. Well then you are going to make a loss I would of thought at first.

Depends if its something different?

I have around £1000 to buy products and sort a website (possibly list on eBay/Amazon).

I was wanting to buy 2-3 of each product but I'm finding you need to be buying 50-100 of each to be getting them at a price you can make a profit on. Which is why I'm not sure how small business start up because with only 20 product lines I'd need between £10-15k.

As for being different, I thought about that but literally anything that sells...someone else is already selling.

[Edited on 03-12-2011 by A2H GO]
Dan
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Search for business start up loans etc, there is alot of funding about at the min.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
A2H GO

3rd Dec 11 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dan.

Is it possible to see how much traffic that website gets?

I've tried Compete but it only gives US traffic.
Tom G

3rd Dec 11 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I Think if thats the circumstances, maybe put all your eggs in one basket?
Gary
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just start out on ebay imo. Most people go straight there to find stuff now
Dan
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ebay isnt great place to start, unless you find a niche. Profit is to low, as people are prepared to make next to nothing on there nowadays.

Im now giving up on there, after 3 years and turning over at least 40k, it just isnt worth it.

Tom G

3rd Dec 11 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think on eBay people do expect low prices as quite a lot of people are home sellers so can offer the prices.
Dan
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was a home seller, with no outgoings except stock, fees and postage.

Yet other places are selling at a loss on alot of the items. Im sure its purely to bring customers in to sell to via email/websites etc.

However from my experience and also research next to no eBay user ever visits an external site if you link them to it via email or post etc.

So i dont get what they are doing tbh.

I know they are not buying stock cheaper than me, as im on the highest discount tier the supplier has, and also have extra discounts on a few items.

A2H GO

3rd Dec 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed about eBay, I've tried trading on there before and unless you've got millions $$ for stock or such a tiny niche that you turn over £1 a week its impossible to make money.

There are lots of profitable sites about selling the same stuff that's on eBay for more money so its not the be all and end all.

I've found some really good ranges that I'd like to sell, gonna work on narrowing it down to some that should be popular, getting a decent name, website and go from there.
Dan
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting traffic to your site is the biggest problem you will face.

Unless you have deep pockets for SEO or paid ads, its a real struggle

A2H GO

3rd Dec 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do small businesses drive customers to their sites?

I'm happy to explore other avenues such as market stalls, exebitions etc.

If you search 'hand held puzzles' or '3d mind puzzles' on the first page there are only 2-3 sites selling the types of products I'll be selling. Granted the majority of people will be searching for 'puzzles' or 'gifts' in which case they'll get firebox etc .
Jamie Walby

3rd Dec 11 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan

I know they are not buying stock cheaper than me, as im on the highest discount tier the supplier has

In my experience, this is sometimes not always the case, no matter how much you like to think it is.

Dan
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im pretty confident it is. Although you can never be sure,

But i asked for around 20p off all items extra, otherwise i was giving up, and seeing as thats a very small percentage, to save my custom, i expected them to do it, but they said they couldnt do it.

Sam
Premium Member

3rd Dec 11 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google AdWords has brought in new customers for my business, I'd give that a go with a small starting budget of say £50/month to test the water.
Jambo

3rd Dec 11 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not commenting untill John posts.
Dan
Premium Member

4th Dec 11 at 06:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adwords is brilliant for new customers. However, if your selling mainly items under a tenner, with 1 or 2 pound profit, it just costs far to much I found.

I sound negative as fuck, but after giving it a go I can't see how the small start up business can make a decent profit. Let alone a wage. Unless your selling your own time or expertise.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Starting a small business 23 database queries in 0.3939331 seconds