corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Dealing with nerves

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dealing with nerves
jibjob

User status: Offline
12th Dec 11 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically I tend to get nervous when I have to stand up in front of an audience whether it be speaking, demonstrating something, etc.

Now the problem is i've got my first boxing match on Saturday in front of around 500 people. The fighting doesn't bother me but having an audience does so what can I do to settle my nerves both in the run up and on the night? I'm training hard and trying to keep busy so I don't think about it but in my down time its the only thing I seem to be thinking of
The worrying thing for me is I have to be there for 5.30pm on Saturday, the fights start at 6.30pm and i'm the 5th or 6th fight so there's a lot of time i'll be sat around waiting. Obviously i'll be warming up and getting ready for some of that but that will only be 30mins-1 hour whereas I could be waiting up to 2 hours before that point.

Any sensible ideas would be great as i've only come up with a couple so far and they are to either watch the other fights or just chill out and listen to music and then when it comes to my fight get in the ring as fast as I can and hope they start quickly, at which point I'll be too busy with the fight to think about the crowd.
rossnomore

12th Dec 11 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drugs...
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Dec 11 at 14:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read something about imagining everybody is naked.

Though I wouldn't want to do that if I was stood up in just a pair of loose shorts

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
jibjob

12th Dec 11 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not really an option. I don't take anything illegal and most nerve calming things from the chemist seem to make you too relaxed to do anything which is the last thing I need!

I thought about that but its a bit hard to imagine them naked when the only time i'll see the crowd is on my way to the ring and on the way back. Oh and yes imagining the ring girls naked wouldn't help me too much in a pair of shorts

[Edited on 12-12-2011 by jibjob]
rossnomore

12th Dec 11 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i had my first fight i just stared at the boy i was gonna be fighting. Pretend he tried to rape your sister and finger your dog. Get full of hate and you dont notice the crowd.
Dave

It's hard but you've just got to try and relax and put it to the back of your mind.

I'd be terrible at speaking in front of a large crowd but sport never seems to bother me, as long as I know I've given 100% the rest is out of my hands. When all said and done most of us only play sport for fun, why beat yourself up over the result?
JordyCarter

Try turn the nervousness into something else, try looking at the root, why are you nervous? just believe you can win and turn it into positive energy for the fight.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Dec 11 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I read something about imagining everybody is naked.

Read something? That's gotta be the oldest line in the book.
jibjob

12th Dec 11 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know why I get nervous I just always have done. The thing is i'm only nervous until what ever i'm doing starts and then I forget about it and just carry on. It's just the waiting period that gets me nervous.

[Edited on 12-12-2011 by jibjob]
rossnomore

12th Dec 11 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do something to keep yourself busy while your waiting. Read a book, have a wank etc etc
Russ

12th Dec 11 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i shouldnt worry mate, the thought of having your head smashed in will make everything else seem quite insignificant
Sunz

12th Dec 11 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Music thing sounds good, listen to something you really enjoy and something pretty upbeat and positive and just get in there as soon as possible, it's the waiting around that will give you too much time to think and then you start to think about the amount of people there which will set off the nerves.

I'm pretty nervous for most things and have quite bad anxiety, it's the getting there that's the problem and I always find just doing asap it is best but it's easier said then done.

Maybe if you do watch the other fights you will be used to the crowd and know what to expect, that might make it a bit easier to go out in front of them as you have been sitting in with them for a while.

Good luck anyway !

Should be all good once your in the ring !
rossnomore

12th Dec 11 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
Should be all good once your in the ring !

Thats what she said...
jibjob

12th Dec 11 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
i shouldnt worry mate, the thought of having your head smashed in will make everything else seem quite insignificant

Surprisingly the thought of that doesn't bother me. If worst comes to worst he'll knock me out for a short while and then i'll be fine but the chances of that happening in an amatuer fight are slim to none. Our fight is billed as the "joint main event" as ours is the big one before the break so i've got faith in myself that we'll go the distance without any major problems.

Cheers Sunz
ashleh

12th Dec 11 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait for the adrenaline to kick in .
Scotty C

12th Dec 11 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely when the fighting begins you won't concentrate on anything but to win?
jibjob

12th Dec 11 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye thats what I said. As soon as the bell goes i'll forget everything else and that'll be it but it's the waiting around on the night and the few days leading up to it.
Aaron

12th Dec 11 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go "UFC" on him, rather then sticking to conventional boxing rules IMO.
jibjob

12th Dec 11 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's a Muai Thai Boxer so i'll just stick to what I know
emicen

12th Dec 11 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whatever you do, don't have a wank. Its like taking a muscle relaxant

Keep your head down as you go in and just look at your team and opponent. When you go in to competition mode you won't even notice if the whole front row are topless playmates.
boylers11

12th Dec 11 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loud upbeat music would be my suggestion.

How about smelling salts like some professional sports people use? I don't know much about them, but I imagine you can get some that calm you, while not actually relaxing you too much?
jibjob

12th Dec 11 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the suggestions guys i'll look into the smelling salts!
jibjob

12th Dec 11 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

According to a lot of websites i've just read smelling salts, although awaken you, also give you headaches and make you lose co-ordination and should only really be used to revive unconscious people and even then it's not advised as it masks possible head injuries. Also they are an irritant to the nose, throat and lungs which doesn't sound brilliant!
mattk

12th Dec 11 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get pissed up
Jamie Walby

12th Dec 11 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never get nervous and I wish I knew why so that I could help you but I don't do anything. I just don't get nervous.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Dealing with nerves 23 database queries in 0.0555899 seconds