corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » O2 Leasing phones

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author O2 Leasing phones
John

User status: Offline
12th Dec 11 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly geek but also not.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2131699/o2-starts-apple-iphone-4s-rental-scheme

wtf is this.

Sounds exactly like a 12 month contract to me except you don't own the phone at the end
Gary
Premium Member

12th Dec 11 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And costs more than a normal contract. Bsd deal. But no doubt some folk will go for it
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Dec 11 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting in on phone recycling then. A 12 month old newest iPhone model should fetech good money.

Will get them loads of cash if companies take them up.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

12th Dec 11 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£660 and nothing to show / sell at end of it! Thanks 02!

Buy a phone £499, pay & go sim put £160 on it use for 12months then sell phone for £300+

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
A2H GO

12th Dec 11 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta be an idiot to take up that.

That said, done at the right price it's a genius idea.

Normal 4S contract - £170 handset + (37x18month) = £836

Lease - iPhone 4S will be worth about £400 in 12 months time, knock this off the price (assuming its worth this much to the phone companies)= £37pm (£436 paid out in total)

So in theory you end up the same either way(if you sold the phone at the end of the contract) but the lease means:

- you only need to pay out £436 (as opposed to double, which is less than the actual value of the phone plus you get the mins/texts/data)
- you don't have the hassle of selling it at the end
- you get to upgrade every 12 months instead of 18

At £55 a month O2 are saying they only want to give £220 for the 4S after 12 months, they need to be more realistic. Especially given they're asking £37pm for less mins/texts/data than you can get on payg for £10.

[Edited on 12-12-2011 by A2H GO]
A2H GO

12th Dec 11 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
£660 and nothing to show / sell at end of it! Thanks 02!

Buy a phone £499, pay & go sim put £160 on it use for 12months then sell phone for £300+

If people could afford to pay £500 at once for a phone there wouldn't be a need for contracts given they nearly always work out more expensive.

That said I bought all my iPhones outright.

Jamie Walby

13th Dec 11 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO

Lease - iPhone 4S will be worth about £400 in 12 months time, knock this off the price (assuming its worth this much to the phone companies)= £37pm (£436 paid out in total)

So in theory you end up the same either way(if you sold the phone at the end of the contract) but the lease means:

- you only need to pay out £436 (as opposed to double, which is less than the actual value of the phone plus you get the mins/texts/data)

At £55 a month O2 are saying they only want to give £220 for the 4S after 12 months, they need to be more realistic. Especially given they're asking £37pm for less mins/texts/data than you can get on payg for £10.

Mines on a 12 month contract anyway!
fazza

13th Dec 11 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what happens if you lose the rented phone?
A2H GO

13th Dec 11 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
quote:

The other two downsides of having to sell the phone at the end and paying out more over the term still apply.
A2H GO

13th Dec 11 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza
what happens if you lose the rented phone?

Presumably insurace would be a requirement. I'd also imagine if you didn't send it back after 12 months you'd be landed with a nice bill for £500.
Sam
Premium Member

13th Dec 11 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally think it's a good idea for people that always want the latest iPhone but don't want to fork up a massive amount upfront, and it saves people the bother of having to sell the phone afterwards.

If you think about it, this has been going on for years with cars for example (i.e. hire purchase). Not a direct comparison I know but you get the idea.

£55/month is a bit steep though for the average punter, but then O2 are in business to make money at the end of the day, same as any other business?

[Edited on 13-12-2011 by Sam]
Jamie Walby

13th Dec 11 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

The other two downsides of having to sell the phone at the end and paying out more over the term still apply.

Selling the phone is going to be no more hassle than having to return it to O2?
A2H GO

13th Dec 11 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Going of past experience I beg to differ.

Pay £50 to sell it on eBay to have some idiot not pay to then spend 4 weeks sorting it out to then relist and have the same thing happen again.
Toby
Premium Member

13th Dec 11 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
If you think about it, this has been going on for years with cars for example (i.e. hire purchase). Not a direct comparison I know but you get the idea.

[Edited on 13-12-2011 by Sam]

No not really, HP is just a loan, leasing is completely different
Sam
Premium Member

13th Dec 11 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I mean is those plans where you pay £x and after 3 years or whatever you either return the car with nothing more to pay, you pay a balloon figure and keep it or you. can get a new one under the same arrangement.
A2H GO

13th Dec 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
What I mean is those plans where you pay £x and after 3 years or whatever you either return the car with nothing more to pay, you pay a balloon figure and keep it or you. can get a new one under the same arrangement.

PCP
Sam
Premium Member

13th Dec 11 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah.
Jamie Walby

13th Dec 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Going of past experience I beg to differ.

Pay £50 to sell it on eBay to have some idiot not pay to then spend 4 weeks sorting it out to then relist and have the same thing happen again.

People like Envirofone and Mazuma offer good money for phones, especially 1 year old iPhones and cost you a maximum of about 75p to upgrade the free postage label to a recorded delivery service.

Job done.
A2H GO

13th Dec 11 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd still loose around £100 over the phone company buying the phone back for £400.

In my mind for it to work you would only pay the depreciation of the phone + the monthly contract (£100 + (12x37)).
Jamie Walby

13th Dec 11 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont understand where the phone company buying the phone off you comes into it? Don't you get a phone for free, pay the monthly cost, return the phone at the end of the 12 months?
Dom

13th Dec 11 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I dont understand where the phone company buying the phone off you comes into it? Don't you get a phone for free, pay the monthly cost, return the phone at the end of the 12 months?

Yup. Seems to be the perfect solution for fanboi's who want the latest iPhone without hassle of selling the phone or paying upfront. Although the data allowance seems a bit cack, would be a lot better if they gave you 1GB.
Jamie Walby

13th Dec 11 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 1GB allowance and used a mighty 300mb of it last month

A2H GO

13th Dec 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Its theoretically speaking. Technically they're putting a value on what the phone will be worth when you give it back when deciding what you pay each month.

In the above deal theyre giving you a £37pm contract for £55pm so after 12 months you'll have in theory paid £216 for the phone. £500 - £216 says they will pay £284 for the phone after 12 months when realistically it will be worth over £100 more than that. Fair play though, as mentioned they are a business.

[Edited on 13-12-2011 by A2H GO]
DaveyLC

13th Dec 11 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like they've just thrown in the insurance on a normal contract but made it so you have to give it back at the end.

Good plan as it forces you to get a new phone/contract
LeeM

13th Dec 11 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£52/month on an 18 month contract with o2 gives you the phone for free and a better tarriff.
doesnt make sense to me

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » O2 Leasing phones 23 database queries in 0.1976671 seconds