corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter Tyres?
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
15th Dec 11 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As stupid as this question sound's what is the actual difference? Tread? Compound? My dad's just took his Virage in to work to get a set of winter tyres fitted but have never actually looked into what they are as such? and how much better they are?

[Edited on 15-12-2011 by SXI - Matt]
Ben G

15th Dec 11 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they have different tread patterns to disperse the snow and work better below a certain temperature (7c)? than summer tyres, probably due to the compound of the rubber used.
Rsmith

18th Dec 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bascailly they use different tread pattens work at lower temps and r made of a very soft compound compared to normal tyres
Jake

18th Dec 11 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

long story short they have different tread patterns and they work at a lower temp due to the rubber compound
corsadonk
Premium Member

18th Dec 11 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found out yesterday, they don't work on ice. They have extra grooves so the tread blocks move about more.
chrisritch

18th Dec 11 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics of virage tbh
DaveyLC

18th Dec 11 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally a different compound to.. Not really nesseccary in this country its a bit too warm! You'll find they fuck them selves pretty quick above freezing.
Dave

18th Dec 11 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything under 7c and they are meant to be better than regular tyres. I put some on the van at the start of the warmest November in years

Nic Barnes

18th Dec 11 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
I found out yesterday, they don't work on ice. They have extra grooves so the tread blocks move about more.

yeah theyre basically snow tyres only. you'd need studs to drive on ice if you want half decent grip that is.
SXI - Matt

18th Dec 11 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok makes sense, they seem better then the 'normal' tyres on it, still obviously struggles for traction as you'd imagine but a low revs and cautious driving they down give so easy and do provide better grip, but as you say ice is ice and nothing bar studs will actually make a big difference

And pic of virage is in my 'new car thread' but will link one in a sec ;-)
SXI - Matt

18th Dec 11 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kippers

19th Dec 11 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Winter tyres have a higher amount of natural rubber making them stay softer at lower temp. Below 7oc normal tyre rubber starts to go hard and this is what causes poorer handling in cold conditions.
Bobber123

19th Dec 11 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is your dad going to drive that all year round??? :O could have probably bought a shitty runaround that you could just happily crash into curbs etc in the winter for less than a full set of winter tyres for that beast!
mattk

19th Dec 11 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id rather have a better house and a worse car that can be used on normal tyres
chrisritch

19th Dec 11 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His dad works for Aston so is basically a company car iirc
SXI - Matt

19th Dec 11 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it's a company car so they pu the winter tyres on for him he uses it mainly at weekends but yeah uses it as much as he can, there built to be driven and as he says providing you carefull why not use it all year round

[Edited on 19-12-2011 by SXI - Matt]

[Edited on 19-12-2011 by SXI - Matt]
Mertin

20th Dec 11 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think winter tyres have a High silicon content?
I was going to get a set this year but decided not to bother. If roads are really bad then I just wont drive. Only driving I do really is to see the other half and thats not essential
FlamingCorsa

20th Dec 11 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

winter tyres........pffffffff

mum uses her exige all year round on yoko a048, semi slick track tyres:-) and not hit and kerbs yet! lol
Ben G

20th Dec 11 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about when something comes flying towards her and she spins up on the snow covered road, trying to get out the way?

[Edited on 20-12-2011 by Ben G]
SXI - Matt

20th Dec 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlamingCorsa
winter tyres........pffffffff

mum uses her exige all year round on yoko a048, semi slick track tyres:-) and not hit and kerbs yet! lol

That's fair, but pretty sure if she went out in freezing conditions then went out again but with winter tyres shed surely prefer it over the semi slicks that just seems dangerous to me but fair play to her
BarnshaW

20th Dec 11 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do people really pay out hundreds of pounds for winter tyres? i have never ever changed them specifically for winter and never had a problem?

maybe not the same up north but we get a couple of days a year down here at most where they would be beneficial, and on those days just leave the car at home and find other means to get to and from work?
Matt L

20th Dec 11 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv got winter tyres this year round, didnt have any issues last year in my ibiza with normal tyres on but wanted to be safe this year especially in an auto, got to say though had them on since november and the grip over the re050a's i had on before is night and day tbh.

did a test last week when we had about an inch of snow, took my car to the steepest hill i could find to see how it would pull off, worked a treat no slip at all.

would definatly recommend winter tyres.

[Edited on 20-12-2011 by Matt L]
John

20th Dec 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably good you tried in that inch of snow, you probably won't get another chance.
BarnshaW

20th Dec 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are snow tyres the same cost as normal tyres? so typically your looking at a few hundred on tyres you would use a couple of days a year?

also if you didnt have another set of wheels you then have to change them back for warmer weather then at another cost? sounds completely and utterly overkill
mattk

20th Dec 11 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only think my car struggled in last year was the mound of snow in the road between the tyre tracks, it would bottom out on those

my old knackard transit will litteraly go anywhere with no trouble crawling past sprinters and crafters on the site I was on last year

[Edited on 20-12-2011 by mattk]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres? 22 database queries in 0.2415979 seconds