corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London Tube Drivers

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author London Tube Drivers
Dom

User status: Offline
22nd Dec 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

....drivers would earn about £44,500, work a 35-hour week and have 43 days' leave.

quote:

Aslef, the union representing the Tube drivers, wants triple pay and a day off in lieu for drivers for working on the bank holiday.

Am I the only one that thinks there is something a bit 'wrong' with the above? They're taking the absolute piss for what is a relatively 'easy' and skilless job (not forgetting being completely dull).
Cavey

22nd Dec 11 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want £100k a week it's about time Royal Mail had another strike, been a few months since we had one, wonder If i can instigate one
ed

22nd Dec 11 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, you could ask for something and then before any meetings or bargaining hold the whole country to ransom by calling a strike over your completely unreasonable requests.
AlunJ

22nd Dec 11 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lots of rules to learn and comply with, it can be quite a monotonous job going up and town tunnels all day, you need to maintain high levels of concentration, plus you are responsible for the lives of hundreds of passengers... One silly mistake and you're shown the door. I work in rail and I've seen drivers fired for silly mistakes.
Eddx14xe

22nd Dec 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people go to uni for years and spend ££££'s on education, to get that pay. They should be grateful for what they have imo.
AlunJ

22nd Dec 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's down to individual choice, working up to a driver can take years. London underground no longer hire drivers straight off the street. There's a lot of train drivers out there with degrees believe it or not.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Dec 11 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fairly reasonable for operating complicated machinery with a view to keeping things safe.

Certainly more justified than most management salaries just because you wrote a few essays for a few years.
Russ

22nd Dec 11 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Fairly reasonable for operating complicated machinery with a view to keeping things safe.

Certainly more justified than most management salaries just because you wrote a few essays for a few years.
i didnt even do that
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Dec 11 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know loads of people on £40k+ who would shit themselves if you asked them to drive a minibus, never mind a train.
Nic Barnes

22nd Dec 11 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

yup.
Fro

22nd Dec 11 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make a mistake in most jobs and you can rectify it.

Make a mistake driving a train/bus etc and it can cost people their lives. ( mine, Robbo and James being a few )
Welsh Dan

22nd Dec 11 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't deserve that at all. The sooner the system is automated completely, the better. A dead mans lever is hardly a complicated system. Red for stop, green for go. Any numpty can manage that.

I did read a quote that one of them said, which was along the lines of "its a really dangerous job." A soldier is dangerous. A firefighter is dangerous. A train driver is not.

Graham88

22nd Dec 11 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really? What about when a train derails, guess who the first one to die is?
Nic Barnes

22nd Dec 11 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
They don't deserve that at all. The sooner the system is automated completely, the better. A dead mans lever is hardly a complicated system. Red for stop, green for go. Any numpty can manage that.

I did read a quote that one of them said, which was along the lines of "its a really dangerous job." A soldier is dangerous. A firefighter is dangerous. A train driver is not.

somebody is jealous of the wages.......
Dom

22nd Dec 11 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

yup.

A lot of short-haul pilots are on less and i'd say that was more complicated and skilled than any tube driver.
Russ

22nd Dec 11 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, love it when the soldier bumders turn up
Welsh Dan

22nd Dec 11 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And exactly how many tube trains have derailed in the last 10 years causing massive injury or death?
Last death of a driver, was 1984, when he drove into the train in front in fog. Most, it not all of the deaths on the underground are by people jumping (or being pushed) onto the tracks.

Graham88

22nd Dec 11 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't understand why people moan so much, apply for the job if you're so jealous of it
Russ

22nd Dec 11 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you are slagging them off then gave examples of two horrendous things a train driver may face
John

22nd Dec 11 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Holding a lever on a train is not complicated and does not deserve that salary.

I however would not be complaining if it was me.

As Dom said, some pilots don't get that and it willl have cost (most) a second mortgage worth to get there.
alan-g-w

22nd Dec 11 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the tube not private sector?
Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Really? What about when a train derails, guess who the first one to die is?

How many tube trains have derailed and killed the drivers in the last 10 years? I'd argue driving a HGV was more taxing and dangerous than driving a train.

I don't think the salary is the cause of the debate with the unions, asking for triple time and a day off in lieu is clearly taking the piss.
Welsh Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan

somebody is jealous of the wages.......

It is a bit more money than I earn, yes. But they still don't deserve it. There are hundreds of people that could do their job, just as well. And triple time, and a day in lieu on a bank holiday? Give it a rest. They stop work at midnight and don't have to work half the unsociable hours that lots of other people do.
Nic Barnes

22nd Dec 11 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Holding a lever on a train is not complicated and does not deserve that salary.

I however would not be complaining if it was me.

As Dom said, some pilots don't get that and it willl have cost (most) a second mortgage worth to get there.

day in day out, in a tunnel all day long? sounds worth the money mate.
Dave

22nd Dec 11 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS Welsh Dan

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London Tube Drivers 22 database queries in 0.0157180 seconds