corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polishing wheel rims.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polishing wheel rims.....
Corsa_Sport21

User status: Offline
17th Jan 12 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right gonna be splitting the BBS" to paint the centre's, so while they are off i need to polish up the rims.

Any1 got any tips on what grades of sand paper to use etc??

Im not after a super shiney show finish, just tidy them up best i can as water has gotten under the laquer in some places.

Best way to do this at home with decent results.
taylorboosh

17th Jan 12 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best to use a machine or your fingers will blister
Gez G

17th Jan 12 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can be done by hand Nik, mate done it on his bbs rx on his polo gti years back, time consuming working thru the grades of sandpaper!
Corsa_Sport21

17th Jan 12 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have actually said they are polished at the moment, just a bit grubby with the laquer lifting etc.

So just need to get them brought back up and the laquer removed.
big eck

17th Jan 12 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely a body shop won't charge much for it. No harm in gettin a quote to find out.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

17th Jan 12 at 23:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a kit that fits on a drill. Has three different stages. Got it off eBay for about £30 and works a treat.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Tomnova16
Premium Member

17th Jan 12 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Search wheel polishing kit.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
alan-g-w

17th Jan 12 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

120, 320, 800

Works on these bastard nuclear impellers I need to polish up at work
Corsa_Sport21

17th Jan 12 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its just the turnaround time etc Eck and the hassle of dropping them off and picking them up etc. I can't have the car off the road too long as me and the GF both need it.

I was gonna remove the centre's, prep and paint them, and in between coats give the rims a wee spruce up while im waiting.

Hopefully have 3 of us doing them so shouldn't take too long if i make an early start on Saturday then finish them off on Sunday and re-fit them.
Rob E

17th Jan 12 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here is how I did my Ronals, if you follow the same procedure then I recommend putting a heat gun behind the lip when you polish them up with compound, it helps the compound break down and gives awesome results. I got my polishing kit from http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Standard_Polishing_Kits.html and used the 21 piece polishing kit with an additional yellow compound bought from that site too. Its a very long process but rewarding process and you get EVERYTHING covered in shit -

quote:

Well i'm finally back in North Wales and that means I can do some work on the car She hasn't been started since September and started on the button this morning :worship:

Today I made a start on polishing up the lips on my Ronals with some help from my friend and now a fellow mk 1 owner :goodjob: We managed to get the first one finished and the second one needs another couple of hits with two more polishing compounds and then only another two to go!

Check out my lathe :goodjob:

Lots of sanding to remove any pitting, then a hit with a sissal loaded with grey cutting/polishing compound, followed by a hit with a spiral mop with green cutting/polishing compound

Comparison to show how they started life in my ownership

Random shop mid polish

First one finished B)

Then a shot of the second wheel half way through the compounding process. I think the second wheel is going to come out slightly better as it looks like I've done a better job with the sanding

I had to pack up for the night then as I (well actually my mum), don't want to upset the neighbours :sarcasm: There is always tomorrow!

If anyone is interested in the method I have used, then here it is using the standard 21 piece polishing kit, and some yellow polishing compound with another loose mop from thepolishingshop.co.uk =

1. Strip the paint off with Nitromors and a pan scouring pad.
2. Jack up one side of the car and support on axle stand, bolt rim to rear of car, put her in reverse and start her up. WATCH YOU FINGERS! The wheels are spinning from here up to step 10. but do stop between stages to inspect your work.
3. Use P120 grit oxide paper until you are happy you have removed all pitting marks etc
4. Next use some P180 wet and dry (used dry) to remove all the sanding marks from the previous stage
5. Use P240 wet and dry (used with water) until all the previous sanding marks have been removed
6. Move onto P400 wet and dry (used with water) until you have removed the previous grade's marks. You should now have a satin like finish when you have wiped up the water.
7. Load up a sisal with some grey 523LBZ Menzerna Polishing Compound and work the compound down. The trick is to not put too much compound on the sisal and mops otherwise you end up clogging the surface you are polishing! I gave the rim two generous going overs with each compound.
8. Take the spiral mop and load it up with green 439T Menzerna Polishing Compound Medium cutting & colouring compound and repeat the above process.
9. Take a loose mop and load with blue P164 Menzerna Polishing Compound General finishing compound and repeat above process.
10. The final polish! I bought this one as it give a flawless finish to your hard work. Load up the loose mop and attack. I found I had to add compound pretty often with this stage.
11. Wipe the polished surface over with a rag and the supplied Vienna lime to remove any excess compound wax then pat yourself on the back and admire your hard graft :goodjob:

quote:

Well so far so good, they are coming up a treat! I have finished the lip on 3 of them and tomorrow should see the 4th one finish.... Ever started one of those jobs you wish you had never started? :trigger:

2 all done

bling

By the end of this afternoons work

Wheel number 3 sat in the sun

I've decided to go gunmetal grey with the centres too so thats the next stage after polishing

Corsa_Sport21

18th Jan 12 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isnt any paint on the rims, and i can't do it that way seeing as the centre will be split from the barrel lol.
Rob E

18th Jan 12 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

build them up with a couple of bolts holding them together and you can You could do the above method by hand but it will take you sooo long. Look for a local metal finisher is another choice, it wont be all that expensive and they will be able to to the lips on their own with machinery

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polishing wheel rims..... 23 database queries in 0.0078170 seconds