corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Some advice from the mountain bikers on the forum please - UPDATE: All repaired and built :)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Some advice from the mountain bikers on the forum please - UPDATE: All repaired and built :)
Rob E

User status: Offline
30th Jan 12 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a bit out of the loop with biking stuff, and I have finally decided its time to upgrade my trusty old Specialized P3 jump bike for something more suited. I have been offered a 2003 Specialized Enduro Pro frame off a good friend of mine. The only problem is the frame is cracked on the seatpost weld but this is not a problem as I can sort that easily.

He said he will sell it to me with the Fox rear shock (rebuilt and tuned 6 months ago by TF Tuned in Bristol), bottom bracket, seat post, sealed headset and a set of Raceface prodigy dh cranks for the grand total of £80. Is this a fair price? I have googled about but all I can find is rave reviews about the bike but not much on how much the frames are worth. Can anyone give me a rough idea? I know its not the latest technology concerning bikes but ANYTHING has to be easier to ride up hill than my current bike.

[Edited on 01-07-2012 by Rob E]
AlunJ

30th Jan 12 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't really answer your question Rob but you need to drag me mountain biking
Rob E

30th Jan 12 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its an attempt to become fit again! Ive become so lazy since coming to uni. I did the wall up Afan Forest Park towards the end of the summer and my bike was totally useless for it. 9 gears and a bike weighing a ton really hampered the ride (and my fitness levels didnt help either ) so its time to get a more suited bike. I wont be getting my hands on it until March at the earliest but once its all ready to roll im up for a ride mate
AlunJ

30th Jan 12 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the bike just no one to ride with, I'm a little scared to go up Cwmcarn on my own when I've never been before
Toby
Premium Member

30th Jan 12 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would pay have of that for the rear shocker to be serviced by TF tuned. I have the reaceface cranks and they are pretty bomproof, maybe a bit heavy for XC but would only consider changing them if you got serious about it.

The only problem you have is that if you start to build it up the price will start to stack and whilst you will have a bike made to spec you could buy a ready built bike for half the price. IMO you are looking at another 300/400 to be able to ride it based upon being able to get second hand bargains but that could double easily
Rob E

30th Jan 12 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll be up for it once ive got a new bike sorted Al!

Building it is not too much of a problem Toby, My P3 has everything upgraded and is still a good bike. The geometry and lack of front derailure are two of the main things that are the problem.

Bits to go on the new frame are -

Hayes HFX9
Ozna Phatso rear wheel on ddg rear hub with 9spd casette on
Sun Doubletrack front rim on a 20mm bolt thru shimano hub
Marzocchi DJ1
Azonic Stem and bar combo

looking very unloved

I think all I would need to get mobile is some new shifters and derailures
jacko198

30th Jan 12 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can guarantee that you can sort out the crack, then yeah its a bargain
Rob E

30th Jan 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet, This is the only image I have of the crack

It should be a fairly straight forward repair
Rob E

1st Jul 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, just thought I would update this tread as I finished the bike yesterday!

I took it somewhere local for repair, cost me £18 to put right.

Went on a bit of a spending spree

And the completed item

Speclist:
Specialized 2003 enduro pro frame with new FSR bearings and revalved Fox Float rear shock.
2009 Marzocchi All Mountain 2s 100mm-130mm adjustable travel.
Hope Tech M4 Evo F+R
Superstar 203mm front rotor in white
Superstar 180mm rear rotor in white
Superstar AMX wheelset wrapped in Continental mountain king 2 tyres
Superstar Bars, grips and pedals
Shimano XT shifters, derailluers etc
Custom white gear cabling.

Hopefully get out for a proper ride on it next week
jacko198

1st Jul 12 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Some advice from the mountain bikers on the forum please - UPDATE: All repaired and built :) 22 database queries in 0.0074248 seconds