corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » trailer build

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author trailer build
scottyp1989

User status: Offline
7th Feb 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not going to be a particularly long build, or that exciting TBH but thought some people might be interested non the less.

Right the plan is to build a transporter/flatbed trailer for my vitara.

I was going to buy a transporter/flatbed but they all seem to go for a lot of money, even shabby ones, hence why im building my own, and i need something to do.

I have most the bits needed for it already so the only things iv really had to buy is the steel and tyres.

I will be using an 1800kg rated axle so should be plenty enough for what i need.

The frame is made out of 50x50x3 box and is mostly all welded up now just got to add braces, axle mount points, hitch and the bed. Unsure at the min wether to do a full flat bed or just cover the tracks in weldmesh.

This is the only pic i have at the min but will get some more up as i go along.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Feb 12 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting! how much do you think it will set you back?
daymoon
Premium Member

7th Feb 12 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play for building your own.

I wonder if there are any money to be made in making these and shifting them on Ebay seeing as most sell for at least 400
scottyp1989

7th Feb 12 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so far its cost me around £200, thats for the axle, wheels, hitch, new brake cables and 3 lengths of box section. i rekon another £100 at most with the angle, weldmesh and tyres. so around 300/350 max depending on whether i just use weldmesh or do a full flatbed.
willay
Premium Member

7th Feb 12 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Full flatbed mate, weldmesh would look proper monkey.
willay
Premium Member

7th Feb 12 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

I wonder if there are any money to be made in making these and shifting them on Ebay seeing as most sell for at least 400

Yeah, a entry level BJ can be had for 1000-1500 secondhand, I'm always getting ebay updates about them even though I've got my trailer now! But I think the homemade ones don't go for brilliant money as they don't trust them. At least if you build your own like Scotty is going to then you know exactly what went into it.
daymoon
Premium Member

7th Feb 12 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's properly built no need to mention it is home made
scottyp1989

7th Feb 12 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

Yeah, a entry level BJ can be had for 1000-1500 secondhand, I'm always getting ebay updates about them even though I've got my trailer now! But I think the homemade ones don't go for brilliant money as they don't trust them. At least if you build your own like Scotty is going to then you know exactly what went into it.

this is exactly why im building my own, i went to see a couple of self builds that claimed to be built to high standards but non of them were. The one i went to look at, just by looking at it you could tell the axle hadnt been put on straight and was on the pi**
scottyp1989

20th Feb 12 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Axel is mounted now, will get some more pics up tomorrow
scottyp1989

21st Feb 12 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

axle all mounted

shot of the welding for anyone interested

Dan A

21st Feb 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That weld doesnt look like it's even burnt in to the bit you've welded on.
Not too bad looking but I bet it ain't that strong.

[Edited on 21-02-2012 by Dan A]
scottyp1989

21st Feb 12 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is sufficient penetration on the welds, i wouldnt be doing it if i didnt know my welds were strong enough i would have bought one instead.
Jimbothebarbarian

21st Feb 12 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan A
That weld doesnt look like it's even burnt in to the bit you've welded on.
Not too bad looking but I bet it ain't that strong.

[Edited on 21-02-2012 by Dan A]

This..

Could have welded a couple of mm to the left.

Just my opiniom from the piccie posted.
Mertin

21st Feb 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you build a full flat bed then least it can be used for other things than just cars. Also means you can get any size of car / jeep onto it as you wont have to worry about the width of the tracks (maybe wouldnt be a problem anyway but just something I thought of)

What you doing for ramps?

[Edited on 21-02-2012 by Mertin]
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 12 at 01:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can make you some shallow U channels for the decks if you want, stronger than weld mesh.

Ste might have a pic of the one we refurbed, similar chassis and U channel floor.
scottyp1989

22nd Feb 12 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
If you build a full flat bed then least it can be used for other things than just cars. Also means you can get any size of car / jeep onto it as you wont have to worry about the width of the tracks (maybe wouldnt be a problem anyway but just something I thought of)

What you doing for ramps?

[Edited on 21-02-2012 by Mertin]

the tracks should be wide enough for prety much anything TBH as i have done them quite wide, ramps i still have to make yet, want to get the trailer rolling before that tho.

Ian, any pics of what you did? i have a bender here so could nock some up if they would work.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » trailer build 23 database queries in 0.0115132 seconds