corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Insulation Help !?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insulation Help !?
Sunz

User status: Offline
   14th Feb 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello there, was wondering if people could give their views on this "insulation"

We have had a problem with the flat where I live for ages now, temperatures can be as low as 9 degrees inside, as a result we had a insulation surveyor come in ended up getting some work done, now the guys been here 2 days and this is as far as his got..

Just looking at what they have done, to me it looks useless, 2cm bit of board, so have asked them to only do one room for now.

Anyway if anyone here knows, with the vast knownledge of corsa sport im sure someone will know properly if this is going to do anything at all.

John

14th Feb 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If only there was a section for this
Sunz

14th Feb 12 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If only there was a section for this

Don't have to be a penis all your life !

This is the flat, other section is HOUSE day
AndyKent

14th Feb 12 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will make a bit of a difference, yes.

Hardly going to be as good as an insulated cavity, but better than nothing.

That said, if it was me doing it I'd be putting on more like 40/50mm to make it work better.
andys sxi
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will help a bit yeah because the outside walls arnt exposed into the room, but dont expect it to make a massive differance

April 08 feature car
RichR
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 14:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My parents converted the integrated garage section of their house into a useable room when they built a standalone garage. It was always freezing and damp in there regardless of heating. We've just lined the external wall with the same polystyrene backed plasterboard when we replastered and even with the new smaller radiator the room is toasty all the time, made a huge difference. Only thing I can't remember is if we left a small cavity between the wall and polystyrene or if it was fitted as your's is
Rob_Quads

14th Feb 12 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will make a small difference but not a lot.

I would have expect to have put in a lot more. When I built my extension because I was utilising a cavity wall that was not insulated (only 20mm wide) I had to insulate inside and I had much thicker boards to comply with the regs. Think it was more like 50mm
Fad

14th Feb 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The most beneficial thing you could do with what you have there is space the board away from the wall using traditional studwork or steel studs and create an air cavity.

If you want to make a marked improvement you could install studwork and fibreglass batts with plasterboard and a light skim which will improve U Values of that wall. Effectively you are drylining the wall

[Edited on 14-02-2012 by Fad]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Insulation Help !? 23 database queries in 0.0391002 seconds