corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Learning photography

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Learning photography
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Feb 12 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you may know I've recently bought a DSLR and have no idea how to use it apart from put it in auto and fire.

Has anybody got an hints and tips, links, websites, youtube videos to help me get to grips with my new found hobby

Cheers guys.
Marc

20th Feb 12 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still need to learn how to use mine properly!
Matty W

20th Feb 12 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in the same boat, although ive had mine about 1 & 1/2 years now.

i stuck with night photography for getting to grips with it. bought a tripod, stuck it in manual and had a play around with the shutter speed and appeture. night photography teaches you about light and how to use it. like changing the white ballance when theres lots of orange light, or using a slower iso speed ( it is still a bit confusing to me, but i just asked google "how to..." etc.)

take it out of autofocus and start getting to grips with your lense. ive bought a couple of new lenses aswell

[Edited on 20-02-2012 by Matty W]
Phillips_91

20th Feb 12 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty W
(but i just asked google "how to..." etc.)

This is really all i can say about learning how to use it! i also did a fair bit of night photography, don't get me wrong i've still got alot to learn but i learnt most of mine just by going out, sticking it in manual and learning what changing each setting did to the shot!

Don't be disheartened when your first few shots come out shit, its all part of the learning curve!
Jakey
Premium Member

20th Feb 12 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys. Yeah I went to watch my mates play football yesterday and shot with an 18-75 and they've come out shit and so distant.

Luckily one of my mates is a clued up a bit and been telling me about shutter speeds etc but some of it still baffles me!
Matty W

20th Feb 12 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its fairly simple. The quicker the shutter speed, the less light hits the sensor and vice versa. With a fast shutter speed, you don't get a lot of light, so ajusting the appature can make things a bit brighter. With slower speeds you can get too much light. The iso is from what I can gather, the speed at which the sensor converts the light to an image. A lower speed is better for long night time exposures with low light as it won't take in a lot of the noise. But having a play about and getting different results is always good. Try some light painting. Its a great way to learn
Rob E

20th Feb 12 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

General rule Of thumb when shooting is try not to let the shutter speed be slower than the focal distance you are shooting at if you are using the camera hand held. For example, if you have a zoom lens zoomed in at 250mm, the slowest shutter speed you should use is 1/125. I have a brilliant basics website somewhere, it really helped me when I first picked up a camera. I will see if I can dig it out for you
Rob E

21st Feb 12 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found them

In depth - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Easy going - http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?68767-A-beginners-guide-to-taking-better-shots-with-your-DSLR
Jakey
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 00:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate! The whole shutter speed to lens zoom is confusing atm but will probably make more sense tomorrow when I get the camera out!

That first site looks a hard read but I'll give the second one a butchers Thanks!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Learning photography 23 database queries in 0.0137529 seconds