corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Any Income Tax Experts?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any Income Tax Experts?
James

User status: Offline
21st Feb 12 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently started a new role where I got a sign-on bonus, obviously I paid income tax on this bonus.

As part of my contract, if I leave within a year, I have to pay back the full pre-tax amount.

Am I entitled to some kind of tax rebate in this situation? Otherwise I will lose out massively and then I will have to make up the difference out of my own pocket.

Before anyone suggests, I just sat on hold to HMRC for 20 minutes and gave up waiting.
James

21st Feb 12 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.s. I've also Googled it but can only find information about similar situations in the USA.
Liam-Wilko

21st Feb 12 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bonuse comes from the DWP any way mate but what they would do if you lost your job is take it as small amounts from you benafits to pay it back they would not expect you to pay it back in 1 lump unless you got like 50k pay out for some reason
James

21st Feb 12 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liam-corsa-1400
the bonuse comes from the DWP

Eh?

This is a sign-on bonus that my new company paid me. As in a golden handshake kinda thing.
Liam-Wilko

21st Feb 12 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were sigeing on it will be from the departmen of working pensions mate (dwp)
Cavey

21st Feb 12 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James

21st Feb 12 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mean a sign-on bonus as in signing-on to the dole. I mean a sign-on bonus as in they gave me a lump sum of cash to convince me to work for them.
Liam-Wilko

21st Feb 12 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That means your employer would. Prob take it from your last pay best off phoneing h r mate cos hmrc wouldn't deal with it unless it came from us
Toby
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And these are the people in charge of tax......

I'm no.expert but anything you pay tax on and then have to pay back, you.would be able to reclaim the tax paid on.
Liam-Wilko

21st Feb 12 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not always the case this is were everyone gets it wrong

James have you been on the dole sins 6th april 2011 or have you been employed in that time?

If you have been employed how much have you earned check your p45 if you have earned more than 7475 from 6th april 11 to 5th april 12 then you will get nothing back unles you are on a tax code that shows BR
RichR
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James, you'll only have to pay tax on your taxable pay, this bonus is included within that and in paying it back you should be eligible for a rebate on the tax paid as the tax you'll have paid this far will outweigh what you should have paid on your salary only. The difficulty I assume is whether the paying back of the bonus is accounted for on your p45/p60 or if you'll have to submit a self assessment form-I'd ask HR in the first instance or go in to your local tax office but I would assume it will be reflected on you final pay documents
RichR
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And Liam you're completely missing the point of the question!!
Liam-Wilko

22nd Feb 12 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
And Liam you're completely missing the point of the question!!

i know what your saying now sorry people and your above quote is right but he will not have to fill in a self assesment for that he would just call the repayments help line and they will go through it with him should be straight forward but can be issues of what they want to know
Paul_J

22nd Feb 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That's not always the case this is were everyone gets it wrong

James have you been on the dole sins 6th april 2011 or have you been employed in that time?

If you have been employed how much have you earned check your p45 if you have earned more than 7475 from 6th april 11 to 5th april 12 then you will get nothing back unles you are on a tax code that shows BR

I'm literally in tears of laughter here

Everyone in my office just looked at me because I couldn't keep the laughter in.

[Edited on 22-02-2012 by Paul_J]
Liam-Wilko

22nd Feb 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

end of the day mate its al income dosnt matter if you get it as hard ship or wether you pull it out of your ars the tax man will tax you on it and if you earn more than 7475 in a year dont expect to get anything back unless you are on a BR code eg alot of Stupid people think this is emergancey tax (there is no such thing)
Paul_J

22nd Feb 12 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but Liam, I was laughing because of your misunderstanding of the situation.

1 ) not realising James was talking about a job golden handshake sign on bonus

2 ) thinking James was on the Dole

3 ) thinking James may have earnt less than £7475 in the last year
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Feb 12 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate, what he is saying is he was paid a bonus £10k, he was taxed on that and lost a percentage of it (20% or 40%)

If he pays that £10k back to his employer then he will be entittled to claim that tax (20% or 40% of the £10k) back from the HMRC
Dave

22nd Feb 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
end of the day mate its al income dosnt matter if you get it as hard ship or wether you pull it out of your ars the tax man will tax you on it and if you earn more than 7475 in a year dont expect to get anything back unless you are on a BR code eg alot of Stupid people think this is emergancey tax (there is no such thing)

A lot of stupid people can't spell emergency.

Taken from HMRC website "Emergency Tax Code-810L".

James, you should get the tax you paid on the bonus repaid to you, how that comes about you are best checking with HMRC (good luck with that).

James

22nd Feb 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knowing my luck when I call up I'll get through to Liam
Liam-Wilko

22nd Feb 12 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope so lmfao and its actually a BR code its put down to emergency tax to simplify it for people there is no actual emergency tax code or in that case nearly half of the UK population would be emergency tax u can end up with a K tax code a BR. Witch means you will pay more tax . Phone us and you will be told the same its a busy time so expect to be on hold a little while
Toby
Premium Member

22nd Feb 12 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you explain why half of the UK would be on an 'emergency tax code', if they called it something else other than 'Emergency', that doesnt make any sense.

I know your trying to help but you talk a lot of shit considering you 'should' know.

New Poll