corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » First proper time out with DSLR

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author First proper time out with DSLR
Mertin

User status: Offline
21st Feb 12 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First time Iv really took any pics with the dslr, apart from quick snaps. Looking for any tips Was just shooting using flash off mode, as auto mode always seems to put the flash on at the slightest of dullness and ruins it.

Camera was a Canon EOS 1000D, standard lens

XSIHardy

22nd Feb 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This makes me want to play around with my ibiza

[Edited on 22-02-2012 by XSIHardy]
neoquip

23rd Feb 12 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice shots.. wait till you start working with the camera out of AUTO mode
Mertin

23rd Feb 12 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neoquip

Thats what Im trying to work up to but dont know where to start.

Whats a good starting point or things that will work with good results on daytime shots like above? Some settings commonly used or something I can start with?
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin

Whats a good starting point or things that will work with good results on daytime shots like above? Some settings commonly used or something I can start with?

Start by shooting in AV mode. You choose the aperture and ISO, the camera chooses shutter speed.

Generally, you'll want as low an ISO as possible at all times. Low ISO means less sensitivity to light and less noise.
If you get too slow shutter speeds, use a larger aperture (which illogically means use a lower aperture value). If you're already at the largest aperture (lowest value) for you lens, then raise the ISO.

Raising or lowering the aperture will influence the depth of field and the contrast. Try taking the same picture at different apertures to see if it has influence on the result.

Mertin

23rd Feb 12 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So should be ok with a low iso then, what effect will it have on the pic if the iso is too low and so that I'll know if I need to raise it? Or will it only need raised if its darker / night?

Depth of field is something id like to be able to get and would be a good starting point If I can start to get it into my pics

Edit : on reading your post again the shutter speed and whether aperture is maxed out /lowest value will let me know if the iso needs raised.

So how will I know if shutter speed is too low

I really need to just get out there and try this! Roll on summer for hopefully some garunteed decent weather or at least dry

[Edited on 23-02-2012 by Mertin]
andy1868

23rd Feb 12 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll know the shutter speed is too low by the images being blurry or just generally not that sharp if they're on the borderline. If you're shooting handheld it will depend on how steady your hand is as to say "what shutter speed is too slow".

You can learn alot about aperture, shutter speed and ISO simply by walking around your house during the day and shooting things handheld. You'll soon learn what it means to have a wide aperture, slow shutter and a high ISO and what effect one has the other. Walking around in perfect light is nice for getting pictures but it doesn't always necessarily help with learning, thats what i found anyway.

neoquip

28th Feb 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
quote:
Originally posted by neoquip

I went on a one Day Photo Course (through GroupOn) to learn about DSLRs.. helped loads... cost about £30

Gets you into the features of what the camera does and can do.

I'm now doing www.100strangers.com challenge which also pushes you to improve your photos from the start to finish.

[Edited on 28-02-2012 by neoquip]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » First proper time out with DSLR 24 database queries in 0.0558822 seconds