corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Carbs or throttlebodies?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Carbs or throttlebodies?
Vauxdan88

User status: Offline
24th Feb 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at getting a set of carbs/throttlebodies for my xe but I'm wondering what to go for,I know what's needed and involved for fitting carbs but how different is it for a set of throttlebodies,particularly r1 bodies. Are they much more difficult to fit? And any difference in gains?
harvey_1066

25th Feb 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with carbs which is what im putting on my XE you'l need carbs £300, then get them all set up with jets and chokes etc £100 then manifold £50/£100 then you'l need filter system £50 then you'l need facet redtop pump £70 and filter king filter / regulator £50/£60 then new pipework £40 and a stand alone distributor system from H&H £250 and an Omex limiter system £110 then allow £100 for other things like pipe clips / jubilee clips etc, then you need all that rolling roaded £150 ish so tbf its rather expensive if your JUST going to put carbs on a standard engine, but if you do other things aswell like i am such as ported and polished head £250 and kent cams £250 (second hand) then head gasket kit £40 ish, then to make all that work a new manifold and exhaust system, 2.5 inch bore manifold £170+ and 2.5 inch exhaust system £170 (second hand)

at the end of the day its all down to how much your willing to spend...
Vauxdan88

25th Feb 12 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry mate I don't think you read the question properly,I said I know what is involved with fitting carbs (and it can be a lot cheaper than all that)! I wanted to know if there was any difference in fitting throttle bodies.
blainej1

25th Feb 12 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally ive had a focus on throttle bodies and a focus on carbs i preferd the carbs the sound is just as good and also i found they were better to tune my focus had cammed manifold exhaust and carbs ran 247 bhp on bodies i was only pushing 212
philip2

25th Feb 12 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbs will ALWAYS be better than carbs, carbs with manifold, carbs, fuel regs, dizzy etc will be £600 unless find a complete setup.
corsadonk
Premium Member

25th Feb 12 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Throttle bodies are best.

I've had both on my old XE.

With carbs it's alway a happy medium, you will tend have them set up decent all the way throught the revs, but never perfect in the bottom, middle and top end of the rev range. Or you can have them set up to be flat out all the time.

But with ITB's they can be set up, so the're perfect in every part of the rev range.

You can go for carbs, but after a while you'll want ITB's.
Corsa_Sport21

25th Feb 12 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by blainej1
personally ive had a focus on throttle bodies and a focus on carbs i preferd the carbs the sound is just as good and also i found they were better to tune my focus had cammed manifold exhaust and carbs ran 247 bhp on bodies i was only pushing 212

So you were making more with carbs than ITB's?? Thats not right.

And what else was done as 247bhp is rather optimistic for the spec.
blainej1

25th Feb 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.0 blacktop lump, apr bolts, custom cams , 4-2-1 manifold custom exhaust stand alone ecu lighten crank and balanced flywheel, fast road clutch
Corsa_Sport21

25th Feb 12 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So over 100bhp from that. Wow didn't know these made that much power from a few such a few mods.
Slugger1990

26th Feb 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carbs need constant setting the slightest wee things can change the calibration on them + better goin with throttle bodies bud
Vauxdan88

26th Feb 12 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers lads
blainej1

26th Feb 12 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Slugger1990
carbs need constant setting the slightest wee things can change the calibration on them + better goin with throttle bodies bud

focus was also stage 2 mapped with few other little things ran it on 2 sets of rollers aswel il post the prointout up in a bit i found with mine running stand alone ecu they were fine and i used it as a daily
Corsa_Sport21

26th Feb 12 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought carbs only needed mappable ignition and not an ECU??
philip2

26th Feb 12 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

247bhp is serious work for a zetec and a lot more needs doing than what you've claimed.

As for carbs always need setting up, bollox, find a decent rolling road and they will be fine for ages, tbs have linkages and go out of sync too, just everyone think carbs are old and forver doing it.

You can run carbs off a 1.6 mk2 cav vac advance dizzy, but hatd to get second hand, you can buy an 'as new' ignition kit from 'H&H' to suit.

Obv tbs need likes of dta, omex, emerald etc
martinlird

27th Feb 12 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turbo.....end of conversation
philip2

28th Feb 12 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turbos are shite lol,
mon3y1

2nd Mar 12 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote