corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » F1 - Women Drivers.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author F1 - Women Drivers.
nathy_87

User status: Offline
   7th Mar 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll pop it in here as it's to do with Sports, but if people think we'll get more of a reaction in OD then post it in there.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/exclusives/female-drivers-are-coming-to-formula-1-says-red-bull-boss

What are your thoughts?

[Edited on 07-03-2012 by nathy_87]
Jamie Walby

7th Mar 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well with the advances in sanitary towels they can ski, run and cycle so why not drive an F1 car.
Dom

7th Mar 12 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
Well with the advances in sanitary towels they can ski, run and cycle so why not drive an F1 car.

There's already been a few female F1 drivers, Lombardi (70s) springs to mind, but I can't think of a female driver that has had any real success in F1. However we're certainly closer to getting another female F1 driver, only recently did you have Lotus apparently in talks with Maria Villota with regards to a seat (still confused to why she was getting a look it as she was absolute crap in superleague) and there are a handful of potential female drivers in other Formula's like Alice Powell (apparently she's struggling for sponsorship this season which is a shame).
Whittie

7th Mar 12 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87

What are your thoughts?

Only if they're very fit, if not they can fuck off back to the kitchen.
chrisritch

7th Mar 12 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the shitter teams will get one because its great PR
Gary
Premium Member

7th Mar 12 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:

What are your thoughts?

Dom

7th Mar 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:

What are your thoughts?

But then you end up with drivers like Danica Patrick and F1 doesn't need more shit drivers
spencer88

7th Mar 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as f1 does not bring parking and reversing into races, they should be ok.
Robbo

7th Mar 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they wil lnever be able to be fit enough to cope with F1 tracks IMO, all well and good going round ina circle every week but its ddiff when you add in all the diff types of tracks
Dom

7th Mar 12 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
they wil lnever be able to be fit enough to cope with F1 tracks IMO, all well and good going round ina circle every week but its ddiff when you add in all the diff types of tracks

Plenty of females in other formula's and indycar/champcar that race on non-oval tracks who cope fine.
Cavey

7th Mar 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't have to parallel park in f1 so they should be ok

Balls, spencer beat me to it

[Edited on 07-03-2012 by Cavey]
Dom

7th Mar 12 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97888.

quote:
Maria de Villota has joined the Marussia Formula 1 team as a test driver for the 2012 season.

The Spaniard, who has raced in several series including Spanish F3, the Daytona 24 Hours, and Superleague Formula Championship, first drove a Formula 1 car last year when she tested a Renault R29 at Paul Ricard.

I'm suspect this more for PR, otherwise things are desperate at Marussia if she was the better of the bunch
Lawrah
Premium Member

7th Mar 12 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be fair, Id put a bet on Fee being a better driver than all of you.

I dont see anything wrong with it. If you have a problem with it you live in the dark ages.
_Allan_

7th Mar 12 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed...

emicen

8th Mar 12 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they get there on ability, there is no issue. However, I see it turning in to a Danica Patrick situation very quickly.

As sure as there are only several drivers on the grid in F1 because of the massive personal backing they have, Patrick wouldnt be anywhere near the grid if she didnt look decent in a bikini. Especially risky in F1 given their habbit of pandering to marketing, look at the furore when Lewis Hamilton landed at McLaren, "look look, we've got a coloured driver!"

There are more women in motorsport now and they will filter through. It'll be a sad day when a talented male driver loses a seat to a black, one legged, lesbian just so the teams can tick all their diversity boxes.
Dr Pepper

8th Mar 12 at 06:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The margins between the best and worst drivers in f1 is pretty small.... The top drivers ate incredibly fit and strong - this along with talent gives them an edge

A female driver would have to be incredibly talented to make up for the difference in strength levels between her physical peak and that of the top men.

I just can't really see a women ever competing at the top of f1 unless she has been taking male hormones from an early age... The lack of strength and endurance would make it pretty much impossible to compete over a season at the high end of the grid

It's more likely a shite team will get a decent pretty female driver and use her as a license to print money

[Edited on 08-03-2012 by Dr Pepper]
Dom

8th Mar 12 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Comment on Maria de Villota from F1Fanatic (comment on the news article) -

quote:
Look, I’m a huge believer in bringing more women into traditionally male roles in motorsport, including race seats. When my site was active, we were outspoken cheerleaders on the subject. I believe one of the F1 circus’s biggest lost opportunities was letting Simona de Silvestro slip away to American racing, and if I had a few spare millions down the back of the sofa I’d be investing it in Alice Powell.

But Maria de Villota has as much business being sat in an F1 car as I have. If you watched Superleague you’d have seen she was embarrassingly bad. Slow, stubborn when being lapped, and prone to hitting other cars. Some Superleague drivers were very good indeed, but the tail of the field was weak or inexperienced or both – and she was worse than the worst of them by quite a margin.

Yesterday when the press release went out from Mark Blundell’s 2MB that they were representing her, it was a real shocker. This goes a long way to explaining it.

But, please, no-one get the idea that this is the long-awaited and (for me at least) long hoped-for arrival of a female challenger in F1. She’s not up to the job. It’s not her age, it’s not her gender, it’s not even that money is certainly involved – it’s what she’s like behind the wheel.

As the old saying goes, she couldn’t drive a nail into a plank of wood.

And this sums up how crap she is (she's the one ramming her way back in) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJZKhvJurno&t=34s

All for females in F1 but this she is what the sport doesn't need
emicen

8th Mar 12 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
The margins between the best and worst drivers in f1 is pretty small.... The top drivers ate incredibly fit and strong - this along with talent gives them an edge

A female driver would have to be incredibly talented to make up for the difference in strength levels between her physical peak and that of the top men.

I just can't really see a women ever competing at the top of f1 unless she has been taking male hormones from an early age... The lack of strength and endurance would make it pretty much impossible to compete over a season at the high end of the grid

It's more likely a shite team will get a decent pretty female driver and use her as a license to print money

Got to disagree on that one. There are women in cart and DTM able to physically stand up to it with the men, F1 isn't that different.
noshua

8th Mar 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

And this sums up how crap she is (she's the one ramming her way back in) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJZKhvJurno&t=34s

All for females in F1 but this she is what the sport doesn't need

That's funny but scary at the same time - what exactly did she think she was doing? Turning circle in that "car" is no where near small enough to attempt to do what she did - never mind the fact it's dangerous!
Dr Pepper

8th Mar 12 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by emicen
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper

Got to disagree on that one. There are women in cart and DTM able to physically stand up to it with the men, F1 isn't that different.

It isnt that different...but it is different. They may well stand up to the men in carts and DTM.... Doing it in an F1 car over a season with all the pressure that goes with it is quite another thing imo. Some of the greatest male driver have folded under the physical and mental strain it puts on you - I find it hard to believe a Women could achieve a top 5 finish in f1.

There isnt a women alive on the planet who is going to be able to go head to head with Alonso, Hamilton, Vettell, Webber and Button ect ect over a season....and I dont believe there ever has been. I wouldnt rule it out from ever happening but its very unlikely to happen. As I said she would have to be supremely talented, a physical freak, be offered a drive in a top car and have the killer mentality that all champions have to have,

Would make it very interesting if a women did come along who posed a threat at the top of F1.... how long would it be before Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher were comfortable enough with it to put her in a wall.

Dom

8th Mar 12 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pepper - What you're saying can't be done by women already has as there has been a handful of championship winning females in other series; so that rules out a lot of your argument. Fitness would be the only concern because as you say, F1 is a fair step up from the likes of Indycar/Champcar. But i still don't believe it's a big enough obstacle that it would prevent females entering F1 or being able to challenge top male drivers.

Either way it's inevitable, females will start entering F1; it's just a case of when (a lot of eyes will be on de Villota this season though).

noshua - Clearly she wanted to minimise lost track positions but it was just full on dangerous what she ended up doing. But it pretty much sums up her one and only Superleague season, even then she only did half the season.
Her father wasn't much cop in F1 either from what i remember.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » F1 - Women Drivers. 23 database queries in 0.7657311 seconds