corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » bike people...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bike people...
Matt L

User status: Offline
   25th Mar 12 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I know sweet f a about bikes I would like your help... Basically I'm considering gettin a bike licence depending on all the costs involved seen the 5 day direct access thing for 800 which is wat I'd probably do as iv only ever sat on a bike a few times... However looking at second hand bikes/insurance is where i have no idea lol.... (also not looked into clothing yet as its all very early days of looking) but after looking on autotrader I didn't realise how cheap bikes were lol... Insurance on the other hand was 1.7k lolz... Suppose I was looking at a 600cc bike lol.

But my question is what kind of bike would be good to start with insurance wise... I'd want something that sounded like a bike not a hair dryer and also looked nice lol.

Any links/advice appreciated...
bolton

25th Mar 12 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at suzuki sv 650's there a gud first bike, cheap insurance aswell
Pucci1

25th Mar 12 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bandit 600?
Russ

25th Mar 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

something without fairings so when you drop it its cheap
Bonney

25th Mar 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1700 quid to insure

In my first year of riding (A zx6r, un restricted with 0 no claims) I payed £400 for the year. Now I pay £190 a year fully comp! (Now with 3 years no claims)

Also get in there before the end of this year as it is all canging yet again, Now its a pretty daft setup but it is only going to get worse!

For a first bike i'd have a look at Honda hornet 600, Suzuki SV650, Suzuki Bandit 600 and Yamaha Fazer 600. All pretty good bikes to learn on (That is if you do the direct access and you are over 21)

As for cheap kit, See if you have a George white outlet near you, They sell all the bankrupt stock from the other shops, All new items just at silly low prices. I got a set of boots that were reduced form £250 down to £100, and a pair of gloves reduced from £70 down to £30. Both good makes too!
Bonney

25th Mar 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look at some of these, All decent learner bikes

Fazer 600

Suzuki Bandit 600

Suzuki SV650

Honda Hornet 600

My biggest tip is, DO NOT scrimp on your helmet, Go for the best you can afford, Then pay a bit more. Don't go for a cheap one afterall one day it could save your life!
neil h

25th Mar 12 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
My biggest tip is, DO NOT scrimp on your helmet, Go for the best you can afford, Then pay a bit more. Don't go for a cheap one afterall one day it could save your life!

At the end of the day your putting a value on your head, that helmet is all you have to protect it.
deanmcreynolds26

25th Mar 12 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that seems expensive for insurance, who with?

i was 220 tpft on a zx6r 1st year, not sure what id be now cos ive sold the bike.
gazza808

25th Mar 12 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bloody hell where are you getting your prices.
last year my direct access cost me 425quid,
bike cost me 1500quid (gsxr600)
insurance was 490 tpft
Matt L

25th Mar 12 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was on a comparison site, tbf not really sure if I filled it all out right as I wa sent paying a great deal of attention .

Age wise I'm 23 (24 in Sept) so I can do the direct access and from what I gathered about the changes it wouldn't affect me as the way I read it is that it's basically just upping the age to 24 for unrestricted bikes.
Daimo B

26th Mar 12 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
Have a look at some of these, All decent learner bikes

Fazer 600

Suzuki Bandit 600

Suzuki SV650

Honda Hornet 600

Agreed on the bikes, good list, each offers a different riding experience, pros and cons on each bike. Also include the Kwak ER6 range. It will also depend on budget.

Regarding the helmet, don't believe all you read. Some budget lids have given much better crash protection results than a lot of middle range (£300-£500) lids. I've had HJCs. and cheap Arai, AGV's, X-lite (Nolan), and all sorts. As long as its got the gold sticker (ACU approved) then you will be fine. Helemts are a personnal choice, go for what you can afford and what you like. As an idea, look to spend £100-£300 for a good lid. Its the rest of it that costs loads, leathers, back protector, boots, gloves etc.

George Whites Swindon has gone bust. Unsure how other chains are effected.

To rub salt in, im £310, fully comp, protected, the full works, on my fancy Italian bike But then i've got like 10 years ncb
Sunz

26th Mar 12 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will need a CBT before you can take the direct access I believe and that's about £80+ depending if you have to use their bikes or if you have your own bike to use.

richc

26th Mar 12 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
You will need a CBT before you can take the direct access I believe and that's about £80+ depending if you have to use their bikes or if you have your own bike to use.

More than that. I paid about £110 6 years ago
Sunz

26th Mar 12 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the location in the Uk I believe, still £80 around here if you supply your own bike or £100 using the riding schools bikes.

gazza808

26th Mar 12 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

if it's a full direct access course it's usually included!
mine certainly was,

need to get your theory done before hand also though
Matt L

26th Mar 12 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
quote:

mine certainly was,

Yeh the cbt is included in the 800 along with rental of bike/clothing etc, that was another question do I have to redo the theory test?

[Edited on 26-03-2012 by Matt L]
Tom G

26th Mar 12 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
quote:

mine certainly was,

Yeh the cbt is included in the 800 along with rental of bike/clothing etc, that was another question do I have to redo the theory test?

[Edited on 26-03-2012 by Matt L]

Yes you have to redo the theory test
Russ

26th Mar 12 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

re helmet : you can get a 5* sharp rated from £90. expensive doesn't always mean safe, but will mean comfy
Bonney

26th Mar 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When did george whites go bust?
jimmy 2.1

26th Mar 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went bust in January. Some of the stores have re-opened under the administrators to clear old stock
Sunz

26th Mar 12 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would like to do my bike test, just dont have the confidence to do it, have the money and have ridden bikes from 16 years old to 22, but didn't ride anything for a while, insurance is some how super cheap on something that can do 160mph yet on something that takes 16 seconds to get to 60 its massive.. Main reason really, cost of fuel, insurance, tax is so cheap for a bike.. Would like a nice SV650.
gazza808

26th Mar 12 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I would like to do my bike test, just dont have the confidence to do it, have the money and have ridden bikes from 16 years old to 22, but didn't ride anything for a while, insurance is some how super cheap on something that can do 160mph yet on something that takes 16 seconds to get to 60 its massive.. Main reason really, cost of fuel, insurance, tax is so cheap for a bike.. Would like a nice SV650.

See I was like this, then I mentioned it to my mate and we both booked on the same course etc,

Really helped tbh was just like going out with the boys aha.
corsa120

26th Mar 12 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

blimey i had a suzuki bandit 1200s for my first bike after doin a das course and my insurance was 260 quid with carol nash.............. i currently now have a fully faired sv 650 with scorpion can on the back and i have to say this bike is so much fun, it handles really well and the sound of the thing with my can on is just gorgeous so id recommend one of these any day of the week and they can be had for so little money as they are only around 5k new
Matt L

26th Mar 12 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I'm the same really tbh only bin on russ's bike up and down a road shit myself then tbh lol but the amount of money I'd save in the long run over using the car is what's making me want to head that way its the higher chance of death that puts me off lol (i know that's down to how you ride but still)
Russ

27th Mar 12 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt you did fine on it tbf. I did my cbt and after the morning session was bricking it going out on the road, but so simple it's untrue

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » bike people... 22 database queries in 0.0155909 seconds