corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Right or wrong?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Right or wrong?
Aaron

User status: Offline
27th Mar 12 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could be renting out a property soon. I've been given the form to fill in, in which i detail the type of person/people i'd like in there.

No no's are:

Smokers
Students
DSS etc
The usual shit

Now, here's the awkward bit.

Given that world we live in today, and the lovely "multi-culture" which has been thrust upon us, we have a fair few polish people round here, not to mention African and Chinese students (to name a few). Anyway, am i able to say "no polish, no African and no Chinese" on the form?

Aaron

27th Mar 12 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and i should probably say that my reason for not liking those groups of people is due to the experiences which my girlfriend and I have had in the last place we lived...which we're literally just moved out of.
RichR
Premium Member

27th Mar 12 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DSS are great tenants, you're guaranteed to get paid every month and DSS pay for any damage unlike the private rental market like the girl who did a moonlight flit out of one of our flats, havin paid no council tax for 12 months, owed us £500 and smashed up the bedroom furniture
AndyKent

27th Mar 12 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Likewise, theres a DSS in one of the flats in our block, currently on a GPS tag and night curfew.

And smokes weed in the flat like its going out of fashion despite it being a no smoking building.
Aaron

27th Mar 12 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, take DSS off that list then. I only put it there because i thought it was the done thing.
RichR
Premium Member

27th Mar 12 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if the tenants are trouble, it gets sorted by DSS. They get moved out, new ones get moved in. We're fortunate with our two sets of tenants at the minute but looking to buy another flat just now and think I'll stick DSS in there for less hassle

[Edited on 27-03-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Nismo

28th Mar 12 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No just put for UK nationals only, if questioned you can just say you want to accommodate local home grown citizens.

end of the day you can put on ebay no international buyers so i guess you can with tenants
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another point is to check your mortgage document; the two flats she bought before we were together clearly state no DSS amongst others whereas the two we bought together don't say anything about who we can and can't rent to; both are BTL mortgages but with different companies

[Edited on 28-03-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Sam
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the social pay the landlord direct then?

I thought with housing benefit that gets paid to the claimant?
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the default is that they pay housing benefit to the indivdual who in turn pays you but in the worst (best case for the landlord) scenario; it can be paid direct
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
28th Mar 12 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you not going to vet them first yourself?

Social and overseas make some of the best tenants, particularly in terms of rent collection.
Tom

28th Mar 12 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Social and overseas make some of the best tenants, particularly in terms of rent collection.

Depends on the nationality and reason for being here. My mates got a flat in the old haymarket in town, two swedish girls going to LIPA very good, he's also got a new build in Speke with 4 Poles working here in, they've absolutely trashed the place, but then again the previous tenant was a 19 year old single mother who did similar (DSS covered though).
Sam
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think as a landlord you need to account for things that need fixing when a tenant moves out - that's the whole point of a deposit, they break something their deposit pays for it.

It would be a bit naive to think that only certain types of tenant are 'great' - just because someone comes from one particular background doesn't automatically make them shit.
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last one who moved out broke a wardrobe door and blocked the shower with her pubes and hair, melted the carpet with her hair straigtheners and broke a blind. New guy isn't overly fussed, we sorted the shower issue (bleurgh), and he's bought rugs, curtains and blinds and his own furniture. Has asked to paint/decorate and we've allowed on the grounds that he puts it back to standard as and when he moves out, went around and it looks better than ever so told him just to leave as is if he leaves.

You'll always get some good and some bad
Sam
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have put her hair and pubes in an envelope and given it to her - "I think you forgot this when you moved out"...
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't knwo where she is, She hasn't gone back to her Mum's as they've fallen out. Last reports have her in Luton (iirc) every weekend and she's quit her job here. There is a court order against her for an Orange Mobile phone bill so in all honesty, I think we'll end up writing off the £500 she owes us as she's been ordered to pay Orange £2.50 a week or something equally ridiculous. Tried to get her to give us her Fiesta in payment but she's apparently paid off debts she had to her Mum with it
Aaron

28th Mar 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Yes, but i was hoping i could make the process easier by prevent particular groups of people even getting a foot in the door in the first place.
Jimbothebarbarian

28th Mar 12 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think you are aloud to discriminate against race or religion.

You can get into trouble for doing so. Vet them yourself and you can pick who you want then..
Gary
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would a foreigner fail a credit check as they have no history in the uk?

Could be a way to get round it, just make your check more strict?
Aaron

29th Mar 12 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a viewing on it today. Femele, 25, single, local lass, nurse.

nathy_87

29th Mar 12 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chinese though?

Good luck.
adiohead

29th Mar 12 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get yourself a casting couch
Aaron

29th Mar 12 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote