corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » 2 students renting a private flat, possible?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2 students renting a private flat, possible?
LeeM

User status: Offline
20th May 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would this be possible or will 90% of estate agents tell us to do one? me and the mrs are considering it for next year, 1 bed apartment for the 2 of us using both her dad and mine as guarantor. our loans easily cover the rent but im still worried as students without jobs we're gonna get told to do one by pretty much everyone?

im gonna start visiting estate agents to ask them directly but does anyone have any first hand experience?
Matty SRi

20th May 12 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't go through estate agents. Sure you'll find someone advertising on the internet/paper and won't be bothered as long as they get paid. I've had 3 houses and never once went through estate agents. Also have to pay stupid amounts for admin fee through agents.
LeeM

20th May 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so much easier with an agent though looking at places like this http://www.findaproperty.com/to-rent/property-11719949

dont want a shit hole and get the feeling these luxury-ish blocks in the centre will all be with agents. and friends with private landlords are always chasing them up for weeks when something goes wrong
jrsteeve

20th May 12 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the guarantors you'll be fine, though some landlords stipulate no students, may have to offer a higher deposit. Problem with going private - gumtree etc is scam artists i.e. people pretending to own it, let it and run off with your cash.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th May 12 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate's just signed up for one in Beetham West Tower, both students, 30th floor, proper swish.

Think they just responded to an advert in Your Move, went a viewed and agreed it.
LeeM

20th May 12 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still dont fully know the area yet ian, wheres beetham west?
i live on hatton garden/tithebarn street now which is ideal for getting to uni on byrom street and walking into/out of town. dont really wanna move further away from byrom street but L1 area is only another 10 minute walk of a morning to uni
Ian
Site Administrator

20th May 12 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one with the slanty top -

You'll definitely get something private around there.

I thought Hatton Garden was already private rented?
LeeM

20th May 12 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh i love that building! always think its a helicopter on the roof haha! im in victoria hall, student halls so they take rent in 3 installments, ill get a good ref etc.
LeeM

20th May 12 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wonder if they'd let me and the lads in on this http://www.findaproperty.com/to-rent/property-11267576
not sure the mrs would want to share with 2 other guys like
Shell
Premium Member

22nd May 12 at 06:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't it make sense to get a part time job to not only increase your chances of getting the flat but to also increase your income to pay for said flat? Your entire loan will be gone on rent, what would you live on?

Also, £2000 almost worth of rent between 3 lads? Bills on top of that etc. What kind of students are you lot?!

[Edited on 22-05-2012 by Shell]
P1CK4D

22nd May 12 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
Also, £2000 almost worth of rent between 3 lads? Bills on top of that etc. What kind of students are you lot?!

That's exactly what I thought. I've clearly missed out on a great part of living!
ed

22nd May 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've lived in privately rented flats since the end of my second year - works out about the same as the cost of halls these day. Never had a problem as it's the norm around Birmingham.
LeeM

22nd May 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
Wouldn't it make sense to get a part time job to not only increase your chances of getting the flat but to also increase your income to pay for said flat? Your entire loan will be gone on rent, what would you live on?

[Edited on 22-05-2012 by Shell]

not actually gonna go for that it's just gonna be me and the girlfriend. A 1 bedroom is less than £600 between us, we bothe pay £100 a week each and have money left from loans. You get a lot nowadays I'm better off than when I was working tbh
LeeM

22nd May 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and another reason we're looking is because her house is £100 each a week for 6 of them. £2.5k a month for a 6 bedroom terraced house! Location is good (opposite the bombed out church) but it would be less than half as much if it wasn't student accommodation
Tom G

23rd May 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you think for second and third years? course you can get private! You'll find a few rentable properties will be student friendly, my friend is staying in a 5 bedroom and they already have locks etc in all the rooms, obviously meant for students. Should be tons close to the campus.
Tom G

23rd May 12 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you try and go with others instead of just you two, be a lot cheaper. With a one room flat your not paying half of what a two room is, third of a 3 room property etc. Would work our cheaper in the long run.
LeeM

24th May 12 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
What do you think for second and third years? course you can get private! You'll find a few rentable properties will be student friendly, my friend is staying in a 5 bedroom and they already have locks etc in all the rooms, obviously meant for students. Should be tons close to the campus.

I don't mean private student accommodation, I know you can get that that's what she's in but they're all 4 bed minimum and £100 each a week minimum.
I'm talking standard estate agents with monthly payments that ask for bank statements and credit checks to prove you're working, because neither of us are working so if they did check us we'd be knocked back. I'm more interested in finding out if by using guarantors they won't be bothered abou checking us.
Dan295

24th May 12 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i must be doing something wrong, what i get to live on is obscene, barely anything.

make sure you have student ID and letters which you can show the estate agent to make sure you dont get stung for council tax

New Poll