corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 14 day rule on speeding fines from fixed cameras? UPDATE.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 14 day rule on speeding fines from fixed cameras? UPDATE.
Ben G

User status: Offline
20th May 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

long story short, last month i was travelling back from manchester and got caught by an average speed camera doing 63mph in a 50mph zone (shock horror).

i can't remember doing this but i do remember that day as i was stuck in traffic the whole way back (250miles) so can only assume that i had a small bit of open road and got caught out.

this was on 09/04/12. i received the letter yesterday 19/05/12 and the date on the letter was 18/05/12.

obviously this is quite a lot longer than 14 days, so i'm wondering whether this rule is a made up internet myth or set in stone law?

first fine in 6 years of driving and it had to be an average speed camera

[Edited on 12-06-2012 by Ben G]
LeeM

20th May 12 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

myth, its 6 months
Ben G

20th May 12 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been researching and it says 6 months for a court summons, 14 days for a notice of intended prosecution (which is what i got).

only weird thing is that the name it was addressed to was for the previous owner but the house address was obviously mine.

it's from warwickshire police also so not local.

annoyed me a little but as i've a clean license it doesn't really affect me too much. expecting 3 points/60 quid fine for 13mph over.
Ian
Site Administrator

20th May 12 at 23:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anomaly on the address may indicate that they've tried the old keeper first and he's informed of the change of ownership but not put your name on it.

If that is the reason for the delay and the DVLA records were inaccurate at the time of the offence then the time period has been adhered to and the NIP is still valid.

Sounds like it will proceed but not too serious, probably best to plead by post and take the standard hit on it.
Ben G

21st May 12 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same as i thought. my dad has other ideas though and wants to phone them up and query it i'm not one to argue over things that are a result of my incompetence hence why i'm happy to just accept the charge, but he's a bit of a del boy trying to wiggle his way out of anything
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

21st May 12 at 00:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll get offered the cours i think
Cookieace

21st May 12 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea I did about 61 in a 50 mph too and got caught, problem was it was a temp 50 in what usually is a dual carrigeway, didn't see the signs at the time.

I got offered the course as you are allowed to do 10% and then I think it is 7 mph over? Not too sure you would get it since you were doing 63 mph.
Steve
Premium Member

21st May 12 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You aren't allowed to do even 1% over its entirely down to officers discretion
Graeme
Premium Member

21st May 12 at 07:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
You aren't allowed to do even 1% over its entirely down to officers discretion

Also can send you a letter when ever really. But it will normally be within 3 months.
Nic Barnes

21st May 12 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had one at work was 11 months until the letter arrived. Was from Scottish police though.
Fro

21st May 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I received an NIP once, asked them for the pictures they had of my car speeding, they sent them and said await further correspondence.

Didn't receive anything else so got away with it
Ben G

21st May 12 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would be nice to get away with it but i can't see that happening tbh.

my dad called them up today they said to send them a letter back informing them the incorrect name is on the letter and not to do anything else just yet.

don't know what to make of that tbh.
Ben G

21st May 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Krim
Yea I did about 61 in a 50 mph too and got caught, problem was it was a temp 50 in what usually is a dual carrigeway, didn't see the signs at the time.

this seems to be the same way i must have got caught.

it was M42/M6 toll southbound carriageway according to the letter so i was doing 63mph on what would normally be a 70mph motorway. wasn't any roadworks there afaik so must have just been a temporary speed restriction

alan-g-w

21st May 12 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The mobile video vans need to put letters out within 2 weeks or something - I got caught out by one and the general concensus on the internet was that they're only able to process something like 60% of the evidence or whatever but they send out all the letters anyway since an admission of guilt will get you charged. I ignored it and it went away
Toby
Premium Member

22nd May 12 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are unsure how you got caught by massive gantry signs with the speed on it and huge signs at the side of the road stating average speed cameras. Oh dear. It'd unlucky but not surprising

You could have returned the letter saying not known ay this address and just dragged it out, may have got away with it but could cause you more aggro.
Ben G

22nd May 12 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there were no roadworks and i was stuck in traffic the whole way back, just got unlucky i guess, hence why it was only 63mph and not any higher

i do remember a point where the camera points kept changing speed, from 70/60/50/40, so it may well have been there.

i remember saying to the other half about it, i must have sped up and forgot about it until the next set of cameras.
Jimbothebarbarian

23rd May 12 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
The mobile video vans need to put letters out within 2 weeks or something - I got caught out by one and the general concensus on the internet was that they're only able to process something like 60% of the evidence or whatever but they send out all the letters anyway since an admission of guilt will get you charged. I ignored it and it went away

I asked for the picture when I got done (55mph in a 60 but in a van )

They said I have to opt to go to court before they'll send pictures out So is it a case of take the risk they're bluffing? Because if you do go to court you get bigger fines and costs.

It's like fucking blackmail!

[Edited on 23-05-2012 by Jimbothebarbarian]
BYRON

23rd May 12 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M42/M6 Toll? Fuck, I belt up and down there most weeks...
I do pay attention to the gantry indicated maximum speed limits to adhere to which sounds like - if there were no roadworks how you were caught.
Toby
Premium Member

23rd May 12 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im under the imporession the gantry signs were lit indicating maximum speed?
pow
Premium Member

23rd May 12 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the gantry signs are lit up they enforce the limit with speed cameras behind the gantries
alan-g-w

23rd May 12 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in the things that straddle the mway warning about 'fog ahead' and stuff like that? No chance they'd be able to fine you for ignoring the indicated limit on them up here, the M8 would be a fucking 20mph limit for about 1/3 of the year if that was the case - they're lazy bastards with them up this way
BarnshaW

23rd May 12 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty certain they have 2 weeks to issue a S172 or whatever it is to the owner of the car? unless verbal NIP was given at roadside?
John

23rd May 12 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's different, it's proper red circled speed limit signs, not the advisory ones on the M8.
Toby
Premium Member

23rd May 12 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As in the things that straddle the mway warning about 'fog ahead' and stuff like that? No chance they'd be able to fine you for ignoring the indicated limit on them up here, the M8 would be a fucking 20mph limit for about 1/3 of the year if that was the case - they're lazy bastards with them up this way

These

When lit they enforce the speed.
Ben G

23rd May 12 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
quote:

These

When lit they enforce the speed.

that's the ones

although they aren't average speed camera's so unsure why they've been labelled as that. maybe i've got the wrong camera's.

went to see my dad today so he could explain what they said properly.

the number he rang was the camera enforcement company. they said the police wrote to the ''owner'' of the car but had no reply. they then checked the details were correct and found they had been updated with my details (name and address).

they then sent a letter to my address but put the previous owners name on it instead of mine i usually get mail from 2 people who used to live here and throw them in the bin and could have done the same here, so it's quite a big fuck up from their end.

a letter has been sent back to them informing them of their error. now waiting for a response.

[Edited on 23-05-2012 by Ben G]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 14 day rule on speeding fines from fixed cameras? UPDATE. 22 database queries in 0.0156851 seconds