corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » KW release iPhone adjustable suspension

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author KW release iPhone adjustable suspension
thegsi

User status: Offline
26th May 12 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Honestly can't decide what I think of this. It's definately on a fine line between ridiculous and utterly awsome

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25749
Gary
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes sence. Easier than getting your laptop out.
gez bay

26th May 12 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's cool
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is pretty cool

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Nic Barnes

26th May 12 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a decent idea. Although it would take a complete berk to own it as you'd have to tell everyone your phone can adjust your suspension. Which is just plain sad.
taylorboosh

26th May 12 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus then you have to stick with I phones
Steve
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what barnes said

for scene kids, icy will love this
Gary
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The scene kids will be running accuairs stuff not 'sport' kw's.

I think its a good idea for folk who do the odd track days and have more money than sence
John

26th May 12 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they already have electronic adjustment it's not exactly a big leap. Hacking the suspension of passing cars would be funny.
thegsi

26th May 12 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If they already have electronic adjustment it's not exactly a big leap. Hacking the suspension of passing cars would be funny.

As far as I'm aware, the only remote adjustment so far is Tein EDFC which is literally a wired motor that adjusts the dampening nipple from a switch. Also, KW did make a height adjustable set with an added remote resevoir that was connected via a switch. It had like 30mm of range for low cars clearing speed bumps, kind of like the Enzo. I think the technology and development behind this, for a road based unit at least is pretty fresh.
John

26th May 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turning a motor from an iPhone is not 'fresh'.
big eck

26th May 12 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it's superb it can be done from a mobile phone.
Sunz

26th May 12 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think 90% of the people who have KW's and that app won't have a clue with the adjustments will really mean in terms of track performance and then 10% of people will really get a great deal of use out of it, improving their performance based upon the track their at.
thegsi

26th May 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Well who else has done this?
Steve
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hes on about the technology involved, its not new.

i cant see the market for this tbh, its obviously not going to be cheap, and anyone that seriously into track driving will not be buying stuff and adjusting it on an iphone.

so that leaves scene kids with more money than sense
Steve
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this guy sums it up

quote:
I understand and agree with advances in suspension technology, but to give an infinitely adjustable set up to someone means it will get infinitely f@@@ed about with. I can only speak from my point of view as a race mechanic and having set cars up for people only for them to go out and in their infinite wisdom of knowing fack all and being miles of the pace decided they "would just try something" and "someone told me this" only for the car to come back in a year as they were lost. Back to the original set up and our test driver/boss puts it on pole.
Most people won't even get near what the car is capable of doing so why do they think they can dial it in! More weight, more complication...just spend money on a good set of dampers and stay within the suspension geometry boundaries and go and have fun.
Gimmick on growing market of nonsense... I don't have sport 1 and track 3 with diff plus engaged on my turbo2 I just drive the thing. How many of you have seriously gone flat out, full commitment job on the road in your cars to notice if damper setting 3 is quicker than 4 and would you ever know.
Gary
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsi
quote:

Well who else has done this?

Accuair
thegsi

26th May 12 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant who else has made an iPhone compatible suspension system? Agreed it'll be ridiculously expensive and no good for super fast track professionals (like you Steve) but there is a big market for the scene kids as you said. Very gimmicky but a neat idea IMO. ( the whole package, not turning a motor)
Steve
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt buy it because i dont have more money than sense, and also its less weight to just turn a knob
thegsi

26th May 12 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh there's much better conventional kits out there for a lot less cash.
Gary
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I meant who else has made an iPhone compatible suspension system?

Accuair!

http://blog.accuairsuspension.com/

Yeah, its not made for sports applications but its still controlling suspension.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather have controls for it on the centre console or something within easy reach rather than having to get my phone out of my pocket, which you obviously need to park up for otherwise you're risking points and a fine. It's pointless.
thegsi

26th May 12 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
I meant who else has made an iPhone compatible suspension system?

Accuair!

http://blog.accuairsuspension.com/

Yeah, its not made for sports applications but its still controlling suspension.

Oh bloody hell! My bad mate
RKS

26th May 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
this guy sums it up

quote:
I understand and agree with advances in suspension technology, but to give an infinitely adjustable set up to someone means it will get infinitely f@@@ed about with. I can only speak from my point of view as a race mechanic and having set cars up for people only for them to go out and in their infinite wisdom of knowing fack all and being miles of the pace decided they "would just try something" and "someone told me this" only for the car to come back in a year as they were lost. Back to the original set up and our test driver/boss puts it on pole.
Most people won't even get near what the car is capable of doing so why do they think they can dial it in! More weight, more complication...just spend money on a good set of dampers and stay within the suspension geometry boundaries and go and have fun.
Gimmick on growing market of nonsense... I don't have sport 1 and track 3 with diff plus engaged on my turbo2 I just drive the thing. How many of you have seriously gone flat out, full commitment job on the road in your cars to notice if damper setting 3 is quicker than 4 and would you ever know.

if no-one ever "Just tried something" then no-one would have learnt anything new, you learn by experimentation. as long as you can get it back to the previous configuration what is the issue with experimentation? half of the fun for some people is the experimentation. I thought that you would appreciate this with building your track car. this sort of application would probably be better geared towards air ride though.

In regards to the software Sounds like a logical step forward to be honest. people are moving from laptops to smartphones/tablets so its logical for the software to move in this direction too. however this application is probably a bit overkill still cool though.

[Edited on 26-05-2012 by RKS]
Steve
Premium Member

26th May 12 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the point is people who dont really know what they are doing will be "experimenting" and fucking up settings that are already set optimally for there car

same reason i dont lower my car too much as i dont want to put things like wishbone angles, scrub radius etc too far out of spec

as you say though this is more geared towards air ride, which is why i said its scene lol, i dont have a problem with its existance, if you have the money and arent trying to emulate some F1 team then go for it

[Edited on 26-05-2012 by Steve]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » KW release iPhone adjustable suspension 23 database queries in 0.0171371 seconds