corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 12 months in Australia - anyone done it?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 12 months in Australia - anyone done it?
stan_the_man

User status: Offline
28th May 12 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm young, single, no kids and I have family in Perth so fancy fucking off for a year. My mates just got there and is working, says I'd get a job no problem.

Anyone done the same?
Recaro1

28th May 12 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, but my missus went travelling for a year or so after uni. She has family in Oz too so had somewhere to crash, people to see, etc.

Sounds like a frickin good time. Do it now, you'll only regret it.

If you have family and a mate there, then for me, its a no brainer.

Its one of my regrets
stan_the_man

28th May 12 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just need to apply for VISA which will be no problem.

Ticket is £650 one way so will need to sell up my car etc and leave the house I'm renting but that will be sorted!

Very very tempted!!
Matt L

28th May 12 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you only live once...

my brother went over for a year working/travelling, he never had any issues getting a job as far as im aware.

Id personally jump at the chance to go and do it.
nathy_87

28th May 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for it.
Aaron

28th May 12 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know I must sound like John when i say this....but i thought Australia was shit tbh.
Nath

28th May 12 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
I know I must sound like John when i say this....but i thought Australia was shit tbh.

And you live in Hull

Seriously though my mate came back early from Oz for the same reason. It's certainly not without it's problems.
stan_the_man

28th May 12 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was there for a month a few years back and absolutely loved it.
Dom

28th May 12 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are the issues? Apart from big fuck off spiders

[Edited on 28-05-2012 by Dom]
Liam-Wilko

28th May 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wish i had the opertunity mate i would grab it with both hand and be away
C2RL R

28th May 12 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not yet but I'm about to. Flights booked, visa sorted, off in August.
Marc

28th May 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

Seriously though my mate came back early from Oz for the same reason. It's certainly not without it's problems.

I can only talk about the 2 weeks I spent in Melbourne and Sydney:

Melbourne is lovely, the town centre is amongst the best I have visited. Stayed up in the hills and views are amazing. Belgrave is a really nice quiet suburb.

Sydney, bit hyped up for my liking. We stayed in St Peters which is very industrial. Bit of a trek in to the town centre and to be honest, its a bit smokey and grotty in the centre. so different from Melbourne, felt more like London and the people seemed different also.

The people we encountered were very polite and friendly, as an example someone bumped in to me in a bar and came back to apologise. In England you would be talking yourself out of a fight.

The downside - Very expensive, my mate earns $3000 a month so it is in keeping with his salary I suppose, but even he said things were expensive. Equivelant of £6 a pint!

I'm still off back!
Hammer

28th May 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heard both sides of the story from numerous people.

Put it this way, I've heard enough to know it isn't the paradise some people portray it to be. They don't have their problems to seek over there either.
Dom

28th May 12 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

Put it this way, I've heard enough to know it isn't the paradise some people portray it to be. They don't have their problems to seek over there either.

Such as?
Tiger

28th May 12 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

I can only talk about the 2 weeks I spent in Melbourne and Sydney:

Melbourne is lovely, the town centre is amongst the best I have visited. Stayed up in the hills and views are amazing. Belgrave is a really nice quiet suburb.

Sydney, bit hyped up for my liking. We stayed in St Peters which is very industrial. Bit of a trek in to the town centre and to be honest, its a bit smokey and grotty in the centre. so different from Melbourne, felt more like London and the people seemed different also.

The people we encountered were very polite and friendly, as an example someone bumped in to me in a bar and came back to apologise. In England you would be talking yourself out of a fight.

The downside - Very expensive, my mate earns $3000 a month so it is in keeping with his salary I suppose, but even he said things were expensive. Equivelant of £6 a pint!

I'm still off back!

If you dont like Australia..................................
Marc

28th May 12 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammer

28th May 12 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Such as?

Expensive, the majority of people have no manners, the climate only works in extremes, it's remoteness from anywhere, lack of tolerance for outsiders. All things I've been told from a few people that have made the move.

On the flipside my mates big brother has moved there and has had a kid (although he now wants to come home) and he has enjoyed it. He's a chartered accountant with a big 3 company though.
Marc

28th May 12 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Expensive, the majority of people have no manners, the climate only works in extremes, it's remoteness from anywhere, lack of tolerance for outsiders. All things I've been told from a few people that have made the move.

The things in bold I agree with!

As said, beer, dairy products strangely enough are very expensive. One minute the weather is fine, then it rains by the bucket load for 5 min before clearing up! Driving from Melbourne to the surrounding towns takes hours and there is nothing there when you arrive.

The things not in bold, I found the exact opposite. People very polite and friendly, everyone seemed very pleased to see tourists.
N3CRO

28th May 12 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do iiiiiit!
andys sxi
Premium Member

28th May 12 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a lad i went to college with he went over to australia on his own and joined up to some thing where people were in the same situation and he loves it, hes travelling all over the place with people hes met over there.

my next door neighbour has gone out there and traveling around, but i think shes moved on to new zeland now,

and a few of my cousins have done it aswell they all loved it

April 08 feature car
Sam
Premium Member

28th May 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother now lives in Melbourne (used to live in Sydney where I'm from), he says it's much nicer and cheaper there than Sydney - but it rains more there apparently

I'd say it costs the same as living in Britain TBH - but from all accounts you earn more money than in your equivalent British job.

People are generally friendly and polite out there, but some of the older generations can be assholes to English people etc. (the stereotypical 'pom' views).

On the whole though - quality of life and opportunities are better there than here.

Britain sucks big time TBH and I can't wait to go back to my real "home" some day.
Theham85

28th May 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am in Australia (Brisbane) this very minute!
Sam
Premium Member

28th May 12 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gold Coast FTW
Jas

28th May 12 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Gold Coast FTW
My dad lives there, lucky fuck

I did the whole 12 month, been twice.. it IS paradise IMO..

If I didn't have such a secure decent paid job with such opportunities I wouldn't be living in Wales.

I stayed in sydney for a month for xmas and new years then made my way slowly up to cairns.

then flying back down to sydney to work and get an apartment in darling harbour.

Best year of my life DO IT
Theham85

28th May 12 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Gold Coast FTW

Yeah, surfers paradise Hard Rock Cafe, nom nom nom!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 12 months in Australia - anyone done it? 23 database queries in 0.0110092 seconds