corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Applying for Jobs after University - Need some advice/guidance

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Applying for Jobs after University - Need some advice/guidance
Rob E

User status: Offline
31st May 12 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As of yesterday I finished Uni and its time to rejoin the real working world.

I have been looking at current job vacancies for the fields I am interested in and all adverts seem to state "the candidate will have x amount of years experience". As a new graduate, I don't have too much experience. Is it worth applying even if they are wanting experienced people?
Whittie

31st May 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slaters are recruiting again mate
Adam_B

You cant win the raffle if you don't buy a ticket.

Always worth applying imo.
Whittie

PS you have got experience, so they know you can stick a job out for 5+ years etc, so don't let that put you off. You've got a pretty decent CV mate
flybikeslee

31st May 12 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found the same when i left. took what i could. started on shit pay but I got my experience and i've been offered several other jobs in the time i've been here. it's a lot of who you know...rather that what you know. Take anything! get some contacts. then move up in the world!
Rob E

31st May 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at returning to slaters - its one of the reasons I went out to get a degree in the first place.

Lee- Thats the kind of situation I'm at now, I've worked on the shop floor spannering for numerous garages and race teams but now armed with my degree I want to move into the design and testing area of the products I have worked on.

I have some a couple of friends who have landed jobs in Jaguar Land Rover who have given my CV directly to their managers and one of them was apparently quite interested based on my final year study choice. However, it would be silly not to apply for more jobs.

noshua

31st May 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't/isn't there any graduate jobs you could've/can apply for?

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by noshua]
edd1.0

31st May 12 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

may aswell apply for all the jobs you can , it will also look good that you want to put ure degree to good use straight away , and i spose 3years or so at uni could sorta account for experience ?
neil h

31st May 12 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0
may aswell apply for all the jobs you can , it will also look good that you want to put ure degree to good use straight away and i spose 3years or so at uni could sorta account for experience ?

Ummmmmmmmm nope

To be honest as has been said already apply for as many jobs as possible. My lil brothers just finished a Chemistry degree and is applying for every job under the sun. Hasn't heard anything mind, the job markets still in a pretty bad way for post grads. Unless you've got the work experience to match.
edd1.0

31st May 12 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah my bad then , luckily im at uni , and also working part time in a field of work i could hopfully move up in once ive got a degree.
Rob E

31st May 12 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Automotive graduate schemes normally don't open until around September/October time. I put one in with JLR last year and I was one of about 15,000 applicants

My main goal this year was to pass my degree then focus on getting a job. However, your result normally depends on weather or not you can get on a grad scheme, they normally want a 2:1 or above. I am borderline 2:2/2:1 pending my exam results.
Rob E

31st May 12 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0
may aswell apply for all the jobs you can , it will also look good that you want to put ure degree to good use straight away and i spose 3years or so at uni could sorta account for experience ?

Ummmmmmmmm nope

To be honest as has been said already apply for as many jobs as possible. My lil brothers just finished a Chemistry degree and is applying for every job under the sun. Hasn't heard anything mind, the job markets still in a pretty bad way for post grads. Unless you've got the work experience to match.

Luckily there is quite a demand for engineers at the moment, I'm just putting together a covering letter now and then going to fire it off to lots of companies. Like Adam said, you cant win a raffle without buying a ticket!
noshua

31st May 12 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
Automotive graduate schemes normally don't open until around September/October time. I put one in with JLR last year and I was one of about 15,000 applicants

My main goal this year was to pass my degree then focus on getting a job. However, your result normally depends on weather or not you can get on a grad scheme, they normally want a 2:1 or above. I am borderline 2:2/2:1 pending my exam results.

Likewise, we were advised to apply before/around Christmas time. I was in the same situation as you, left it until late apart from a couple applications (rejected or already filled) but got lucky with the one I've landed with (late decision from the company, applications opened in April).
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

may be worth offering to work for free x days a week, get your name about and get a bit of experience (if you can afford to)
wish i had of done this when i graduated, but got a full time job straight away in an unrelated field so i could buy a house and now its been four years and have been unable to get back into the field i had my degree in so seems like i've wasted my time
Dan295

31st May 12 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob E

1st Jun 12 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How come you cant getback into your field Tom?

Dan, how did you exam go on wed? I got my mark back already and i did good

Ive had some good results today. A friend has enquired internally in Jag and ive joined an agency with hundereds of automotive jobs listed
Bart

1st Jun 12 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob,
100% worth applying, for 2 reasons;

1, you have nothing to loose
2, youd gain more experience of being interviewed.

I think if you walked into an interview, knowing you didnt meet their minimum specs, with a much more relaxed attitude treating it as a practice interview towards a job interview you were much more likely to get would actually be in your favor.
Xs

1st Jun 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graduate job market is pretty much a lottery. The amount of applications received these days means that even the best candidate can be over looked by the HR folk. Sometimes you can even be rejected on numbers, for example they get 200 applicants and only look at the first 1000.

My tip is to apply early and tailor your cover letter to each employer as much as you can.
Bart

1st Jun 12 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
Sometimes you can even be rejected on numbers, for example they get 200 applicants and only look at the first 1000.

You didnt take Maths by any chance?
A2H GO

1st Jun 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, no such thing as one CV nowadays. I have a different one for each job I've applied for that highlights my skills revelent to the specific criteria they're asking for. I've been successful in applying for jobs that specifially stated a degree was required without having one so I can't see why it wouldn't work the other way around in terms of not having experience.

[Edited on 01-06-2012 by A2H GO]
John

1st Jun 12 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a big reason the other way round.

Somebody with experience but no degree will be able to walk in and get to work, somebody with a degree and no experience probably won't.
A2H GO

1st Jun 12 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats why I couldn't be arsed to go to Uni.
Rob E

1st Jun 12 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've put a load out through a recruitment agency. I cant believe how many job offerings I have found

I also just found out I got highest mark in the class on one of my exams and it means I will be graduating with a 2:1 I'm absolutely over the moon right now!
Rob E

1st Jun 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
There's a big reason the other way round.

Somebody with experience but no degree will be able to walk in and get to work, somebody with a degree and no experience probably won't.

Thats all I've been told when working in the motorsport industry, its not what you know its who you know If I was to continue mechanicing I would be fine as I have a nice collection of contacts but now I want to head in a slightly different direction I just I can find an opportunity where I dont have to soulfully rely on someones recommendation
Xs

1st Jun 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:
Originally posted by Xs
Sometimes you can even be rejected on numbers, for example they get 200 applicants and only look at the first 1000.

You didnt take Maths by any chance?

Did you go into career in the spelling an grammar police? I missed a zero

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Applying for Jobs after University - Need some advice/guidance 22 database queries in 0.0186400 seconds