corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Those who are in the 40% tax bracket

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Those who are in the 40% tax bracket
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st May 12 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you do to minimise the cash you pay in 40% tax?

I've increased my company share incentive plan to the maximum of £125 a month, which the company matches. These are locked into the scheme for 5 years, after which they can be withdrawn tax & NI free.

What else do you do?

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Tim
Site Administrator

31st May 12 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much you can do unless you can go self-employed and stay within IR35?

I do the same with shares, BUPA, childcare vouchers, etc. It's very limited what you can claim against - even dental insurance isn't claimable...

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by Tim]
Gaz

31st May 12 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£34,371 - £150,000 salary... I wish!
Tim
Site Administrator

31st May 12 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair this isn't really limited to the 40% tax bracket
Ben J

31st May 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can hear Portfolio's being opened.
RichR
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 20:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

40% is above £42,500 isn't it not £34,371?
Gaz

31st May 12 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
40% is above £42,500 isn't it not £34,371?

I went off http://www.tax-calculators.co.uk/incometaxbands.html but misread it as there is a line further down suggesting: "In 2012/2013, most will start paying 20% tax at £8105 and 40% tax at £42475"
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meh our sharesave isn't pretax, but pension is... I should really get on board with the pension at some point.

Not much you can really do other than self employed I guess.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
cpcrampton

31st May 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The best possible thing to do, is put money into childcare vouchers if that is available to you, this is a tax free benifit. You can also increase the amount you pay into your pension even to the extent of dropping you out of the 40% bracket.

Or just take the hit. If you do not like it look into moving to a tax haven.

Ste
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't need childcare vouchers and my pension is set.

I've been taking the hit for years and already pay over 10k a year in tax and NI.

All I want is to put my money to better use.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
cpcrampton

31st May 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oopps

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by cpcrampton]
cpcrampton

31st May 12 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK here are the only ways you can avoid the 40% tax band legally:

Pay more into your pension

Any contributions you make into your pension are deducted from your salary before you are taxed. It reduces your taxable salary.

So if you earn £43,000 a year and contribute 5 per cent of this (£2,150) to your pension, then you taxable salary is just £40,898. This is safely below the higher rate tax limit.

But if your salary is £44,000 and you contribute 5 per cent of this (£2,200) to your pension, then your taxable salary is £41,800. As the higher rate will now cut in at £41,450, you’ll be paying 40 per cent tax on your top £350 of income.

You can avoid paying this by paying a little bit more into your pension, although this will leave you with less spending money each month.

Use your ISA allowance

Any interest you receive in normal accounts is taxable. So if you earn £41,000 a year and received £500 in interest before tax you would automatically become a higher rate tax payer.

You can avoid this by using your ISA allowance. The income on ISAs is tax free and does not need to be declared on tax self-assessment forms.

You can put £10,680 into ISAs this year (until April 4 2013) with up to half of it, £5,340, can go into a cash ISA. Find out more with This is Money's five favourite best buy cash Isas for 2013

Give money to charity

As a higher rate taxpayer, both you and the charity benefit from Gift aid donations. For every £100 you give, the charity receives £125 and you can claim £25 against your tax bill.

Childcare vouchers

Childcare vouchers made available through employers let parents save money on nursery and child-minding costs for offspring up to the age of 15. They are a completely legal way of sacrificing your salary.

The vouchers can be used to pay for all or part of the costs of a registered childcare provider and are worth around £1,000 a year for those starting today or around £2,900 for those who were already signed up before last April.

And finally ... set yourself up as a business

This option isn’t one for everyone. In fact, the costs of doing it would probably outweigh the benefits for those near the threshold. But we thought it was worth flagging in case your earnings suddenly took off and you're in an industry where it might work.

It involves setting yourself up as a director of your own limited company. You must them negotiate a contract, legally, with your employer where they will pay your salary to the ‘company’ incurring 20 per cent corporation tax.

You can then take income out of the company as dividends thereby avoiding income tax and national insurance - worth another 12 per cent up to that same threshold of around £42,000.

There are various other processes to complete but the outcome is that you will avoid paying the higher rate of tax. The downside is that when you want to access cash, typically after several years, you will need to wind up the company and take the money out.

This means that you must have savings to fall back on in terms of disposable income.

MarkM

31st May 12 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got BUPA and other bits and bobs to bring it down.

Setting up myself as a company looks very appealing although it'd be an interesting conversation to negotiate a contract with my existing employers.
djgritt
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not even considered trying to reduce my 40% taxable...

But I have increased my Pension contributions since the start of this financial year, so that might help for this year. But not as a way to minimise tax... Just as my Scheme has changed.

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by djgritt]
AK

1st Jun 12 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate paying tax

Ben J

1st Jun 12 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

End of the day, i'm happy that I earn £130k a year so am happy to take the hit on tax tbh.
Nath

1st Jun 12 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
End of the day, i'm happy that I earn £130k a year so am happy to take the hit on tax tbh.

Alright James calm down.
All Torque

1st Jun 12 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pow
Premium Member

1st Jun 12 at 07:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WILLY. WAVING.
Warren G

1st Jun 12 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I barely make the 20% bracket
Whittie

1st Jun 12 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G

Good job there isn't a foreigner bracket
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

1st Jun 12 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

A2H GO

1st Jun 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:

Good job there isn't a foreigner bracket

Gary
Premium Member

1st Jun 12 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
WILLY. WAVING.
Hammer

1st Jun 12 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Don't need childcare vouchers and my pension is set.

I've been taking the hit for years and already pay over 10k a year in tax and NI.

All I want is to put my money to better use.

It's not yours, it's her majestys. Pay your taxes mate.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Those who are in the 40% tax bracket 23 database queries in 0.0165601 seconds