corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Towing Regulations: Fuel

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Towing Regulations: Fuel
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Jun 12 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Specifically thinking about towing a boat with massive fuel tanks but this could cover race cars on trailers too.

Is there a limit as to how much fuel can be on board the trailer whilst being towed?
RichR
Premium Member

11th Jun 12 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in this case its diesel but interetsed for petrol too as the websites I'm finding are quite contradictary
scottyp1989

11th Jun 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would of thought there would be a limit but not sure what, also i know if you are using red diesel in boats it cant be left in the tanks while towing, it has to be carried in jerry cans/drum etc
craig8
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The most we can carry in a bowser at work is 950 litres, not sure if that's down to the law or not though
Not sure why you would have to take red out the tanks if its on a trailer? It's not like we have to do it with any of the railway stuff and have never done it with construction machines so I don't see it being different for them

E36 328
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jun 12 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how much and for what purpose -

http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/index.htm

Define massive
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jun 12 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by craig8
The most we can carry in a bowser at work is 950 litres, not sure if that's down to the law or not though

Probably related to ADR, that has a 1000 litre limit before you need certification for the driver.
scottyp1989

12th Jun 12 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Not sure why you would have to take red out the tanks if its on a trailer? It's not like we have to do it with any of the railway stuff and have never done it with construction machines so I don't see it being different for them

Not to sure tbh thats what iv always been told, could all be made up tho
Bonney

12th Jun 12 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Probably related to ADR, that has a 1000 litre limit before you need certification for the driver.

Also weight is an issue. 950 Litres of liquid is going to be quite heavy!
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jun 12 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrol and diesel are both lighter than water so about 700 and 850kg respectively. So long as that's baffled properly that's not too much of a worry.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Twin 550litre tanks plus any fuel in fillers, pipe work or engine so somewhere between 935kg and 1000kg total fuel mass. It's a government agency boat and pulled on a custom trailer by an American pick up with an 8,500kg towing capacity. The weight isn't an issue from the trainwas ught perspective, it's that I'm trying to find a way of reducing the train weight below 3,500kg so it's not limited as to what can tow it and I'm not that far off-if there's a limit as to how much fuel can be drawn, then I might be able to blag it on the basis of being under 3,500kg in the allowable fuel condition

[Edited on 12-06-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jun 12 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want 3.5t train or just that trailer?

Also 935kg is probably over 1000 litres? Specific gravities are 737.22 for petrol and between 810 and 960 for diesel, if that's commercial (guessing so) then driver needs ADR.

Also needs a tacho if the train is over 3.5t and its commercial so you're limited on that basis as well.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't worry about the legalities particularly, it's a government agency, if anything theyre a department who are probably above the law but I can assure everything will be in order from that perspective. The train weight of 3,500kg includes the custom (lightweight) trailer. This isn't something they've requested, it's just that I'm so close to the 3,500kg that it could be achievable if the fuel level can be restricted because of regulations as opposed to me just saying so
RichR
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The tender gives the fuel density as SG850 so that's a given in this circumstance
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jun 12 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Train includes the tow vehicle at 3.5t? Seems very light for something that needs that much fuel

You mean you want to stay under 3.5t and you want to do so by restricting the fuel levels?

1000 probably becomes prohibitive because of the ADR qual but you've also additional obligations at 333 litres, namely signs and fire extinguishers, its in that link.

Also read here that >333 for petrol requires ADR

http://www.rix.co.uk/documents/content/files/storage_of_fuel.pdf

That would get right in the way.
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jun 12 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
The tender gives the fuel density as SG850 so that's a given in this circumstance

So between 1100 and 1176 litres, deffo don't want that.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm incorrectly referencing train weight; I mean the trailer plus boat in its laden condition i.e. the towed weight, I'm not including the vehicle weight. In other words, I'm trying to bring the trailer, boat, fuel and safety equipment down to below 3,500kg so the client isn't restricted to towing only with the tonka truck as they term it when a defender or disco would suffice

[Edited on 12-06-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jun 12 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now I'm with it.

3.5t would give you more tow vehicles but they'll still need tachos and a driver with +E

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Towing Regulations: Fuel 23 database queries in 0.0142071 seconds