corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Speed camera van question time

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speed camera van question time
sc0ott

User status: Offline
15th Jun 12 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driving along on a 70mph 'A' road/motorway and youre coming up to a temporary section which has temp 40mph signs for about half a mile before you reach the first average speed camera.

Say there is a speed camera van sitting between the first 40mph sign and the first average speed camera and you drive into that 40mph zone whilst reducing your speed, will you be fined / awarded points for doing say 60 in the 40 or will the camera be pointing in the 70mph section?

Also, can the camera vans catch you speeding in both the 70mph and the 40mph zones at the same time?
Whittie

15th Jun 12 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been caught by average ones, and static vans. So any input I have is useless, other than, "they work".
DaveyLC

15th Jun 12 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got done by a van in a temporary 40 limit on a 70.. I didnt even notice when I got the ticket I drove to the palce to see how the hell I'd been caught out.

Lesson learned
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

15th Jun 12 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just do 30. No matter where they are. Annoys people behind if its clearly not a 30 zone but hey..I learnt the hard way.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
djgritt
Premium Member

15th Jun 12 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 40mph will be the speed from the posted sign (provided they are not 'countdown' to 40 signs), if you are doing more after those first signs, you are classed as speeding
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont mind doing the limit, but they cant expect drivers to emergency stop to 40 in a 70 zone before the enter the 40, otherwise theyll be caught.

The 40 starts way before you reach the road works and average cams so you could look at that area as a 'reducing your speed to 40 from 70' zone, but if theyre going to stick cams so that you have to brake down to 40 long before you reach the sign clearly they are taking the piss.
Ben G

15th Jun 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the 40 sign was in a red circle then its enforcable. You should be slowing to 40mph before the first sign (still on 70mph road).
smcGSI16V

15th Jun 12 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
If the 40 sign was in a red circle then its enforcable. You should be slowing to 40mph before the first sign (still on 70mph road).

correct.
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the principle of it, and if thats the case theyre clearly not out there to make the roads safer considering there is no need for the 40 zone to be that far back. Obviously wanting to catch those slowing down to the 40.

How long does it normally take for a letter to arrive?
Corsa_Sport21

15th Jun 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This at Dunfermline??
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, heading towards the bridge
Corsa_Sport21

15th Jun 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there no a sign that says 40mph zone in 2 miles?? Which would be where the average speed camera's start??
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na, just a 40 sign about half a mile before the first camera/road works. Think theres signs for average cams but thats it.

Fair enough if they are enforcable but as soon as you see the signs you cant know exactly how long or far its going to take you to reduce down to the 40 unless you slam on the brakes. There are no signs to say 40 zone in so many yards etc.
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a number i can phone to ask?
Ben G

15th Jun 12 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Its the principle of it, and if thats the case theyre clearly not out there to make the roads safer considering there is no need for the 40 zone to be that far back. Obviously wanting to catch those slowing down to the 40.

How long does it normally take for a letter to arrive?

Completely agree with you mate but unfortunately they are cunts out to get target numbers.
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The location of the talivan isnt even on their list either,

http://www.fifesafetycameras.org/minisites/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&pageid=5571A7EE-E7FE-C7EA-0A9677F21EB60A6E&siteID=5532C540-E7FE-C7EA-0BCA29284451CFB6

neil h

15th Jun 12 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Fair enough if they are enforcable but as soon as you see the signs you cant know exactly how long or far its going to take you to reduce down to the 40 unless you slam on the brakes. There are no signs to say 40 zone in so many yards etc.

But as Ben already said, you should be doing 40mph by the time you reach the sign.
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:

But as Ben already said, you should be doing 40mph by the time you reach the sign.

Maybe so, but having a 70mph and then all of a sudden theres a 40 sign with a talivan waiting 600 yards down the road is a bit extreme.

That to me says cars are more likely to slam on their brakes when the see the speed van so that they dont cross the 40 sign doing over 40.

If they were to make the roads safer and not tally up their figures they would have warning signs of the speed ahead, like what they do with lane closers. They give you notice and time to react, which is safer.
Ben G

15th Jun 12 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about roads that go from 40 to 60 or 40 to 30 though?
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait until i get to the sign and speed up, and when i get near the sign i let off the gas which reduced the speed quite quickly.
Ben G

15th Jun 12 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same as you should do when it goes from 70 to 40 then.

should look ahead of the car infront.

[Edited on 15-06-2012 by Ben G]
sc0ott

15th Jun 12 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which is what i done, let off the gas as i came up to the 40 which reduced my speed.

dcp1

16th Jun 12 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi I work for the highways agency and you will be fined coming up to the 40 as they are tracking you from the 70 mph.
Dcp1
sc0ott

16th Jun 12 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What part do you work for?
corsadonk
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You really need to read the Highway code!

I very much doubt that his 40mph sign isn't visible from say 1/2 a mile away, giving you more than enough time to slow from 70 to 40. It's no different going from say a 60 on A road to 30 into a town or village.

Now don't get me wrong I've do some pretty high speeds, on the road. But I'm always carefull look well ahead, and judge the conditions.

Also try spending half an hour in road works, you might change how you drive, around them it ain't very nice.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Speed camera van question time 23 database queries in 0.0167480 seconds