corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would an unused car from 1999 be as new?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Would an unused car from 1999 be as new?
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Jul 12 at 07:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just saw a 1999 Ford Puma advertised as brand new. It has done 492 kilometers since new. No idea what the story behind it is.

I have no interest in buying it, but I can't help but wonder if a car that has been parked for 13 years could be said to be as new. Obviously brakes and tyres need replacing, bur how will everything else cope?

Few pics of the underside:

Steve
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lots of stuff will perish. seals, gaskets, bushes etc etc

[Edited on 07-07-2012 by Steve]
Ben J

7th Jul 12 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve will be wanking over those pics.
Ben J

7th Jul 12 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As if by magic...here he is!!!
Ben G

7th Jul 12 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian will be all over that shit.
alan-g-w

7th Jul 12 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
lots of stuff will perish. seals, gaskets, bushes etc etc

You've got no idea about how it's been stored, whether it's been kept in a heated carpeted garage or just left in a shed on a concrete floor would make a world of difference. I'd say it's been the first of those two just going by those pics so there's a good chance that all the perishables are still in pretty good nick if you ask me.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what? you can tell how its been stored by a couple of underbody shots lol? you are contradicting yourself with what you are accusing me of! assumption!

For a start the tyres will need replacing regardless, if they are still the originals, and rubber will harden/crack/go brittle over time regardless where its kept.

If its not been started for ages fuel will need draining and flushing out, you also wouldnt want to just start it, a few turns of the crank with a spanner to get the pistons moving in the bores again

Coolant will need a full empty flush and replace, and probably an oil change aswell

Inpsection of bushes would be advisable, and when you have done all that you will need a good close check over the car whilst its running for leaks, mainly coolant related stuff, hoses, thermostat housing etc the gasket is shit on that the best of times.

Waterpump, impellors are plastic and shit, years sat in coolant will have perished them and gone brittle, i imagine soon after use they would break off.

Cambelt, will need replacing along with tensioners and drivebelt as its past its 10 years recommended

Brake fluid will need full flush and replace

anyways i cant see anyone wanting to keep a bog standard puma in a heated carpetted garage tbh, its not a supercar

To answer the OP question, no it cant be called brand new, its had an owner and for a start its done miles, and secondly regardless of how many miles its done its 13 years old lol

3i_gaz

7th Jul 12 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
what? you can tell how its been stored by a couple of underbody shots lol? you are contradicting yourself with what you are accusing me of! assumption!

For a start the tyres will need replacing regardless, if they are still the originals, and rubber will harden/crack/go brittle over time regardless where its kept.

If its not been started for ages fuel will need draining and flushing out, you also wouldnt want to just start it, a few turns of the crank with a spanner to get the pistons moving in the bores again

Coolant will need a full empty flush and replace, and probably an oil change aswell

Inpsection of bushes would be advisable, and when you have done all that you will need a good close check over the car whilst its running for leaks, mainly coolant related stuff, hoses, thermostat housing etc the gasket is shit on that the best of times.

Waterpump, impellors are plastic and shit, years sat in coolant will have perished them and gone brittle, i imagine soon after use they would break off.

Cambelt, will need replacing along with tensioners and drivebelt as its past its 10 years recommended

Brake fluid will need full flush and replace

anyways i cant see anyone wanting to keep a bog standard puma in a heated carpetted garage tbh, its not a supercar

To answer the OP question, no it cant be called brand new, its had an owner and for a start its done miles, and secondly regardless of how many miles its done its 13 years old lol

Not as if someone is going to buy the thing to drive though is it?

Will go into some more heated storage and be trailered to and from shows.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 08:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno, id agree if it was something special, but its only a puma lol not sure anyones going to really that interested?

i think the best place for it would be a ford heritage place or something. would be worth storing if it was an FRP
alan-g-w

7th Jul 12 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could not be arsed reading all that gumph Steve but basically you said it as fact whereas I said it as opinion.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably been for sale since 1999 and no one's wanted to buy it tbh...

sc0ott

7th Jul 12 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inb4thetrackdaycomments
Jambo

7th Jul 12 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking conveyerbelts everywhere
LeeM

7th Jul 12 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
I could not be arsed reading all that gumph Steve but basically you said it as fact whereas I said it as opinion.

It pains me to say it, but he's right this time.
Root

7th Jul 12 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w

Colin

7th Jul 12 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gonna be hard to get much for that tbh, cant imagine there being a massive market for as new puma's.

Nice to see though, wonder why it was dry stored all those years!?
Gary
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Link to advert?
Ben G

7th Jul 12 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it can't be new simply based on it having 492 km's on it. as soon as it's done 1 mile, it isn't new anymore. same applies here.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Link to advert?

http://www.bilbasen.dk/brugt/bil/ford/puma/17-ti-vct-coup/1219219

Let me know if you need anything translated...

Colin

7th Jul 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that almost 16,000 pounds sterling?

LOL
Colin

7th Jul 12 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

149,900.00 DKK = 15,939.62 GBP

I was thinking they might get 5k for it if they find someone that really wants a 1999 Ford Puma.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Is that almost 16,000 pounds sterling?

LOL

Remember, that includes local tax. We have massive 180% taxes on cars over here.

Without tax it's more like £ 5,800... Cheap!

Balling
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, that includes VAT as well, so if it was exported it would only be £ 4,600...

Gary
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

180% tax
Balling
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
180% tax

Brand new M3 coupé is £ 165,000. Not a very common car over here...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Would an unused car from 1999 be as new? 23 database queries in 0.0180299 seconds