corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help with 96 Primera

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help with 96 Primera
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
7th Jul 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car's recently developed a couple of faults I think may be related. The car is a 96 1.6 16v Primera and was totally fine, I think, until I had to jump start the car on a couple of occasions. The first thing is that all interior dash lights don't work i.e. heater, spedo, headlight adjustment etc., everything dark. The second thing is that my rear tail lights don't come on with my headlights. Both my dipped and main beam work perfectly well but the tail lights don't come on. But my brake lights, which use the same double filament bulb as the tail lights, work perfectly well. My first thought was a fuse but the tail lights or dash lights aren't featured on the wee map, so I'm a bit stumped just now. I'm going to have a google but thought I'd stick this up on the off chance someone's had the same problem
Corsa_Sport21

7th Jul 12 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you actually checked all the fuses 1 by 1??

I had that on a car before, the fuse that was for the things that weren't working was fine, but another that seemed totally un-related had blown. Changed it and job done.
alan-g-w

7th Jul 12 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've since found out there are 2 more fuse boxes in the engine so need to check that, think that's where it is anyway
alan-g-w

7th Jul 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found the fuse, replaced it and it blew straight away. Thinking I've got a bare wire somewhere or something like that so it's wiring fault finding fun in store by the looks of it
Root

7th Jul 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Found the fuse, replaced it and it blew straight away. Thinking I've got a bare wire somewhere or something like that so it's wiring fault finding fun in store by the looks of it

In that case, it sounds like you replaced it with a fuse that is not capable of carrying the current, try a bigger fuse. Unless you know for certain that the fuse size you put in should be adequate for the current.

I'd be looking for loose earth connections, it sounds like you have a can of worms on your hands
alan-g-w

9th Jul 12 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was a 10A fuse that was in and it's worked for the 9 months I've had the car and god knows how many years before - upping fuse ratings is a good way to go about starting fires tbh

I think it's linked to having jump started it whether a surge has knocked something out. I know fuck all about electics unfortunately so as you say mate all I'm doing is checking for bare wires or loose earths, I suspect that something has been melted though.

One thing to note is that the lights do come on for a second before the fuse blows - don't know if this is significant in any way though? Means that the circuit's still complete anyway by my reckoning

New Poll