corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Aprilia RS125's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Aprilia RS125's
Bonney

User status: Offline
8th Jul 12 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who on here has had one?

Just looking at one for a little project, fancy an old 2 stroke to have a mess around with, they seem to have a lot more parts both aftermarket and OE available so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just wandering about the problems they have and what upgrades and things can be done with them, One i'm looking at has fairing damage so would be changing the colours to something a bit different, Just unsure what yet!
LeeM

8th Jul 12 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I know is they can get up to around 30bhp with barely any mods, but pistons can suffer at that power if you keep the revs too high for long runs
reecegsi

8th Jul 12 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had one a full power 33bhp one with full exhaust and end can big carb and filter and usual mods went well for what it was but make sure there warmed up properly thoe as are very tempremental but go very well problems are eat pistons and head gaskets make sure fluid in box is changed regualary as could be expensive if damaged there other ones on the market thoe like mx 125 same engine but super moto version,also dt125 all geared but best i had was my nrg 172 which was faster all round then any geared 125's! Which was proved to my mates who owned the ones above
colonel_g

8th Jul 12 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a full power extrema. would hit 110 full throttle. very nice handling bike. As said, they have a bit of a habbit of eating pistons if not warmed up before any sort of ragging, however, pistons are dirt cheap and fairly easy to replace
midlandvauxhalls

8th Jul 12 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its full power 33bhp dont bother trying to get more power, there pretty much on the limits at that, thats coming from past experiances, i bought 1 brand new before i passed my car test, spent silly money trying to get it quicker, in the end the 1 mod that made the most differance and also the cheapest was messing around with sprocket sizes!
you can get 150cc big bore kits, but not tried 1 myself or know anyone who has
Mr-SEH

8th Jul 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get your self a gilera runner 125 and put a 172 kit on it you will have a blast! Best 2stroke mopeds ever.
oba-corsa
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing up a Aprilia rs125 full power dog now for a student

List up to now

Replacement bore
New piston and rings
Little end bearing and pin
Full gasket set
Power valve blade
New carburettor manifold rubber
Crank shaft bearings and seals

Replacement gear leaver bracket
2 front handle bars and bolts

And all I can say I can’t wait for the thing to be finished and out of my life!
Bonney

8th Jul 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a Runner before, Not really keen on scooters anymore, Had a ride on one a few months back when I thought of buying one and didn't feel safe on it!

Not really looking to make it to be more unreliable than they are, As long as it rides well and doesn't look too tatty!

Is there any way of telling the un restricted ones fom the restricted ones, Or is it just a case of getting on it and riding it.
oba-corsa
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

power valve fitted
34mm carburettor

[Edited on 08-07-2012 by Jason T]
oba-corsa
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bonney i had a HONDA VFR400RR VFR 400 NC24 and for what it was i thought it was Pleasant and more reliable and easier to modify

And the vfr 400 NC30 are less £££££ if you want keep cost down.
Also you can get Tyga fairings to update the looks.

[Edited on 08-07-2012 by Jason T]
Bonney

8th Jul 12 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a look at them too, Only thing is they are going up in value and its hard to find one that is in one peice and that is worth doing up.

Was offered a CBR 400 not long back in the smoking joes colours that just needed a bit of a tidy up, What put me off was the high price of the parts that were needed even second hand ones wern't too far behind new ones!
Ojc

8th Jul 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why modify them? They are 2 stroke on the limit. Reliable bikes if looked after.
oba-corsa
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know but from looking at this rs125 this lads got in my class and how they eat parts you soon be thinking the vfr400 parts don't look bad.

and if i was going down the aprilia road i would go for the rs250
corsadonk
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only issue with two strokes is not letting them warm up before you ride it. I know they're very rare but have you looked at the later Mito. Handle much better than the RS. Well mine did compared to my mate's Chesterfield.
Bonney

8th Jul 12 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have, Only thing with them parts are harder to come across, with the aprilia spares are easily sourced.
corsadonk
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough. My starter motor broke, and it took ages for a new one to come under warrenty, from the factory.

The dealer I bought it off, wanted to fit a 250 into one.
p

8th Jul 12 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to tear about on a 50 back in the day, and a few buddies of mine had 125 RS' - really fun, really enjoyable, especially in the 'summer.'
Root

8th Jul 12 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Expensive bike, expensive parts, most have been riden to abuse and because of their high performance, they regularly need the engine rebuilding or parts replacing.

Personally I'd try to find something more reliable if I was splashing the cash, but I'm sure they're amazing fun when they're not being rebuilt
Bonney

8th Jul 12 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't mind if it has been screwed around, As long as it can be rebuilt and tidy'd up. Would do it all myself, Bit of a long term project really.

jimmy 2.1

8th Jul 12 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One piece of advice.... always always buy genuine gaskets, pistons etc etc for them. I've learnt the hard way with my RS250!
bally2010
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate had an rs blew up twice in a month

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Aprilia RS125's 22 database queries in 0.0148759 seconds