corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PC Help
corsa-sxi

User status: Offline
10th Jul 12 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been hanging onto my old PC for a very long time now, its survived 10 years service runs an AMD athlon XP 2000+ processor and 512MB ram (yes that's right) with an 80GB HDD

Recentlly it's been blue screening alot when watching Iplayer/4OD etc or any sort of DVD even Youtube
Also it seems to freeze and make a repetitive screeching noise from the speakers.

So I think it's time I upgrade, a mate of mine has offered to build me a system, he know what's good and not and been into computers for a long time, he recently upgraded his system at a cost of £2.5k so I think he's more qualified than me...

Anyway he came up with this spec as my brief was it to be reasonable and relatively future proof

Comes to about £650 excluding operating system

He said he can cut the cost by removing the SSD and the heatsink, but I'm better of overclocking the i5 for better performance?

Alternatively I can go to PC world or Dell and buy one off the shelf..

My PC is only for browsing, occasional word processing, DVD's and TV catchup services.

[Edited on 10-07-2012 by corsa-sxi]

[Edited on 10-07-2012 by corsa-sxi]
Dom

10th Jul 12 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems a bit overkill, especially overclocking, for a system that's mostly going to still at idle and not really be hammered (ie: gaming or heavy processing for video/graphics/audio). And looking at that spec you could easily shave a few hundred off just by removing the ssd, half the ram and replacing the motherboard and processor (could even go for a i3 Sandybridge).

And Overclockers isn't the cheapest of places; granted you can sometimes pick up reasonable priced parts when they have sales but i'd be looking at Scan/Dabs/eBuyer/Microdirect (with Scan, you use to be able to get free delivery if you signed up to the Hexus forums; saved me around £20 when i built my system a while ago).

Might also be worth seeing what you can pick up from (directly) Dell/HP; at least then you get a warranty/OS/support etc.

[Edited on 10-07-2012 by Dom]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th Jul 12 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pre-built system may fit the bill, with warranty as Dom said, HP do a 3 year collect from site package I think, might only be for business though.

Dell, well they can do a system but I'd rather shave my armpits then buy a dell box.

Dom is spot on the money btw, for what you want to do you don't need half that shit.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Jul 12 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Dell, well they can do a system but I'd rather shave my armpits then buy a dell box.

John will disapprove of your reply TBH.
Dom

10th Jul 12 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbf i've never had any issues with Dells or HPs. Although they have a habit of not sticking with standard forms for parts, so the upgrade path is pretty limited.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Jul 12 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Despite me not being a fan of HP laptop build quality (as you know ) I have to say their desktops aren't too bad.

I quite liked the older Compaq Evos from years ago, proper workhorses them
corsa-sxi

10th Jul 12 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies, I know there are options to for for a much much lower spec model, but would those be capable of playing games etc? I might be tempted to start a few games etc.
Dom

10th Jul 12 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-sxi
Thanks for the replies, I know there are options to for for a much much lower spec model, but would those be capable of playing games etc? I might be tempted to start a few games etc.

Depends on what games, although even with your spec you'd ideally want a dedicated graphics card rather than one on the CPU/Motherboard. Either way you could still loose the SSD and go for a cheaper board and i suppose the money you save here could get you a reasonable graphics card.

Bottom line - for your original purpose in the OP then you could save a fair chunk of cash, for gaming then you'd swap out some parts to gain a dedicated graphics card.
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jul 12 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could probably build you a PC to that spec you posted a screenshot of for the same or less money and with a 12 month warranty too.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PC Help 24 database queries in 0.0074220 seconds