corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » External fuel tanks

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author External fuel tanks
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Aug 12 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a hole currently in my oe tank £360 from renualt so I thought it may be the opportunity to go external tank and pumps but I have no idea where to start.

Guessing tank,pump and lines will I need a swirl pot etc?

Fuel pressure is that done by the rail or do I go to as near standard as possible?!

Any help would be appreciated as I will be buying it all on Monday and fitting it that day in hope to get to the track day I have booked Tuesday!!
Steve
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 16:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt, as said previously to one of your posts, your going to mess with the cars weight balance quite a lot.

Assume you would put it in the boot or somewhere, terrible place for all that weight to be, especially when the OE unit is in the perfect location
Robin
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oe unit won't be in the perfect location or weight, just the lest comprimised position for packaging of the whole car.

[Edited on 18-08-2012 by Robin]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well currently it's in the middle of the car before the rear axel. It can go in the wheel well or I can have a flat floor. A lot of impreza's etc have them in the boot so I don't know.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 16:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Oe unit won't be in the perfect location or weight, just the lest comprimised position for packaging of the whole car.

[Edited on 18-08-2012 by Robin]

yeah, agreed, but it has to be there lol, so the current spot is the best.

if you can get some sort of flat thing that fits as close to the center and low as possible then i cant see why that wouldnt be any good, but tbh iv no idea whats out there
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 16:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These seems ok

Width: 420mm
Length: 420mm
Height 270mm

40litre foam filled
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 16:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But what I need to know is how does it all go together
dewismotorsport

18th Aug 12 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd leave the tank in the standard location in theory you want the centre of gravity as low and as central as possible for your car to handle well, not sure on how much a Renault tank holds but say 40-60L that's 40-60kg which is heavy so last place I'd put that is behind the rear beam
AK

18th Aug 12 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use standard rail and fpr (return line).

If using swirl pot....

fit a new tank.... run a pumped feed from tank to swirl pot TOP (facet pump for example)

Then run an external pump (bosch 044 if you like noise and planning POWER!) from the swirl pot to the rail feed.

Run a line from FPR to swirl pot top

Then run a drain line from top of swirl pot to tank return line.

IF NO SWIRL POT

Feed from tank (if external pump) to pump, from pump to rail feed.

The run return from FPR to top of tank / return fitting.

\--------------------------------

Swapping over to a non standard tank isnt a big job, but not small either.

I bought two tanks (45l JAZ cells) BUT only fitted 1 to the GTR after a good look round the Impreza.

The GTR had its fuel tank directly under the boot floor behind the rear axle... bad distribution but low. 80l tank too, so lots of sloshing if not running full.

The impreza runs a sadle tank infront of the rear axle... 45l... so I left it and fitted a small swirl pot and external pump.

In tann pumps dont need to be mega sized.... the wont be under pressure if they are feeind a swirl pot, so no need to go crazy speccing them.

[Edited on 18-08-2012 by AK]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmmm just been measuring and I can fit an alloy tank in the same location. So I'm going to do that 40l alloy tank and fuel pump. Just need to find the pressure the megane works at!!
Steve
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

The impreza runs a sadle tank infront of the rear axle... 45l... so I left it and fitted a small swirl pot and external pump.

think im going to go down this route

where did you fit the swirl tank?
AK

18th Aug 12 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Hmmmm just been measuring and I can fit an alloy tank in the same location. So I'm going to do that 40l alloy tank and fuel pump. Just need to find the pressure the megane works at!!

why do you need to know presure?
AK

18th Aug 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by AK

think im going to go down this route

where did you fit the swirl tank?

In the boot...

will see it I have any pics...

Its up near the firewall basically above the rear axle, near the acess panel for the standard tank
Steve
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuel lines inside the car?
AK

18th Aug 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some tank pics blah blah

impreza... not sure why its there will shorten those pipes and move it fwd

AK

18th Aug 12 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GTR has 3 lines..... 2x feed and 1 return - ALL external on the underside

Impreza uses standard hard fuel lines - Internal
Steve
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just thought my fuel pump sits in the top of my tank so could I run a swirl pot off standard tank and pump?
AK

18th Aug 12 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need another pump for the swirl pot (in line) to rail, but yes..... thats how my Impreza is set up.

The OE tank pump is no longer underpressure and feeds the pot.... the pump off the pot feeds the rail. Return from rail to pot, drian from pot to tank.

In last pic... 3 lines at the top (feed from OE tank, return from rail, drain to OE tank), 1 line at base - feed to rail

[Edited on 18-08-2012 by AK]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

why do you need to know presure?

So what gives the pressure not to clued up on fueling. Does the fuel rail set the pressure or does the pump just pump at a constant etc.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to have a firewall really won't I, if it goes in the boot?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Just thought my fuel pump sits in the top of my tank so could I run a swirl pot off standard tank and pump?

Picture on here

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3wd9k-mustang-v6-an-intank-upgraded-fuel-pump-inline-booster-voltage.html
AK

18th Aug 12 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the FPR... that normally sits at the end of the fuel rail (in return) so the pump 'pushes' against it to build pressure. There are other sets ups so dont know what yours is
AK

18th Aug 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VRSTurbo - that pics explain it well, just think of the 'low pressure' pump as your OW intank pump (if you were doing a swirl pot on a standard tank)

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently the megane doesn't have a return system the rail only has a fuel pipe on one side.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 12 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you can see on this link only a single line going to the rail.

http://www.meganesport.net/Injectors.htm

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » External fuel tanks 22 database queries in 0.0168550 seconds