corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres v Summer v All Season

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter Tyres v Summer v All Season
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 12 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to change two tyres on my wifes micra 04 plate, on the front. 175/60.15. rears have a bit of life left in them however they are an all season tyre (hankook). However its getting on for september so was wondering if i should get some winter tyres

Do i

a. get two winter tyres for the front, and replace the rears when needed
b. get four winter tyres even though there's still tread left on the rears
c. get an all season tyre for the rear, however it will be a different brand/type as they don't make the ones anymore that are already on there

Also can you carry on using winter tyres once summer starts as don't do massive mileage and don't really want to have to get another set of alloys/swop tyres after 6 months?

Cheers
corsadonk
Premium Member

23rd Aug 12 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a spare set of wheels with winter tyres for my daily Corsa. I'll be swapping them over October time. But it's too early to be fitting them at the moment. Why not some all season tyres and some snow socks?
Rich H

23rd Aug 12 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I swear I read somewhere (may have been an Auto Express test or something) that overall it's regarded that in this country running Winter tyres all year round is actually better than running Summer tyres all year round.

Finding all season ones seems to be reasonably tricky, and decent brand ones are quite expensive.

I've had this with my van recently which was fitted with Bridgestone all weather ones, I've now fitted Uniroyal Rain Experts and will be getting some Winter ones shortly too to swap over when required as it worked out cheaper that way
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Aug 12 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read at some point, that as a rule of thumb the point where winter tyres have better grip is at 8°C and below (road temperature).

Tom J
Premium Member

23rd Aug 12 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because of living quite remotely aswell i do want something which will be decent in the winter conditions
SXi_Tim

23rd Aug 12 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a set of winters on mine last Oct, best thing I ever did when it was snowing etc, didn't get stuck once went up any icy/snowy hill etc. They are still on the car now and are fine, grip maybe reduced in warm weather as they are designed for temps under 7°C but overall I would recommend them, going to put these on the back soon and get a fresh set of Dunlop winter 4Ds on the front for the winter.
Dave

23rd Aug 12 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Similar here, I stuck a set of part worn winters on the van in October, decided to get in early before the prices went mental. Despite a pretty mild winter they are still on now and have plenty of tread left, might get this winter out of them too if I'm lucky.

Also haven't noticed them being any worse than normal tyres in dry/warm conditions. They probably are but I don't drive the van hard so they do the job just fine.
tom130691
Premium Member

23rd Aug 12 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

proxie t1rs all year round,

not great in snow but more than good enough rest of the time,

they out lasted the winter tyres i had when i first got the car too, winter tyres were great in snow shit everwhere else and i did a set in 9000 miles, due to understeering everywere probably

proxies have done me closer to 20k

[Edited on 23-08-2012 by tom130691]
chrex

23rd Aug 12 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my teg came with winter tyres...and i can confidently tell you that wet or dry...they are SHIT in the summer. Lighting up in 3rd and squealing around 30ish mph roundabouts.
They may work in the winter...but not all year round.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

23rd Aug 12 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same ones all year round! Bollocks to winter tyres, another money making scam!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Nic Barnes

23rd Aug 12 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the compound on winter tyres is designed to run at a lot colder temperatures so running them in summer/warmer will affect the rubber and grip quite a lot. they are also mostly made to shift snow from the treads, not specifically water such as british summer time rain.
MarkM

23rd Aug 12 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
Mertin

23rd Aug 12 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same all year round. Lucky enough not to need my car everyday for journeys. If conditions are too bad I'll just not go or get other ways around it
When I have decided to make a journey, Its been perfectly fine as long as your sensible and take your time and keep an eye on the road conditions. Dont think we even had much snow last year so winters wouldve been a waste of time!

Seen a young girl into a garage lately for new tyres on the back of her car as she complained it was sliding everywhere, back's weren't even that badly worn. When I looked on the front I seen a set of winter tyres, that'll be your problem then.
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 06:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Untill you drive in the snow with winter tyres, you can't comment. I'm amazed at how good they are.
MarkM

24th Aug 12 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
quote:

Untill you drive in the snow with winter tyres, you can't comment. I'm amazed at how good they are.

How much do they cost and how often does it snow enough to warrant them?
SetH

24th Aug 12 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ we had the same conversation last year.

You don't buy them just for snow days that is what out and out snow tyres are for. You buy them for better grip when it's 8 degrees or colder in which they provide better grip.

I fitted continental winter contacts last year and carried on my push on style of driving. They were superb on shitty muddy/icy roads*/rain etc and I only saw the TC light come on once all winter. Previous 3 series I kept the continental sport contact 3's over winter. I was all over the place and as soon as we had a tiny dusting of snow they were useless. That weekend we had shit loads of snow I had to drive back from stanstead airport with no sleep. Was dreading it but the winter contacts were superb and I got out of the untreatred car park with no issues.

Both cars were 330ci's btw

*i know that winter tyres won't do shit on sheet ice before anyone pipes up

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by SetH]
Tom J
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this has kinda gone down the wrong route, i'm not asking what the benefits winter tyres have in the snow. im asking is it ok to have two winter tyres on the front until the rears are changed or shall i change all four? also can you use winter tyres safely throughout the year
tom130691
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes and yes but it probably wont be enjoyable
Tom J
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cabin noise? or loss of grip?
Nic Barnes

24th Aug 12 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will wear very quick and won't grip well in summer months.
Matt L

24th Aug 12 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

winter tyres are good in the winter and summer tyres are good in the summer to put it bluntly.

i had my winter tyres on until about 2 months ago, the grip in winter far outweighed the grip the summer tyres had and in the snow they were just epic tbh, however I could definately tell the difference when i swapped back to the summer tyres as the grip was loads better (this is basing going from nankang winter tyres to bridgestone summer tyres so bit higher up the scale anyway).

cabin noise was probably less with the winter tyres to begin with but pretty much of a muchness after a few months.

most emergency services use winter tyres all year round according the tyre place i went to when looking to buy summer tyres again.

Ill definately be getting some more winter tyres this time around.

also winter tyres are only really useful up to 4mm tread left (in snow anyway) from what i read last year when i was looking.

another thing i noticed is the abs kicked in abit more with the winter tyres on (in spring/summer) over the summer tyres i have on now.

[Edited on 24-08-2012 by Matt L]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres v Summer v All Season 23 database queries in 0.0111191 seconds