corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Skoda TDI tuning box..?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Skoda TDI tuning box..?
McWillster

User status: Offline
4th Sep 12 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning

Got myself a 54 plate Octy a few months back. It's a 1.9TDI 110PD.

Driven it about 7-8000 miles since purchase, gave it a service this weekend just past and it hasn't put a foot wrong yet. Brilliant MPG aswell. Averaging around 45-50mpg, could be higher if i tried a bit harder to drive economically..

Now my question is.. What are the options for putting on a tuning box? This is the first diesel car i've had. In fact it's my first turbo car i've ever had to be able to play about with maps etc...

Friend of mine had an ebay jobby on his Golf TDI 140 and said it made a decent difference and when he came to sell it he just unpluged it and it was fine..

So yeah, if anyone in the know could point me in the right direction or links to any good forums with info it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
SXI - Matt

4th Sep 12 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't own a diesel but have been looking into getting an Astra 1.9tdci 150, had plans to map that as well as they seem to react really well to it.

I read that a proper map and set up was the way instead of a plug and play box. Reason being a plug in box increases fuel pressure ect but does not take into account adjusted timing ect

Where as getting it ok a rolling road first for them to check the engine then getting a new map applied and re done on a rolling road they can make sure the engine isn't being pushed to hard and check all the safety preameteres on the engine and adjust we're possible

Some think like that any way sure some one will be able to explain better and more factual what I'm trying to say

But a proper set up is better then the plug in box from what I've read

[Edited on 04-09-2012 by SXI - Matt]
McWillster

4th Sep 12 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know that getting it mapped properly would be the best option.

I haven't actually checked but i was under the impression that getting your car RR'd and mapped costed considerabley more..?

If it's going to cost in the region of hundreds £££ then i'm not fussed as it's only my daily and not really looking to spend a great deal.
whitter45

4th Sep 12 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a tuning box on my 1 series

made a massive difference and did over 70k with no issues

It up the rail pressure which increases fuel to air ratio and gives more boost

Its a very crude way of doing it but effective

Maps are better but more expensive although the boxes can range up to £299

mark2009

4th Sep 12 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got a tuning box on my 1.6 a3 normaly 105bhp but when you turn the box on its more around the 135 bhp, it transforms the car into somthing it feels it should have could out of thefactory with , really simple to use, just plug into th fuel rail and jobs a gooden, mine you can select low ,med or high and ovs i have it on high , my car was brand new when i got it and is now on 22k ,never had any trouble with it
Matt L

4th Sep 12 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mapping is always going to be better than plug and play, but plug and play gives you the option to remove it easily.

Boxes - from my limited reading on the subject can some times be a pain to set up as you are still able to change various settings to get it set up right (never owned one my self but thats just from what i read).

Actual maps are good but all varies on who you go to (id recommend Ptorque in wolverhampton) which is obviously no where near you but he mapped my old ibiza (any will probably map my leon if i decide to get it done).

Boxes only tend to adjust fuel pressure dont they? where as a map will alter everything that is needed.

Have a look at bluefin maps, basically a preloaded map onto a hand held unit that you plug and and upload/download onto your car when you want it (in between box & map in my opinion), the maps tend to be less agressive than getting it mapped properly but also changes more than a box would.
http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=33&fueltype=2&model=142&variant=402

[Edited on 04-09-2012 by Matt L]
McWillster

4th Sep 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£400 for the superchip though
Matt L

4th Sep 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can pick them up cheaper on ebay iirc.
mattievRS

4th Sep 12 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How far are you from shark in mansfield? They do a STS box which is a kit you buy from them that comes in the post. You upload your cars map onto it then plug it into your computer and email the map to them. They then make a custom map to your car and email it back. You then load it onto the STS box and plug it into your car and load it on. You can swap them as many times as you want. If its a case of a tuning box for the price then they are good for what they cost, i ran my fabia vrs pd130 on one for 1 year without problems then had a shark map. The map was suprising as the car felt a lot different from the tuning box.
The boxes tend to give around 160bhp and 260 torque, maps give more in my experience as mine was RR at 172bhp with 295 torque.

[Edited on 04-09-2012 by mattievRS]
John

4th Sep 12 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Postal remap every time for a PD, I've had a few at about £100.
Toby
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt personally fit a tuning box, not when a proper remap could be had for a not a great deal more money. It might be an effective way of gaining more power but its a crude way. I will be going for a map when i have the funds
antnee

4th Sep 12 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of companies will map it for about 200-250

Matt, Do you know P Torque don't write their own maps like they say they do?
Matt L

4th Sep 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
A lot of companies will map it for about 200-250

Matt, Do you know P Torque don't write their own maps like they say they do?

read a few stories about that, but tbh i dont know enough about mapping to know whether the stories are true or just someone who wasnt happy with what they got.

all i know is he mapped my ibiza and it didnt blow up so cant complain really and its a dam site cheaper than revo.
antnee

4th Sep 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of the maps he gets in are a little dodgey too, something to do with different emissions and stuff. He certainly doesn't 'tweek' maps like everyone thinks he does. Some of the PD130 maps are from Angel Tuning
John

4th Sep 12 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They probably all use the same maps anyway.
antnee

4th Sep 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not the big companies.
Josh Ack
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the tuning boxes are a potentiometer that is set to a certain level usually starting at 1.5k down to about 650 ohms. They work by fooling the car in thinking the car is warmer/cooler than it is and therefore putting more diesel into the engine which in turn needs more air so sucks more air in which is why when the air cant keep up there is unburnt fuel which is the black smoke. You can bridge the pins yourself with the EVRY mod look it up will save you a fair bit of money and because its a 110bhp its a VE engine which is even easier to work on as its a mechanical pump.
McWillster

5th Sep 12 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, for the replies folks.

Friend of mine has a he no longer wants so i'll stick it on and see whats what.

It has a dial on it so may just turn it to the lower side of things for the time being just to make sure it's ok.

If idle and shits all over the place when cold etc... then i won't bother. Need my car everyday for work so not willing to compromise the health of the thing.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Skoda TDI tuning box..? 22 database queries in 0.0113282 seconds