corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Monterey Car Week Recap: Day TWO

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Monterey Car Week Recap: Day TWO
SVT2888

User status: Offline
21st Sep 12 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Day two was considerably less eventful than Day 1. We originally planned to scour Craigslist for tickets to the Rolex Historics and/or to attend the Concours D’Lemons, the anti-concours concours. But we over slept for both, having had slept a whole 7 hours. It actually felt like the best sleep ever after which we proceeded to have a very big breakfast before heading off to Pebble Beach to explore the grounds.

Once at Pebble first thing we did was head towards the Gooding & Company tent to get our media credentials for the auction. But not before encountering some distractions; the first of which was a Porsche 928 with an extra set of doors. They were Mazda RX-8 style doors, it was as if the car was the predecessor to the Panamera. A few feet from it sat the legendary Porsche 953 Carrera 4×4 which had competed at many rallies.

Our next distraction was the Polo fields which are were all the transporters that are bringing cars to Pebble park. This is also were a lot of the cars are prepped before heading to the shows. Here we saw for the first time a 1 of 1 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 “Rissi”. It’s a Ferrari Daytona that was custom built with a half-vinyl top, a stainless hoop, and a plastic removable rear window. There were a few other cars of interest too sprinkled around the fields. As we were about to finally go into the Gooding tent right outside we saw the father-son combo of the McLaren F1 and Ferrari 250GT SWB California Spider.

Immediately upon entering the Gooding tent we were awe-struck. Right at the entrance they had a Ford GT40 prototype and a Ferrari 857 Sport. So we quickly got our credentials and went in to see what else they had in store for the auction weekend. The very first car we saw in the preview area was an absolutely stunning Mercedes 540k. It’s glamour per square inch is simply unmatched event today!

We quickly saw why Gooding & Co. at Pebble is considered one of the top auctions in the world. They also had a Maserati Birdcage, Porsche RS60, Monteverdi HAI 450 SS Prototype, Ferrari Enzo, a bunch of Bugatti’s, Auburn Boat-tail Speedster, Ferrari 400 Superamerica Coupe Aerodinamico, Ferrari 250 GT LWB prototype and a competition model, Toyota 2000GT, Lamborghini Miura SV, and the list goes on and on. It was a great collection of automobiles. When we exited the tent, I don’t know if it was the temperature change or what but my back started hurting so bad that I couldn’t breathe. I was gasping for air. But I sucked it up and soldiered on.

Our next notable stop was the Mercedes-Benz display were they held a collection of some of the most important 300SL Gullwings ever made. As soon as I walked in I just stood there and stared. I couldn’t believe I was seeing all of these in one place. I quickly got to taking as many pictures as I could. But we couldn’t stay too long as we had an invitation by photographer Richard Thompson to see and shoot a very cool group of cars owned by one man.

When we arrived we were astounded to see a Ferrari Enzo, an F50, 599GTO and a 458 Italia parked on the street of a very affluent neighborhood. We jumped out of our car and started shooting as if we were paparazzo. We wanted to get every detail, every angle. The owner of the cars and Richard were even kind enough to reposition the cars for us and open doors so we could get interior shots. The owner is a true car guy, not only does he own these magnificent machines he actually drives them. He has over 55k miles on the F50, which is 1 of 4 black F50’s ever produced. We chatted cars for a bit and took off since they had to eat dinner.

We just headed back to the Pebble Beach course area to the concept lawn to photograph some of the concepts before heading to downtown Monterey. In Monterey we revisited the RM auction to see if we had missed anything before having a great dinner at Old Fisherman’s Grotto. Then back to our room it was. But did we sleep? Hell no! We had to edit our pics for the day and upload them to our sites to people could have updates of what we had seen and experienced! We planned on sleeping a few hours before waking up super early for Dawn Patrol. But it didn’t happen, we just stayed up working.

More pics from the events:

http://www.cncpics.com/2012/August

Article Source
http://hooniverse.com/2012/09/20/monterey-car-week-recap-day-two/

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Monterey Car Week Recap: Day TWO 22 database queries in 0.0101910 seconds