corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buffer trails

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buffer trails
Jamie-C

User status: Offline
5th Oct 12 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a new car earlier in the week that needed a buff, went over it with some cutting compound and when I finished it looks worse than when I began, its covered in buffer trails

Any thing that will get rid of them?
Tomnova16
Premium Member

5th Oct 12 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to go down the grades.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Wrighty

5th Oct 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you say cutting compound, what did you use? once youve cut or cleaned youl need to polish back

turned my black mk5 golf almost grey with G3 myself brought it back with megs dual action clean polish, couldnt be arsed with speed glaze to bring it back even further though.
Firestate88

5th Oct 12 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/3m-polish/3m-perfect-it-iii-ultrafina-se-polish-50383-/prod_757.html

that combined with the blue waffle top works wonders, i love using it at work removes pretty much all the swirls in the first pass so 2 passes should remove them all pretty much
Jamie-C

5th Oct 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used Menzerma compound, was the medium grade I used so if I use the final finish stuff it should come up a treat then?

I'll have to that tomorrow then as it looks terrible
Rich H

6th Oct 12 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Firestate88
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/3m-polish/3m-perfect-it-iii-ultrafina-se-polish-50383-/prod_757.html

that combined with the blue waffle top works wonders, i love using it at work removes pretty much all the swirls in the first pass so 2 passes should remove them all pretty much

Not necessarily if the initial compound is aggressive. If you go straight to that afterwards it will largely mask the buffer trails rather than remove them.

Most of the time if you start with an aggressive compound you will need to go though 3 or 4 different levels of pads and polishes.

Ultrafina is a great product, and my 'go to' finishing polish
Firestate88

6th Oct 12 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
quote:
Originally posted by Firestate88

Not necessarily if the initial compound is aggressive. If you go straight to that afterwards it will largely mask the buffer trails rather than remove them.

Most of the time if you start with an aggressive compound you will need to go though 3 or 4 different levels of pads and polishes.

Ultrafina is a great product, and my 'go to' finishing polish

for silvers and all colours like that i use 3M green top fast cut compound followed by that 3M dark blue top ultrafine
and for blacks, reds and the likes i use the 3M green top followed by the 3M yellow top extra fine compound finished with the 3M dark blue top, car usually like glass
Rich H

6th Oct 12 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough

The light colours will most likely still have hologrammes present, but less obvious on that sort of colour so you'll get away with it! Especially if that's in a bodyshop environment where buffer trails come for free usually
Firestate88

6th Oct 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Fair enough

The light colours will most likely still have hologrammes present, but less obvious on that sort of colour so you'll get away with it! Especially if that's in a bodyshop environment where buffer trails come for free usually

hey in the bodyshop industry we have to leave the customer free gifts
plus if we didn't leave little gifts you wouldn't get as much work to doo

[Edited on 06-10-2012 by Firestate88]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buffer trails 23 database queries in 0.1296520 seconds