corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Snow chains/socks

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Snow chains/socks
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Oct 12 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These should be fitted to the driven wheels of a car. What would you be inclined to do with a Quattro TT/A3/A4 etc with Haldex where its not permanent 4wd? Would fitting them to only the front wheels be acceptable?
Brett
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you live in a bad area for snow? When it was mega heavy here my quattro handled it fine without silly socks. Doesn't answer you question mind.
RichR
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, I do, in the middle of the Peak District but its not for here. We're driving it down to the Alps in January and you have to have snow chains/socks in your car by law. I just don't know if I need them front and back. it just says driven wheels

[Edited on 16-10-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Robin
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would, for these purposes, class it as a FWD car.
Gary
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not on all 4?
Matt L

16th Oct 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont get how this system works but surely if the front wheels slipped it would put power to the back wheels?

Id treat it as 4wd whats the harm.
RichR
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

double the cost, I'd have to buy 2 sets not 1
Gary
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They arnt that expensive.
RichR
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£50-£75 a set roughly and I probably won't even use them as they're pretty good at clearing the roads over there. Its £50 I can spend on something else
Gary
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy one set, fit to the front, if that fails fit to rear?
RichR
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's the point, if I can, I only want to buy one set not two.
Fonz
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i first read this and questioned what is the point of four wheel drive pemanent or otherwise if you need socks...then realized the law you mentioned.

best bet is to research what that same law states for 4x4 cars...
Gary
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After a quick read the 4x4 system is 97.5% FWD under normal conditions but if teh fronts loose traction then all power is sent to the rear.

So it dosent really matter where you fit them it seems
RichR
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
i first read this and questioned what is the point of four wheel drive pemanent or otherwise if you need socks...then realized the law you mentioned.

best bet is to research what that same law states for 4x4 cars...

just states that chains or autosocks must be contained within the car ready to be fitted to the driven wheels.

[Edited on 16-10-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Ian W

16th Oct 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My experience of the Haldex is that in snow, all four wheels will drive.
AndyKent

16th Oct 12 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go fronts only.

If it looses traction on the front with chains, the back (with chains) is hardly going to do a lot better = pointless having them on the back.

Makes sense in my head if not words
Ben G

16th Oct 12 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

definitely just fit them to the fronts, as andy says.

if it's going to lose traction on the fronts with snow socks on then you might aswell get out and start digging.
BeetleGav

16th Oct 12 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put one on the front and one on the back. Could work.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usability wise I'd assume the fronts would be adequate but if the law says driven wheels then the car has 4 driven wheels so unless there's an exception applying to 4wd vehicles then I'd assume the law requires you to carry 2 sets.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Snow chains/socks 22 database queries in 0.0118480 seconds