corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: 997 GT3 wrap removal + 22PLE...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polished Bliss®: 997 GT3 wrap removal + 22PLE...
BluKoo

User status: Offline
17th Oct 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As usual, all pictures and text are lifted from detailing world.
Also its not me doing the work. Its my brother, so I can't answer any detailing questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've looked after this car for a good while now but as it was treated to a full Paint Protection Film (PPF) wrap by the previous owner in 2007 it was never one that was overly rewarding to detail.

From 10 feet away the car looked pretty good:

However, look a bit closer and you can see the lack of reflection and very orange peely appearance from the film (the entire car was wrapped):

Black cars always show up any flaws in the film so much more too:

The current owner had also never been overly happy with the depth of shine due to the film so between us we'd decided it would be best to just remove it all together. Saves me having to go round every edge of the film with a tooth pick next time too!

So after letting the car sit in the morning sun for 20 mins or so I began to remove the film, the difference can clearly be seen:

Even with the use of the heat gun the majority of the film was a complete pig to remove and after only a couple of panels I had blisters on every single one of my fingers - this was not a fun job at all (I won't be doing another)and there was a lot of glue residue being left behind in most places:

It took just over a day and a half to remove all the film and once the car was washed I began to get rid of all the glue residue. The best way of doing this was to pre-soak a panel or two with Tardis and then lay some Tardis soaked microfibres on top to keep it working:

This softened up the glue nicely but was still a messy job to remove so no pictures of this as I just wanted to crack on with the job in hand and to be honest I was in no real mood to be taking pics either as this car tried my patience big time!

Once finally film/glue free and washed again I could then get on with the paint prep.

The previous owner had the car detailed before having the film applied but unfortunately they didn't do the best of jobs so the entire car was covered in buffer trails.

Some were light:

Some were not so light:

So out with the Flex DA (I LOVE this machine!) and some Menzerna 3.02 or 106FA depending on the level of defects:

A few before and afters:

Once the paintwork was much improved I gave the car a full IPA wipe down:

New rear arch film pieces were then fitted:

22 PLE was then applied to the car:

This stuff is incredibly easy to use but as it buffs off slightly wet the only thing you have to watch for is that the panel is 100% smear free before moving onto the next one otherwise the residue will be hard to remove. Using the stopwatch on my phone i left the product on the panel for 5 minutes before removing.

As this product starts to cure pretty quickly I swapped to a fresh MF after 3 or 4 panels (you don't have to do this but I would recommend it) and put them in a wash solution to prevent them from going hard until I could get them in the washing machine. I wouldn't advise re-using them on paintwork again but they're fine for wheels/exhausts etc

All the other small details were completed including painting the wheel bolts:

And this was the end result which made all the work worthwhile for sure!

Thanks for looking
AndyCorsaSport

17th Oct 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stunning as per.

Really feel for him removing all the film, bad enough removing sign writing off vans. Although I have done 1 van full remove that was a full wrap. Was horrid.
BluKoo

17th Oct 12 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, he said he didn't enjoy it at all. Blisters on every single one of his fingers by the time he was done.
gidged500
Premium Member

17th Oct 12 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks ace that wish I was that good
Tomnova16
Premium Member

17th Oct 12 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely hate removing film. I get my prepper to do it
Lovely car though. I really want one.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Colin

17th Oct 12 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love it!!!
jonnysri

18th Oct 12 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love it, love it, love it
Ben G

18th Oct 12 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's my favourite shape porsche. it's stunning.

that film looks crap. would rather pay to get the car resprayed than have that orange peel crap all over the car.
Jambo

18th Oct 12 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is lovely,

Why did he have it wrapped though?
BluKoo

18th Oct 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The previous owner had it covered in paint protection film from new just to save getting stone chips.
gavin18787
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
That is lovely,

Why did he have it wrapped though?

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
18th Oct 12 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like cars with seat covers fitted from new, you cover up the good fabric to make it nice for the next guy. Looks well better now.
NathanR

18th Oct 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen this on detailing world . Lovely motor !
Generation

18th Oct 12 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks so nice!
Graham88

18th Oct 12 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was considering getting the front end painted on mine and having this film put on, not so sure after seeing that

Looks so much better now, my favourite car at the moment
CORSA NUT

18th Oct 12 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds sad but I'd love a brother that did this for a living

I'd be around there every spare chance I got helping out, really like cleaning cars when I have the time and getting to grips with detailing products.
BluKoo

18th Oct 12 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Sounds sad but I'd love a brother that did this for a living

I'd be around there every spare chance I got helping out, really like cleaning cars when I have the time and getting to grips with detailing products.

It's nice whenever he has anything interesting in. I was straight up for a looks when he had the Enzo and F40 in
CORSA NUT

18th Oct 12 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damn right are you not into detailing/valeting etc? Would be good to learn the trade and take over one day?
BluKoo

18th Oct 12 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Damn right are you not into detailing/valeting etc? Would be good to learn the trade and take over one day?

Nope, I'm not really as into it as my brother. I appreciate the level of skill and knowledge required and I love the outcome, but i prefer to use and abuse cars rather than pamper them.
As far as taking over one day, there's only 2 years between me and my brother, so it's not as if it'll be passed down or anything like that.
kennySRi

18th Oct 12 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the best details that has been done and i LOVE 997s in black, i would do anything to own that car
Christopher

19th Oct 12 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazing work as always! One day i wish to own a car that could end up as clean as this!
harrisp

19th Oct 12 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Like cars with seat covers fitted from new, you cover up the good fabric to make it nice for the next guy. Looks well better now.

It's like not shagging your misses so she's tighter for the next bloke
Jay

19th Oct 12 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Now that's another way to put it haha
SimonTW

20th Oct 12 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I see it as more like not shagging your virgin missus so you will get a better price from the guy (eastern european guy most likely) that you will sell her to.

Stunning car though!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: 997 GT3 wrap removal + 22PLE... 23 database queries in 0.0169141 seconds