corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless headphones

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless headphones
Nath

User status: Offline
23rd Oct 12 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Specifically the bluetooth type. Are these any good or do they sound rubbish through lack of wires? Doesn't seem to be much choice about so I was wondering if that was the reason.
pow
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 07:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got some Senhieser PX210's - I really rate them!
Nath

23rd Oct 12 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I've got some Senhieser PX210's - I really rate them!

They look decent too. What's the battery life like?
pow
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 07:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About 4/5 hours. I've got a second battery though so I just keep swapping them if I need to
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 07:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Doesn't seem to be much choice about so I was wondering if that was the reason.
I think people usually realise they'll get much better sound from wired headphones at the same cost. The pros hardly outweigh the cons.

WhatHiFi seem to think Sennheiser MM 400-X are the best wireless.
But again, in that price range you can get some proper good wired headphones.

Steve
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 07:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As bluetooth is an entirely digital signal, and also so is the source, anyone who says that wired gives a better sound knows nothing about the technology and probably spends 100+on hdmi cables
John

23rd Oct 12 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not correct Steve.

Bluetooth using whatever codec it does is not equal to an uncompressed digital signal going over fibre or coax.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 07:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes true, thats a codec issue though rather then the transmission of data

id still say its questionable though, questionable enough to no human ear being able to notice
John

23rd Oct 12 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bluetooth isn't fast enough, so it's a bluetooth issue.

I've not looked into bluetooth headphones recently btw so this issue may not exist anymore, just wanted to say it's not as good as wires just because the signal is digital.
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I see it it's not so much a matter of signal as a matter of hardware quality.

Buy a pair of 180£ proper headphones and you get a quality product through and through.

Pay the same for a pair of wireless and you get a pair of 80£ headphones with the novelty of being wireless and needing a recharge on a regular basis.

pow
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For listening to your standard MP3's at variable bitrate bluetooth headphones are just fine. Better than the shite you get with Apple phones in actual fact.

It takes perhaps half a second for the headphones to come out of 'sleep' when there is no sound playing so short sounds sound like they have a start cut short.

I just like being cord free - mainly cos I like to chew the cord
AndyKent

23rd Oct 12 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a pair of Plantronix Backbeats for running.

Brilliant tbh. Wouldn't use them for 'serious' stuff, but easily equal to a pair of cheap wired headphones.

Battery life is awesome, albeit they are low power speakers.
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
For listening to your standard MP3's at variable bitrate bluetooth headphones are just fine. Better than the shite you get with Apple phones in actual fact.
And if you pay the same price for the right pair of wired, they're going to be even better yet.

pow
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I just like being cord free - mainly cos I like to chew the cord
Dom

23rd Oct 12 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
....anyone who says that wired gives a better sound knows nothing about the technology and probably spends 100+on hdmi cables

Ironic

What goes in, isn't what comes out with BT/A2DP. What comes out, as John said, largely depends on the codec being used for re-compression but in most cases it's SBC which is woeful at best.
Granted there are codecs like aptX-lossless which vastly improves things but even that isn't a lossless codec, as the name suggests, as it alters the compression in aid of keeping constant data rates.
And the BT protocol is bloated and a bodge at best but it's become an industry standard even though there are better wireless protocols, especially for transmitting audio.

Either way it isn't as clean cut as you're making it out to be and i've got no idea how you've come to the conclusion that wired is the same as a '100+ HDMI cable' when A2DP changes the source material

Nath - I'm with Balling, stick to a decent pair of wireless headphones; you'll get a better product at the end of it.

[Edited on 23-10-2012 by Dom]
Nath

23rd Oct 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the replies. Was mainly out of curiousity. Wired it is then!
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to fly my drone at doms face
pow
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why, you'll never notice the difference for casual listening
Dom

23rd Oct 12 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Im going to fly my drone at doms face

That's it! Laser gun driver-by!
Nath

23rd Oct 12 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
my pocket will.
Dom

23rd Oct 12 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow
my pocket will.

Plus battery......

Nath - i think you should get an external DAC (that's if your phone supports USB-on-the-go) and some Grado's
Nath

23rd Oct 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a Nexus if that's any use? Although any headphones would be used with my iPad more often than not. Budget about £150-200 ideally. Xmas present territory
Dom

23rd Oct 12 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've got a Nexus if that's any use? Although any headphones would be used with my iPad more often than not. Budget about £150-200 ideally. Xmas present territory

Depends what you're after and where you're planning to use them. Although you could potentially get some custom (moulded to ears) IEM's for that budget ie: Sleek Customs, ACS T3's, Fidelity Customs etc

For (over head) open-backs, Grado Sr80/60. I think they sound amazing for the cost; although Balling thinks the isolation on his 60's (think that's what he has) isn't that great, can't say i've noticed any problems with them.
AKGs would also be worth looking at.

Definitely read reviews, lots of them (head-fi.org is a good start), and stay the fuck away from the Beats Dre bullshit

No idea about the Nexus, have a gander on Gsmarena. Although strapping a DAC to your phone and carrying it around is definitely a bit audio-geek/OTT

eg - S3 + Ray Samuel Predator DAC
Nath

23rd Oct 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is a bit geek

I've never listened to Beats but the owners of those at my gym are enough to make me stay away.

Would be overheads I reckon, fancy a 'proper' set. Would have a variety of uses really. Music at home, iPad when on the go with work. John Lewis appear to sell Grado's. Will have a gander.
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Oct 12 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
For (over head) open-backs, Grado Sr80/60. I think they sound amazing for the cost; although Balling thinks the isolation on his 60's (think that's what he has) isn't that great, can't say i've noticed any problems with them.
Mine are SR80i's and I don't think I've ever made that complaint. On the contrary, I can't recommend them enough.

The one thing I have to say about the 80's is that they really don't sound that much different than the 60's. Not to me at least.
I think this is more a picture of just how good the 60's actually are, though.

I recently put Sennheiser HD414 yellow pads on mine and the actually lift the detail quite a bit.

Far worst thing about the Grado's is also one of the best: The cable is LOOOONG. Awesome when sitting at home, annoying as fuck when out and about.

Also, they're not too good in noisy environments. Forget about using them on a plane.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll