corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Emergency Services: Too scared to speed?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Emergency Services: Too scared to speed?
Gaz

User status: Offline
1st Nov 12 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some of the stats of emergency drivers not driving to the emergency as fast as they can through being scared of something going wrong and being prosecuted for it is scary!

WTF do society want? To be helped in an emergency as quickly as possible (lets face it thats why you should ring 999) Or have emergency services held up not because of traffic but because your local ex-60mph duel carriageway is now a 30mph.

When I watch programs like this it makes my piss boil, as its the same people who want to emergency services fucked over if something goes wrong, who then want/need and emergency service and complain about it to the death.
Gaz

1st Nov 12 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry, this is in relation to the ITV program thats just been on if people are wondering where this has come from.
Russ

1st Nov 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need to stop being so naive if you think thats true
Gaz

1st Nov 12 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there have been cases in courts of this nature, so yes, it's true.
andy_mk3

1st Nov 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not long ago I followed an Ambulance with it's lights flashing doing 65mph on the A47, dry evening, light traffic. I thought I hope it's not too serious!
Russ

1st Nov 12 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
there have been cases in courts of this nature, so yes, it's true.
no, just no gaz.
JonnyJ

1st Nov 12 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy_mk3
Not long ago I followed an Ambulance with it's lights flashing doing 65mph on the A47, dry evening, light traffic. I thought I hope it's not too serious!

reminds me of the time one went past me on the M62 on the way back from Hull in traffic. Eventually it cleared and i was on my way doing a steady 80, next thing im catching it back up and hes stuck it permanently in the outside lane, so i undertook him. Thought it cant be that serious
mattant

1st Nov 12 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ironically, plenty of people get run over and killed by emergency vehicles
ed

1st Nov 12 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The way ambulances an paramedics respond to incidents has evolved quite a bit. Paramedics are trained to do more treatment in transit and often a medic can respond to an incident too. It's more than getting the patient to the hospital ASAP now.
JaffaTB

1st Nov 12 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother was almost knocked over by an ambulance once, It would have been the fastest response ever
John

1st Nov 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've seen some shocking driving from emergency vehicles, normally police.

Normal cops shouldn't be allowed to speed unless they've had some proper training.
ed

1st Nov 12 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Police Volvo nearly pulled out on me at a roundabout tonight - would have been a pretty good crash if he hadnt have stopped!
Welsh Dan

1st Nov 12 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ed said, ambulances aren't all about speed. Sometimes they'll have a vulnerable patient who needs to be transported slowly. We've had a few runs at 35mph, sometimes slower.

With regards to Police training, although the law says that Police don't need training to use the exemptions, in this day and age with lawsuits and whatnot, most, if not all forces will require officers to have a driving course before they let them use them.

They need to add a bit to the driving test about what to do when you see an emergency vehicle. The amount of clowns that just slam on the brakes, instead of just moving over to the clear lane is unreal. Or idiots that just sit there and don't move, or look in their mirrors.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

1st Nov 12 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was completely baffled by the guy that wanted to completely ban police pursuits. If that happened, we'd get even more people driving around without the proper documents, all you'd need to do is register your car to a false name and address then whenever the police try to pull you, gun it and they're stumped because they can't chase you and they can't follow it up later because they don't know who's car it is. What a bright idea that would be
Jamie-C

2nd Nov 12 at 01:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a near miss with a police jeep before, was about 1am I was out in the car and was driving over a crossroads and out of nowhere this police jeep flys straight over the crossroads in front off me only just missing me. Didn't have sirens on so I wasn't aware it was there. At the time I actually thought it was stolen as it was pure stupidity what they done. I think they just put any tom dick and harry in them as there has been a fare share off jeeps rolled here

Butler

2nd Nov 12 at 03:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like to outrun ambulances and pretend they are police
stan_the_man

2nd Nov 12 at 03:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A local lad overtook an ambulance with the blues on and got banned

[Edited on 02-11-2012 by stan_the_man]
sc0ott

2nd Nov 12 at 06:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are the police allowed to speed when they dont have their flashing lights on?
gtitim

2nd Nov 12 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Are the police allowed to speed when they dont have their flashing lights on?

Yes
Russ

2nd Nov 12 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Normal cops shouldn't be allowed to speed unless they've had some proper training.
why? you do it? we all do it? and other than pow, we are not trained
Russ

2nd Nov 12 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
I like to outrun ambulances and pretend they are police
gtitim

2nd Nov 12 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The biggest problem is the CPS will actively seek to prosecute cops. A colleague had a pursuit in a Traffic car. Lost the pursuing vehicle. Several miles down the road, not being followed, the suspect vehicle crashed and one passenger was seriously hurt.

Police in the area investigated. My colleague was asked to attend the investigating station to have a statement taken, and promptly arrested for dangerous driving since he was pursuing. Even though he was nowhere near the suspect vehicle when it crashed. Took 18 months before it was resolved.

As for speeding - I brake for speed cameras - far simpler to touch the brakes and drop to ,say 40 in a 30, then back up to 50, than risk being prosecuted for 50+ even though my guidelines are +20mph on blue light jobs.
John

2nd Nov 12 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:

why? you do it? we all do it? and other than pow, we are not trained

I'm trained the same as Pow, I know the limits of my driving though.

Some standard cop in an astra with lights doesn't from what I've seen.
andy_mk3

2nd Nov 12 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

The way ambulances an paramedics respond to incidents has evolved quite a bit. Paramedics are trained to do more treatment in transit and often a medic can respond to an incident too. It's more than getting the patient to the hospital ASAP now.

I thought that but it joined the road from the junction that goes towards the hospital and was heading away from the city!
gazza808

2nd Nov 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

They actually aren't allowed to with out having the training first.
Sure my mate had to do a few driving courses/tests before he was allowed to use the blues.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Emergency Services: Too scared to speed? 22 database queries in 0.0107629 seconds