corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them?
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
8th Nov 12 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have my first set of winter tyres now, never tried them before but getting excited about it now. Cannot wait to be sailing past everyone who is stuck in the snow with their tramp tyres

REAL DEAL

The grip that shall be propelling me to unheard of speeds in the snow

[Edited on 08-11-2012 by 3CorsaMeal]
mwg

8th Nov 12 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having good winter tyres won't stop some numpty that has no clue how to drive in the snow from smashing in to you Which is exactly why I try not to drive my car when it snows if I can help it...

Winter tyres are supposed to be good generally in colder conditions though aren't they, below 7 degrees Celsius?
Ben G

8th Nov 12 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they look nice. no point putting them on just now though. will just be wearing the tread down.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunlop Winter Sport, very capable tyre! Had those for two seasons on the Corsa and they were very good in the cold.
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Winter tyres are supposed to be good generally in colder conditions though aren't they, below 7 degrees Celsius?

Rubber gets harder the colder it is and hence looses grip. Below 7 or 8 degrees summer tyres are simply too hard.

mwg

8th Nov 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They aren't just for snow though Ben, they generally work better than normal tyres in colder temperatures like at this time of year. Unless you are having a heatwave down south that I'm unaware of

[Edited on 08-11-2012 by mwg]
spencer88

8th Nov 12 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will not bother. Will have 2 days of snow in which I probably wont need to drive. Not worth it even when it is cold as I drive within my cars limits.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 15:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by spencer88
Not worth it even when it is cold as I drive within my cars limits.
Sorry Spence, but

If some retard turns out in front of you and you slam the brakes but just slide in to him, then driving "within your cars limits" makes no fucking difference.

Balling
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get the feeling a lot of people only think a good tyre grip makes a difference when driving like a lunatic and throwing the car in to every corner.

Ben G

8th Nov 12 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
They aren't just for snow though Ben, they generally work better than normal tyres in colder temperatures like at this time of year. Unless you are having a heatwave down south that I'm unaware of

[Edited on 08-11-2012 by mwg]

under 7 degrees celcius is when they work better than summer tyres.

it's not currently under 7 degrees celcius consistently down here.
Ben G

8th Nov 12 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Sorry Spence, but

If some retard turns out in front of you and you slam the brakes but just slide in to him, then driving "within your cars limits" makes no fucking difference.

insurance sorts that out.
3CorsaMeal

8th Nov 12 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got stuck on a very slight hill in the corrado a few winters ago, what took the piss was the old lady effortlessly cruising by and overtaking me, while i was stuck

Going to put them on for MOT and probably leave them on
spencer88

8th Nov 12 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Sorry Spence, but

You miss understand me Balling Calm down you angry man !

It ain't worth it down here.

As said, if it snows down here, no one goes out, the place closes down near enough. The comment regarding driving in the cars limits was about general driving not in snow, just when cold.
I drive in the rain cautiously, so if someone pulled out in front of me, either with or without winter tyres the result would be the same, if I see someone at a junction I will adapt my speed and pay more attention, I think in those situations a few m's less stopping distance wouldn't make much difference.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put some on the wifes car last week and we had some wintry conditions over the weekend and they were brilliant a great improvement
Balling
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Calm down you angry man !
I just can't bare the thought of you in an accident.

spencer88

8th Nov 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aww babez.

Honestly though it doesn't get that bad down here. And if it does, no one drives
Corsa_Sport21

8th Nov 12 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, won't be using them.

Have managed fine for the last 10 years, including a bad snowy winter last year, in an MR2, with ditch-finder rears. Drove to the conditions, no drama's what so ever.
mwg

8th Nov 12 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sound like a driving god amongst men.
Corsa_Sport21

8th Nov 12 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, just an average driver with my head screwed on.
Corsa_Sport21

8th Nov 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, bet those BBS wheels will look awesome on the Corrado, in a picture taken from your bedroom window.

Be sure to update this thread when they are fitted, just to confirm.
SetH

8th Nov 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep MV2's and Conti winter contact wheels/tyres are going back on next week.

Temperatures here have been between 5-7 degrees during the day.

225/45 all round, not reccomended to run staggered with winter tyres.

Have noticed the drop in grip from my FK452's over the last week even down to bit of wheel spin when pully away briskly (not aggresively).

they got me from Stansted to Norwich start of February when we had all that Snow. Traction light did not even flash once on way home.

Interestingly worse car I ever had in slipperly/snowy conditions was my Blob STi on FK452's would not turn for shit and there were people in L reg mondeos behind me getting angry.
SetH

8th Nov 12 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
No, won't be using them.

Have managed fine for the last 10 years, including a bad snowy winter last year, in an MR2, with ditch-finder rears. Drove to the conditions, no drama's what so ever.

whilst I believe your uber 1337 shit hot mansell, mcrae type skills, like quite a few on here you are clearly missing the point.

BarnshaW

8th Nov 12 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly what corsasport_21 said, i have never ever had a problem driving on same tyres all years round, never had a problem braking or anything.

if its icy or snowy and i REALLY have to drive i just drive very very slow, no dramas, fuck having to spend out on more tyores then the hassle of changing back, especially with our weather when it can get suddenly warm in march then back down into minus temps in april, pointless imo.
Ben G

8th Nov 12 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i understand for some people is a need rather than a want situation, but as said i have no problem driving slowly on icy/snowy roads.

last time it snowed i took a spade in my car and when i got stuck half way up a hill, i dug the car out.

maybe if you all weren't such pussies you'd have the muscle to do that also.
Corsa_Sport21

8th Nov 12 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
No, won't be using them.

whilst I believe your uber 1337 shit hot mansell, mcrae type skills, like quite a few on here you are clearly missing the point.

There is no skills needed though, just some common sense.

Referring to my skills being mansell/mcrae like, would suggest i drove like a tool. If you read my reply properly, you would see that wasn't the case, quite the opposite infact.
Rich H

8th Nov 12 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i understand for some people is a need rather than a want situation, but as said i have no problem driving slowly on icy/snowy roads.

last time it snowed i took a spade in my car and when i got stuck half way up a hill, i dug the car out.

maybe if you all weren't such pussies you'd have the muscle to do that also.

Or if you actually stopped trying to bait for a few minutes, and spent money on decent winter tyres, you wouldn't need to get a spade out the boot and waste time digging yourself out of snow as you'd have been able to drive straight through it with correct tyres on?!

This is the first year I've invested in winter tyres tbh, getting them fitted tomorrow. Intrigued to see how different they are, but plenty of clients who ran them last year were raving about the huge improvement they made!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres/Wheels, Who will be using them? 23 database queries in 0.0136819 seconds