corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » topran collapsing hubs??????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author topran collapsing hubs??????
benpep

User status: Offline
11th Nov 12 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://s1336.beta.photobucket.com/user/bedsheets21/media/photo3.jpg.html

has anyone ran topran hubs?? ive had 2 of them collapse on me in the last 6 weeks.
its really strange,they just seem to snap clean off the bearing as shown in the link above??
is this common as the drivers side went then within afew weeks the passanger side followed.
really bugging me so if anyone can shed me some light on this then please do.
davegreen
Premium Member

11th Nov 12 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i never had it happen but know of others that have with so called 2.0 motorsport hubs. changed to standard cav hubs and audi bearings in bored out carriers. my wheel bearings used to fail at low mileage, 2k ish plus had wheel wobble under braking all gone with the set up im using now.
benpep

11th Nov 12 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what size audi bearings do you run?? my dads mate is an engineer so i could soon get some hubs bored. i have replaced the topran units with some machined down standard astra gsi ones. how do companys like courtney produce there hubs,do they just use the standard unit and machine them down in house???
bigron1988

11th Nov 12 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup got it in one
davegreen
Premium Member

11th Nov 12 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant remember which audi they fit only that its the rear ones, same id as a cav hub same width as a corsa hub and about 1 or 2mm bigger od. hub carrier and circlip grove need boring out and a small amount off a standard hub to clear the smaller circlip. i went into euro car parts with this info and got the correct bearings. if you cant find them i maybe able to dig out the part number?
benpep

11th Nov 12 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in no great rush to replace them at the min as ive just replaced both sides but if this problem re occurs then im off down any route i can to prevent it.
vauxhead

11th Nov 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they`ve snapped once mate, they will again, its down to them being machined right down to fit into corsa bearings, makes them really weak

Use these audi bearings in bored out knuckles with standard big block hubs and you wont have a problem:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-90-COUPE-FRONT-WHEEL-BEARING-KIT-N-S-O-S-/180692284956?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1219761c#ht_6094wt_1037

[Edited on 11-11-2012 by vauxhead]
davegreen
Premium Member

11th Nov 12 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

euro car parts part number is, 628440270. much stronger than machining down the hubs.
benpep

12th Nov 12 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spot on lads cheers! the machined hubs are far too thin in my eyes when compared to the untamperd one. really wish i had known this 6 weeks ago,live and learn
bigron1988

12th Nov 12 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by benpep
spot on lads cheers! the machined hubs are far too thin in my eyes when compared to the untamperd one. really wish i had known this 6 weeks ago,live and learn

you have a u2u msg mate
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TTT

im going to bump this topic as again my NSF wheel baring has failed .. thats another one after 3k ish miles.

i really dont trust this set-up i have and ive heard a lot of stories with with the issue about the hubs failing.

i remember messaging you earlier this year about having the knuckles machined and bigger bearings fitted like on your set-up but have since deleted the u2u.

who is it worth speaking to to get a set made up?

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
bigron1988

18th Nov 12 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u jonlem

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/member.php?action=viewpro&member=Jonlem

he is the one who sorted mine out

[Edited on 18-11-2012 by bigron1988]
gazza808

18th Nov 12 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most I see break are because they are machined to a sharp corner not a nice radius, causing quite a stress point.
IMO the Audi bearing mod is a lot better,
And piss to do tbh if you have the gear.

New Poll