corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » eBuyer returns

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author eBuyer returns
Aaron

User status: Offline
13th Nov 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly a Geek Day post...but what the hell...

Has anyone had any experience of returning a product to eBuyer in the following circumstances (or something similar)?

I bought a couple of hard drives for my testing setup at home (VMWare)

When i got the drives home tonight, i quickly realised that ESXi wouldnt recognise them, and after a small bit of research (which, to be fair...i should have done before i bought them), i found out that ESXi doesn't support disks of this size (3TB). i've tried to partition the drives to a size where VMWare could recognise them, but...no joy.

Anyway. The drives have been taken out of their packaging, but i still have it all. What would the chance be of eBuyer allowing me to return the hard drives in exchange for 3x 2TB drives (providing that i paid any difference)

I've read on their website that i'm allowed to return the products in agreement with something called the "distance purchasing act", however, the wording of it makes me think that i might be out of luck because i've opened the packaging.

Any thoughts?
Aaron

13th Nov 12 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will of course be calling them about this tomorrow morning btw

[Edited on 13-11-2012 by Aaron]
fazza

13th Nov 12 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

absolute shit when it came to me returning stuff.

I ordered 4 x phones from there but for some reason they sent me 8 of them and of course charged me for 8 of them

I tried and tried to return the extra 4 but it basically came down to theres nowt I can do and I will have to keep them. Not the end of the world as they did sell but I didnt require 8 of them, infact 4 was more than i could have got away with lol

Shit service and havent used them again since
dragon2309

13th Nov 12 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They aren't obliged to refund you or exchange anything I'm afraid, if they do then its purely a customer service good will gesture, and you should be very thankful. They may offer to credit you back for them at a reduced price so as to cover a restocking charge.

I've returned a few things to ebuyer, but never in this situation.
John

13th Nov 12 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not 3tb drives but I've got esxi running with 5tb raid partitions. You sure the 2tb limit isn't the maximum virtual drive size you can create on a datastore?
Aaron

13th Nov 12 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, well i was lead to believe that 2TB was the limit.

The PC which is running ESXi doesn't support raid from what i can gather. (HP Proliant N40)

The ideal situation would be to get it to recognise the drives one way or another...but i can't see it happening.

If i can't return then, i'll probably punt them on for a £20 loss per drive

[Edited on 13-11-2012 by Aaron]
John

13th Nov 12 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well esxi can definitely see the 5tb raid array, which is basically a single disk as far as esxi is concerned. I can only give windows a max 2tb drive though.
Aaron

13th Nov 12 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which version of ESXi are you running out of interest?
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Nov 12 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Distance Selling Regulations - you can return within 14 days.

That's a legal right, not a shop policy but there are conditions. You must have taken reasonable care of the item. There is no direct requirement for the item to be resalable but throwing away the packaging or ripping it open they could argue is not sufficient care.

You are also legally only allowed to examine the product and not use it - and what you have already done may constitute use which forfeits your right, although you'd need to reach agreement with the retailer about that.

Whether they're poor at it or not - you still have rights and they have to honour those. The T&C set out the conditions under which returns will happen but they can't renege on their obligations. Just make sure you've done your half and you will be fine.
Aaron

13th Nov 12 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite right.

It's my stupid fault for not doing my research in the first place. We'll see how it does. I still aren't convinced that i've done everything i can to get these drives to work as i need, and if i'm told tomorrow that i can't send them back...perhaps i'll persevere at it
John

13th Nov 12 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5.0 and 5.1 with that big a drive.
Aaron

13th Nov 12 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok, i'm only on 4 at present. Research suggests that adding raid to the server will allow it to recognise the full amount of space on the drives, but that'll be another pay-out for the raid card. hmmm
John

13th Nov 12 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why 4 and not 5.1? Just go to the latest and don't waste time. You shouldn't need raid either.
Aaron

13th Nov 12 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put 5 on it when it first arrived, but my servers were running at 100% CPU all the time...literally just after a fresh install.

The hard drive limit is starting to confuse me. Some say yes, some say no, and some say that setting up raid will sort it.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3490-esxi-5-on-microserver/

I'm out of my depth with this one, and i feel as though i'm probably going to blow more money on shit I don't need
John

13th Nov 12 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just stick 5.1 on, takes all of 5 minutes to find out.

4 is well outdated now. It's a product that they've definitely improved with every revision. The older versions of 4 were missing loads of stuff.
Aaron

13th Nov 12 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fairs enough. That'll be the next thing i try i guess.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » eBuyer returns 22 database queries in 0.0129139 seconds