corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New Phone Day - Nexus 4

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Phone Day - Nexus 4
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
27th Dec 12 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contract is up at the end of December so looking at whats available. I think my mind is already made up but as I'm not really down with the kids on all the latest tech/phone stuff just wondering what options are available.

There doesnt seem to be a great deal about at the moment, dont really want the iPhone 5, had a play on my mates SGS3 and that was too big for my liking, the Nokia thing, im not a great fan of the looks, which leaves the Nexus 4. Love the look of it, its on android so I'll be used to it (Coming from a Desire HD) and its only a bit bigger than my current phone.

I'm not massively into all the little gadgets and stuff phones come with these days, I only really use my phone to view the internet, make calls/texts and as a sat nav. That said, as I'll be getting it on a 2 year contract, I ideally want something that the tech will last and not be massively out of date in 2 years time, the Desire HD has lasted quite well in that respect.

So, does the Nexus 4 seem like it will fit the bill or is there something else out there better that i dont know about? Or is there something coming out in say, the next 2 months that will blow the Nexus 4 out of the water? I could probably last a few more months on my current phone if it meant getting something a bit better than whats already out there now.
LeeM

27th Dec 12 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isnt it only about £200 outright? id want a really cheap contract to be tied in for 2 years on one if theyre around that price
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont have £200 to blow on a phone outright, with my car tax and mot coming up in February. I know in the long run its cheaper, blah blah but its just less hassle to put it on contract and forget about it. Plus im used to the 3 "One Plan" with its all you can eat data etc. £35 a month for 2 years really doesnt bother me in the slightest, im paying that for a desire HD right now and it still doesnt bother me Its just one of those bills now, like car insurance.

Anyway, this isnt about the cost, but what phone would be best to go for. Not here for a financial review
Marc

27th Dec 12 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Anyway, this isnt about the cost, but what phone would be best to go for. Not here for a financial review

Good, because portfolio day has no place in here!
Marc

27th Dec 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you looked at the HTC Windows phone btw?
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Have you looked at the HTC Windows phone btw?

Which one is that Marc? Link? Well out of date when it comes to whats on the market these days
Cavey

27th Dec 12 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He is right on that front though.

I'm between the Nexus4 and the S3 for the new phone, but don't want to get the Nexus as I know full well it's half the price of the S3, but on similar contracts. Think it's taking the piss really.

So i'll probably go for the S3
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were wanting to maximise a contract surely you'd just go for an iPhone 5 as it will hold its value far better when you come to the end?

I just view £35 a month as what its costs to run a top end mobile now, i wouldnt go with a phone i didnt like purely because i thought i was getting more value out of the contract.

No doubt in 6 months time a new Samsung will come out and that £35 a month will look stupid anyway so its not even worth worrying about. If you get any phone on any contract you're going to be paying more than its worth somewhere down the line, but there you go, thats life.

That said if you genuinely prefer the S3 over the Nexus 4 then go for that. I just couldnt live with the size of it.
Marc

27th Dec 12 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Which one is that Marc? Link? Well out of date when it comes to whats on the market these days

http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-wp-8x/

There is a Nokia version too.
Cavey

27th Dec 12 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not about the resale value really, it's just the fact I know that the phone companies are shitting on me I don't really like.

I also don't like the size of the S3, but the 4 isn't THAT much smaller. I do like the wireless charging and the fact it's slightly smaller though

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/choose-tariff/LG_NEXUS_4/MONTHLY?viewDealForAll=false&colourCode=&modelName=Nexus%204#b

The 750mb for £26 a month on there is good

[Edited on 27-12-2012 by Cavey]
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:

http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-wp-8x/

There is a Nokia version too.

Ah yeah, its the Nokia version ive seen. Not massive on the looks but seems well specced...Another reservation would be moving from Android, which im used to, to windows.

Anyone with better tech knowledge than me know how it compares to the Nexus 4?
John

27th Dec 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nexus 4 is excellent, definitely best phone I've had.
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
It's not about the resale value really, it's just the fact I know that the phone companies are shitting on me I don't really like.

I also don't like the size of the S3, but the 4 isn't THAT much smaller. I do like the wireless charging and the fact it's slightly smaller though

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/choose-tariff/LG_NEXUS_4/MONTHLY?viewDealForAll=false&colourCode=&modelName=Nexus%204#b

The 750mb for £26 a month on there is good

Problem with that is that a tether my phone loads, i do a lot of train journeys and i'd probably smash that 2gb usage. Thats why i'm sticking with 3, as its unlimited and the internet coverage is awesome, the only time i dont get the highest speeds is when i have no signal. Should've probably put that at the start
Cavey

27th Dec 12 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, fair enough, for me 750gb is enough as I use wifi at home, and i'm a postman, so don't really get chance to use it out and about, I use less than 500mb a month at the moment
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

A good review from John is always good news

Would you say there is anything on the market now, or coming in say, the next few months that would rival it?
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ah, fair enough, for me 750gb is enough as I use wifi at home, and i'm a postman, so don't really get chance to use it out and about, I use less than 500mb a month at the moment

Aye, its the one thing i absolutely require, as ill regularly be watching iPlayer/streaming sports when out and about.
Cavey

27th Dec 12 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=68715405

Looks like that's the best deal at the moment then, although i'm sure there was one with a free wireless charging mat

John

27th Dec 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Would you say there is anything on the market now, or coming in say, the next few months that would rival it?

Nothing that I know of, especially for what it costs.Build quality is brilliant and plain android is better than any of the sense/samsung stuff that gets put on top. Screen is amazing, I liked the S3, this is better.

The only downfalls I can see, which don't matter too much to me are no removable storage or user swappable battery.
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Looks like that's the best deal at the moment then, although i'm sure there was one with a free wireless charging mat

Link just goes through to the home page mate
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Nothing that I know of, especially for what it costs.Build quality is brilliant and plain android is better than any of the sense/samsung stuff that gets put on top. Screen is amazing, I liked the S3, this is better.

The only downfalls I can see, which don't matter too much to me are no removable storage or user swappable battery.

Removable storage isnt an issue either, i currently have a 4gb card in my HD and its nowhere near full 16GB will be more than enough Same for battery. Speaking of which, whats the life like on it in real life use?
Cavey

27th Dec 12 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Link just goes through to the home page mate

Just search it on the uswitch page, was your 3 deal, but 30 a month.
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strangely the second time i clicked it, it worked
John

27th Dec 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine seems to be about half by the time I plug it in on a normal day. I think you should easily get a day out of it unless you're using it constantly.
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a question if i order of there, I'll have to make sure i cancel my current deal with 3 for my HD as that will just kep on rolling i assume?

Ideally I'd keep my number and just go through it in store with 3 but saving £5 a month and getting it free instead of £29 appeals more than keeping my number.
JonnyJ

27th Dec 12 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Mine seems to be about half by the time I plug it in on a normal day. I think you should easily get a day out of it unless you're using it constantly.

Lovely stuff. It will make a change from mine atm which is on battery saver after about 8 hours with wifi off, screen on lowest brightness, no bg data etc

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll