corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » What are your opinions on shared mortgages?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What are your opinions on shared mortgages?
c4rsa-sport

User status: Offline
30th Dec 12 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After things falling through with the ex misses and the house, i am now looking to get my own place, have been looking into these shared mortgages just looking for as much advice as possible. What are your thoughts on them?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
30th Dec 12 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gets you in a house but normally in a situation you need to buy yourself out of.

Probably more expensive than renting depending how long you're staying but you've got security of it being yours and not being thrown out because the landlord changes their mind, plus you might get equity but I wouldn't bank on that bit.
MarkM

30th Dec 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its the only option to getting on the property ladder go for it.
Toby
Premium Member

31st Dec 12 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends how its set up, some schemes work better than others. If i were you and this was an option, have your parents or whatever take out a loan for the difference and give you the cash as a deposit, the interest on the loan will be far cheaper than buying yourself out in 10/15 years time but then you have the burden on paying two loans and finding someone who has enough credit to get the loan/can afford to give you the 'credit' so to speak.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Dec 12 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
If its the only option to getting on the property ladder go for it.

What ladder? The one that puts you in a better position to buy in five years?

Or buy now, asset doesn't appreciate, accrue interest, fees, responsibilities, pay to market, pay to exchange.

Then after paying all that and being compared to renting, you're no longer eligible for FTB deals.

Ladder isn't the only place to stand.
MarkM

31st Dec 12 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I said if other (better) options aren't available to for it. If his goal is to own his own place (even partly) he has to go for it through lack of options.
Sam
Premium Member

31st Dec 12 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Waste of time. Find a way of earning extra income and save up for a deposit, then get a traditional mortgage.
Russ

31st Dec 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shared mortgage as in part buy part rent?
RichR
Premium Member

1st Jan 13 at 00:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ

Yes
c4rsa-sport

1st Jan 13 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guessed that there would be mixed opinions, my mate is doing it and after talking to him he seems ok with it, will look into it more now the new year has come around.
John

1st Jan 13 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like a very easy way to be stuck in a house you don't want in 2 years time.
Nath

1st Jan 13 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sisters fiancée has one on this and it's a good deal if you don't earn that much and dont want to rent. His combined mortgage and rent is less than the rent on comparable properties. Good if you can't realistically save a proper deposit. Also good if house prices are a joke, like they are.
Nath

1st Jan 13 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's been there for 7 years too.
Russ

2nd Jan 13 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
quote:
Originally posted by Russ

Yes
i have one of these, can increase share of local housing association every year by 5% at market value, minus any improvements
Russ

2nd Jan 13 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
My sisters fiancée has one on this and it's a good deal if you don't earn that much and dont want to rent. His combined mortgage and rent is less than the rent on comparable properties. Good if you can't realistically save a proper deposit. Also good if house prices are a joke, like they are.
this too, my rent+mortgage on a 3 bed semi with large garden and off road parking for about 5 cars is less than £500 a month. everything round here is £550+ for a two bed
Russ

2nd Jan 13 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.orbithomebuyagents.co.uk/main.cfm
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Jan 13 at 07:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Good if you can't realistically save a proper deposit.

That's kind of my gripe with it.

Its just low equity ownership and as such, very expensive. I bet if you add it all up, it'll be surprisingly expensive over the medium to long term and prohibitively expensive to get out in the short term.

As posted, great way of pretending to own a house but in reality there's no opportunity to realise equity for many years.

Good idea if you want to not be forced to move but do the maths at all times. All of these schemes are just ways to cloud the actual cost to live there.

New Poll