corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Renting - Mouldy Walls - Where Do I Stand?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Renting - Mouldy Walls - Where Do I Stand?
MJFF88

User status: Offline
9th Jan 13 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not small areas either, whole walls in some cases in three different locations around my flat

We've contacted the letting agent who said they had asked the landlord to sort out a plumber (One of the locations has a leaking pipe) but we've still heard nothing.

Do we have any legal right to withhold rent on health grounds as my house mate has bad asthma? Do they (agent/landlord) have a legal responsibility to sort these problems out?

Appreciate any help, it's horrible!

Gary
Premium Member

9th Jan 13 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read your tennancy agreement
jrsteeve

9th Jan 13 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have no legal right to withhold rent. Contact environmental health to arrange an inspection, if it's deemed hazardous they'll step in and force their hand.

Are you sure it's not condensation in parts though?
dannymccann

10th Jan 13 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was a student my bedroom wall was mouldy, I thought it was condensation but I left the window open all the time to try and clear it but it got worse and worse. Letting agent scumbags dont give a shit, nor do majority of landlords, and the council wasnt interested in an inspection so I solved the problem by moving out. Not what you want to hear but that is my experience!
Brett
Premium Member

10th Jan 13 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe not legal right to withold rent but that doesn't stop you doing it. They'll fix the problems before they take you to court or anything like that I'm sure.
MJFF88

10th Jan 13 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just found more

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Jan 13 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they outside touching walls? I had this at a place i use to rent and it was damp. The house needed damp proofing but the landlord doesnt have to do anything.

Best bet is wash it with bleach then use some silica crystals in a tub to absorb the moisture
Scotty_B

10th Jan 13 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wash it down, paint the whole area with gloss paint and then colour of choice. Should keep it at bay for a year or two.
MJFF88

10th Jan 13 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Are they outside touching walls? I had this at a place i use to rent and it was damp. The house needed damp proofing but the landlord doesnt have to do anything.

Best bet is wash it with bleach then use some silica crystals in a tub to absorb the moisture

Yeah all areas against are against an outside wall. Ground floor flat and the outside area is quite deep which forms puddles against wall when wet so I assume it's that.

We've washed it with bleach but no luck, where does one get silica crystals from? Agents got back to me and told us to turn the heating on.
Scotty_B

10th Jan 13 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ebay for the silica
sc0ott

10th Jan 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that plasterboard fixed straight on to an external wall?
andy1868

10th Jan 13 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Start off by washing it, the dettol mould and mildew stuff works well but can leave a slight yellow tinge to the wall, but that shouldn't be your main concern. You don't want to be breathing that shite in!
Russ

11th Jan 13 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MJFF88
Renting - Mouldy Walls - Where Do I Stand?

away from it
baza31

13th Jan 13 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One I rent was getting damp in a corner . I did a temporary job 6 month ago and like said above, damp cloth with bleach , then paint with this damp proof paint , then paint over with colour. Kept them off my back and hadn't come back
VegasPhil
Premium Member

13th Jan 13 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be a result of condensation in a flat. Right pain in the arse. Drying Washing, Towels, Bathrooms cause it at this time of year.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Robbo

15th Jan 13 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by MJFF88
Renting - Mouldy Walls - Where Do I Stand?

away from it
was just gonna post a similar thing
gazza808

25th Jan 13 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep on at them,
Just had the same hassle with my house,
It's been deemed uninhabitable,
And if the landlord doesn't want to fix it the letting agent will terminate the contract and in essentially homeless.

New Poll