corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's more important?

Poll: What's more important?
Garage and a big driveway 42 (82.35%)
Modern interior, nothing needs doing! 6 (11.76%)
Close to work... literally walking distance 3 (5.88%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What's more important?
kz

User status: Offline
30th Jan 13 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not anything specific so thought I'd post in here for more replies than in House Day... basically, looking to get my first property this year. Looked a few places online and there's three examples which I've shown the girlfriend, all with something different I liked.

Personally I think a garage a driveway would be great, never had either at home. I'm sure seeing as though this is a car forum, most people will agree. Then, again, the other two choices actually save you money!
BluKoo

30th Jan 13 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I plan on being rich with a lot of cars, so a (large) garage and a big driveway is paramount for me.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definatly garage and driveway. Bugger parking any of my cars on the road

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Root

30th Jan 13 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, all 6 votes so far..

I guess you're asking the wrong audience (car enthusiasts), so we're all saying the same? It's definitely what I look for when I choose a place to rent though. Need somewhere to store projects and to do work on cars..when I buy, I hope to set up a fairly cheap hydraulic ramp system in the garage
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Jan 13 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you're in a very comfortable position any house will have desirable things that you can't have.

From that list I'd go for garage and driveway just because I currently live on the 3rd floor and my car is quite a walk away and its a pain in the ass for getting shopping in there, compounded by the fact that I'm lazy and don't go shopping much so there's always loads of it.

Close to work wouldn't worry me as I've always had transport and parking.

Modern interior is a time and money thing, it is nice getting somewhere new and not needing to deal with DIY but you'll also end up with a cardboard house with no character if you're talking about new builds.

The actual list of things will be far larger, even stuff like whether the shower is electric or thermostatic off the boiler. Electric shower would be a big no no after having a lovely one for years.
jrdn7

31st Jan 13 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've gone from living in a 2 bed terrace house in London to a 6 bed house in Ireland in the countryside with a fairly long drive & a nice garage. Can safely say that, even tho everything decent is 30 mins away, I'd never go back to England!
Lee_fr200

31st Jan 13 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The interior can easily be changed to something modern, not always easy to build a big driveway if you haven't the space! For me though I prefer the outside look and a nice garden driveway and garage so generally the outside look, interior with my wife is always getting changed
sc0ott

31st Jan 13 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So whats option 3 about? Do you want to build your work closer to your house so you can walk?

I chose 1.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 07:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scope to do what you want.

Interior can be changed easily, room to build if its not big enough already, not a million miles from work but never within walking distance or you'll never knock off!

So a tiny bit of all 3

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
deano87

31st Jan 13 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of those garage and driveway.

I'd rather a garden over that though!
dannymccann

31st Jan 13 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The actual list of things will be far larger, even stuff like whether the shower is electric or thermostatic off the boiler. Electric shower would be a big no no after having a lovely one for years.

When I was buying my house this was very close to the top of the list on something it must have, I point blank refuse to use some shite shower every single morning and wanted it in and done so I didnt have to pay for it, I'm glad I am not the only person who looks at 'small' details like this!

Anyway, garage & driveway, after going from a house with a garage to one without it's a fucking nightmare The interior can be fixed slowly and distance doesnt really matter, you can't substitute square footage
davegreen
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 07:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

defo a garage and drive way. you can sort the interior out yourself but cant always make a drive or garage. personaly i would have a huge garage/workshop, kitchen, bedrooms, and a bathroom. no need for a living room becaused i'd always be in the workshop fixing cars if not eating or sleeping!
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First point of call for me is ALWAYS "is there a place to park?", and I mean like a driveway, not some spot people are gonna inevitably fight me for on the street.
John

31st Jan 13 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't have bought a house without a garage. The interior, things like showers I don't worry about, they can be fixed as time goes on.
kz

31st Jan 13 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
So whats option 3 about? Do you want to build your work closer to your house so you can walk?

I chose 1.

I don't really understand what you're saying?

I'm looking at three examples of properties and one of them is walking distance from where I work...
Colin

31st Jan 13 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can decorate, you can build a garage, you can't change the location so that's probably most important.

nathy_87

31st Jan 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've gone fro option 1.

Not because everyone else has, but for the reason, my garage is about couple mins walking, and if I don't park it in there, then I have to park it on the road, it's a bitch.
Ben G

31st Jan 13 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely garage and driveway for me.

We currently only have 1 space (and another in the garage) and most nights the focus is parked on the pavement. Always worry about retards scratching it.
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've gone for 1, but just outside space really.
I could have a garage built cheaper than the additional you'd pay on a house price for it.
Fonz
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hard for me to vote, i walk to work from a 1 bed flat which needed nothing doing to it (new kitchen and recent bathroom), lick of paint before moving in etc,
and i have a drive way....no garage i admit but as i have a drive while the other 6 similair residences on the street dont i am not complaining!
James

31st Jan 13 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Close to work for me, but my commute is currently a fairly painful hour each way so I'm biased.
Nismo

31st Jan 13 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I bought my house 3 years ago there was lots of things that i wanted but one priority stood out.

Garage and Driveway.

Now if i was on the market again this wouldnt be top of the list.

For me now it would be chimney / fireplace / ability to have a a log burner then a garage.
RichR
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just need an external wall for a log burner if you go for a twinwall flue. No need for internal chimney.

For me, room size is important too. Don't underestimate the sheer volume of shit that two people have. My missus uses our front bedroom as her dressing room and stores all her clothes in that wardrobe which annoys me but there simply isnt enough space for both of us to get all of our stuff into one room, especially as the third bedroom is an office. We're not precious about holding onto things we don't use/want but even so, with work clothes, social clothes, suits and coats etc. its amazing how quickly you fill up the space you have

oh, and off-street parking is a must
RichR
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, if its your first home together living away from your parents, buying a new build with no jobs to potentially bite you on the arse might be a good idea so that you get used to paying your way and how it is to live with someone else as well. You may buy it and split up 12months later and it'll be a lot easier to sell a house that is finished than one halfway through a renovation
mwg

31st Jan 13 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The house with garage and driveway is more likely to have more outside space for extensions too I'd have thought. And like others have said you can make the inside your own with any house whereas you might not have the room to build a garage and drive if you buy a house without!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's more important? 25 database queries in 0.0143681 seconds