corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » cooling system problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cooling system problems
regfo

User status: Offline
31st Jan 13 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(copied from another forum i have made)

some annoying problems still up with my car :/

exhaust is leaking puddles of water, it's a kind of rust colored water.

(the car only leaks water out the exhaust/backbox when their is any sort of liquid in the cooling system)

today, weather seemed nice, so i stuck the radiator back into the car as the weather has been keeping me back.

got the radiator back in, connected up all the pipes and checked for broken hoses along the way. was all fine got it connected up, poured in some normal water just to check for leaks as i don't want to waste money on buying liters and liters of antifreeze. the car kept the temp properly after about a 20min run, fan kicked in when needed, and radiator was fine and cooled the temp and kept it down.

hoses were hot (i'm not sure if it should be doing this, but the top hose and all hoses really where easily squeezeable) when i stopped the car running, i opened up the coolant bottle, slowly (whilst still hot) was barly any movement in the bottle itself. looked inside and all the water had turned into a rusty/brown/clearish sort of colour. and also looked like there was some sort of layer ontop (kinda like when you see petrol sitting on a wet floor after it's been raining)

i then drained the system again and the colour was very (it's hard to explain, but in a way i can say it, it looked a lot like Robinsons lemon Squash drink but highly watered down "very grey and milky as such" ) it also looked very gritty.

i then ran out of time, so i quickly drove the car into the garage as i didn't want the car to overheat seeing as it has no water in it. drove it in, and got out of the car and there was no puddle or drips coming out of the exhaust? i started the car up again and gave a blip of the throttle and took a look at the exhaust, not a spec of water to be seen from the exhaust or mani-down.

this has got me very puzzled and i hope someone can help and clear up some ideas thanks, and also sorry for the huge ass paragraphs, but it's the only way i can get myself understood

need to gain ideas on possibilities.

[Edited on 31-01-2013 by regfo]
corsadonk
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is water coming from your exhaust the only issuse? Are you loosing any?

Water coming from the exhaust is normal, if it's sat running for while then your give it a blast. The rusty water could be from a lack of coolent in the past.
regfo

31st Jan 13 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have random loss of coolant.
i had one day where suddenly there was no coolant whatsoever, as like overnight it just emptied itself.

i flushed clean normal water through the system and came back out grey with a tinge of rainbow layer at the top of the water. (told this could be combustion gasses in the cooling system)

Dan
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hows the oil looking on the dipstick?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
regfo

31st Jan 13 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do get a bit of crud on oil filler cap, and also a tiny layer of water on the dipstick, like beaded water on the stick itself.
Dan
Premium Member

1st Feb 13 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id be looking at the head gasket, with a test kit if oyu can borrow one, if not wiz it to local garage and ask if they can test it maybe?

Dan
Premium Member

1st Feb 13 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DOes the level look like its increasing on the dipstick

regfo

1st Feb 13 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will get a compression tester on it, flushing the system with bright red summer anti freeze, hopefully if it's leaking through to the exhaust, the red antifreeze will be easyier to see.

also going to take apart the exhaust system and pour out any retaining water in the system to get a proper test.
regfo

1st Feb 13 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, the level of water was at the same level each time i re checked, and recleaned.

New Poll