corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Old laptop uses

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Old laptop uses
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Mar 13 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a fairly decent dell laptop. It has a hdmi out.

I know you can run them while closed. So I guess I could use a wireless keyboard that I have with built in trackpad.

Is it worth putting a new hard drive in it and using it as a media centre type gadget? It can be hidden under tv easily.

If so what's the best Os to run on it as it'll be a new hdd. What software am I best to use? I have 20mb broadband now so i can stream/download quickly.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Mar 13 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just put a cheap SSD in a 6 year old laptop and bodged in a couple of 2Gb SO-DIMMs I had knocking about. The chipset is so old it only registered 3Gb, but the combined RAM + SSD makes it run like a new computer!

Dunno what the best media centre software is though.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Mar 13 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
I just put a cheap SSD in a 6 year old laptop and bodged in a couple of 2Gb SO-DIMMs I had knocking about. The chipset is so old it only registered 3Gb, but the combined RAM + SSD makes it run like a new computer!

Dunno what the best media centre software is though.

Are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? Because you'd only see up to 3 GB of RAM under 32-bit Windows.

[Edited on 10-03-2013 by Sam]
evilrob
Premium Member

10th Mar 13 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like your thinking, but unfortunately, it's a limitation of the Intel 945PM chipset.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Mar 13 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right. I never actually installed more RAM in a system than it officially support (from a hardware point of view) as I never knew whether it would actually work or not!

I guess you've answered that question for me now.
Dan
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got any other ideas?

I'm half tempted to stick a cheap small ssd in it and use it as a laptop again. Would be ideal for when I work away as it'll be ideal for browsing the web.

3CorsaMeal

11th Mar 13 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clipboard
evilrob
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I'm half tempted to stick a cheap small ssd in it and use it as a laptop again. Would be ideal for when I work away as it'll be ideal for browsing the web.

I can highly recommend this course of action if the battery's still up to scratch.

There's very little discernible difference for 'everyday' tasks between my refurbished 6-YEAR old Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz/3Gb RAM/SSD laptop and my 6-MONTH old Core i7 2.0Ghz, 8Gb RAM, SSD ultrabook.

It's not until you start trying to do something silly like video encoding, virtualisation or a mental Photoshop action that the newer machine feels any faster.
Sam
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an SSD in an old HP G6000 laptop, made the world of difference.
Dan
Premium Member

11th Mar 13 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The battery is still pretty good tbh.

Hmmm, decisions!

Dan
Premium Member

18th Mar 13 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I just bought a 60gb ssd drive. What happens when I install it and switch on for first time :/

I had win 7 on it bit I think the key on bottom has worn off. Anyway of retrieving it?

New Poll